Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Home

When morning came everyone ate breakfast in the living room to keep Leah company. That was when Daryl made the announcement that he, Leah, and Merle would be leaving. "Well, where are you going to go?" Rick asked, concerned.

"Louisiana. We're going to go see if Leah's mom is okay."

"Are you sure you want to leave? It's not very safe."

"Nowhere is safe, but I just can't stay here," Leah told them.

"Is it because of what happened to Cole?" Andrea asked. "Don't leave because of that."

Leah and Andrea had become close in the time that they had spent together. Both of them having lost their younger sisters, they bonded with each other to fill the void. "I'm sorry," Leah said, "I just can't."

Leah and Daryl packed their things and loaded them into the truck after breakfast. Lori insisted that they take a bag of food and a couple of extra guns just in case they needed them. When they were ready to go, Leah hugged everyone. She hugged Andrea the longest, "Please stay safe," Andrea whispered in her ear.

"You too," Leah whispered back.

"I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too."

They finally pulled away from each other, and Leah climbed into the truck next to Merle. Daryl got in after her, and he started the engine. Everyone stood outside and waved as the three drove away. Leah waved back, and once they were out of sight, she laid her head on Daryl's shoulder. He placed his hand on her knee and she smiled. She was going home, or to whatever was left of her home.

It took a few days, but they eventually made it there. They slept in the truck at night, with Leah in Daryl's lap to give Merle more room to stretch his legs. Daryl and Merle would take turns keeping watch to make sure no walkers came up. They rarely did see a walker, and when they did, it was during the day. Daryl would hit with his truck, and run over it's head, crushing the skull under the tires.

When they made it to Louisiana, Leah instructed Daryl on how to get to her mother's house. They walked up to the door and Leah opened it. The house was empty, but sitting on the kitchen table, was a note that had been written in haste. Leah picked it up and read it out loud.

"Darlings,

I don't expect either of you to come here, but just in case you do, I've gone to Sal's. Your step-father fled, I don't know where he went. Wherever you are, I hope the two of you stay safe, and make sure Felecia stays safe as well. I love all three of you very much. You're in my prayers.

Mom."


Leah smiled, there was a very good chance her mom was safe. As for her step-dad, well, she had never liked him much anyways. "Where is Sal's?" Daryl asked.

"It's about a half hour from here." Leah glanced out the window. "It'll be dark before we get there. We should stay here for the night, and we can leave in the morning."

Daryl nodded and locked and barricaded the doors. Merle slept in Marissa's old room, and Daryl and Leah shared her old bedroom. The bed was small, but comfortable and the blankets were soft. Leah slept draped across Daryl, her head resting on his chest. They held each other while they laid there.