Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Penny

Leah sat up in bed waiting for Daryl to get out of the shower. He was still unaware of her plans to leave, as was everyone else. He walked into the room only wearing a pair of pants. He had his dirty clothes and his towel thrown over one arm as he shut their bedroom door. "Are you okay?" he asked. She had kept to herself the entire day. She avoided talking as much as possible, and when everyone else gathered in the kitchen for dinner, she sat alone in the living room. She avoided going into the kitchen if she didn't have to.

Leah nodded, not bothering to look up at him. She watched with her peripheral vision as he walked over to a small basket in the corner of the room and dropped the dirty laundry in it. He then walked over to the bed and sat down next to her. He sat there, silently watching her as she stared down at her lap.

"Penny for your thoughts?" he asked.

She looked up at him and asked, "Do you have a penny to spare?"

He shook his head, "Will a kiss be a good enough substitute?"

She nodded and he leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers. It was a soft, simple peck on the lips, but it was sweet and filled with love. She smiled slightly and said, "I want to leave. I want to go somewhere else. I can't stay here."

"I had a feeling that you'd want to, but where is there that we can go?"

Leah shrugged, "I don't know. Anywhere. We could find a place and make it our own. I mentioned to Merle earlier about possibly going to Louisiana. We could see if at least my mom is safe."

"You talked to Merle about it?" Daryl wasn't upset that Leah had talked to his brother before talking to him, he was just shocked that she had talked to him at all.

Leah nodded, "He walked up to me while I was sitting outside and we talked for a little while. We can take him with us. You know he wouldn't last a day here without you, and he won't survive for very long on his own."

Daryl smiled, "Wherever you want to go. You know I'll support you. I don't want to be here much longer anyways. I was never very comfortable coming here to begin with, and now....well, it just feels wrong being here."

Leah nodded, "We can pack up and leave tomorrow."

"You're sure you want to go to Louisiana though?"

Leah nodded again, "It's the only place I have left that I can really consider home. We can go to my mom's, or we could probably stay in the flat above Sal's."

Daryl gave her and odd look, not understanding who 'Sal' was.

She smiled and explained, "Sal owned the restaurant I used to work at. He owns, or owned, a small flat above the restaurant that he told me I was welcome to stay in if I ever needed to for any reason."

"Alright. We'll leave tomorrow."

Leah smiled and returned Daryl's previous kiss. She laid down under the blanket and Daryl leaned over to turn the small lamp off. He laid down next to her and pulled Leah into his arms. She curled up against him and they held each other as they fell asleep.