Status: Complete

Because You're Mine

Walking

Lennon sat in the booth across from Cassidy, her elbows were propped up on the edge of the table, the backs of her hands rested under her chin. She stared at her untouched martini. To Lennon, Cassidy looked like an out-of-focus shot in a movie as she sipped her daiquiri, her red lips wrapped around a red straw. Somehow, she had managed to let Cassidy talk her into 'going out' after their shift was over. Lennon was bored though, and she had other things on her mind. Finally, Cassidy spoke, pulling Lennon from her trance-like state. "Who were they anyways?"

"Who?" Lennon asked, looking up. She blinked once and her vision cleared. Cassidy looked normal again.

"The guys you were obviously avoiding."

Lennon thought for a moment, trying to think of what to tell her. "Neighbors. We....um...we had a little...disagreement, and I'm just trying to clear my mind before I talk to them again." It wasn't a complete lie. Lennon was trying to clear her mind, get her thoughts straight, figure things out. But there hadn't actually been a 'disagreement'. At least not the usual kind that involved arguing.

"Oh."

Lennon arched one eyebrow, curious as to why Cassidy had so easily dropped the subject, but she didn't say anything, happy to not have to talk about Connor or Murphy anymore.

"So...." Cassidy said when the silence had started to become awkward. "How are things with you and-oh, wait, never mind. I forgot."

"Forgot what?"

"About Grady's disappearance. I seen it on the news a few weeks ago, but I guess it slipped my mind." There was another short pause, then Cassidy added, "Sorry."

Lennon shook her head, "It's fine. Really."

"They still don't know what happened?" Cassidy asked.

Lennon shook her head, and they probably never will, she thought. She wasn't going to say it out loud though. She intended to never say it out loud, not even to Quinn. Quinn had to know what Connor and Murphy were, but she didn't have to know everything.

They chatted about nothing in particular after that. Lennon still didn't bother with her drink. It just sat there on the hard, polished wood table. She watched the little beads of liquid roll down the side of the glass, creating a rim at the bottom. It always fascinated Lennon how drinks seemed to sweat, even when there was no ice in the glass.

Finally, Cassidy's attention was brought to the door. "My honey just arrived, so I'm going to go. I'll see you later." Cassidy grabbed her purse, pulling out the money to pay for her drinks before rising from the table. She stopped as soon as she was standing straight and looked at Lennon again, "Do you want a ride home?"

Lennon shook her head, "No, I'll be fine." She smiled and glanced at her drink, "Besides, I haven't even touched my drink, so everything'll will be okay."

"Are you sure?" Cassidy asked, her eyebrows arched.

"Positive."

"Okay. Be careful."

Lennon nodded and Cassidy walked away. Lennon looked around the bar, filled with strangers. She sighed and rose from the table. She paid for her wasted martini and left. She was only a few blocks from her apartment, she'd be fine walking. Besides, the fresh air would do her good. She could think about everything better. She could figure out what to do about Murphy and Connor. There was a part of her that strongly wanted to just push their past to the side and pretend like none of it had ever happened. Everything would be fine.

Unfortunately, as she turned the corner of the street, getting closer to the building, she seen two figures emerge from the darkness. Lennon had the strong urge to run. Fast. She had to get away. "You're being silly," she whispered to herself. "You're just paranoid from what happened. Everything's going to be perfectly fine. You're almost home, just a few more steps."

She glanced back at the approaching figures. She could barely see in the dim streetlights and moonlight that they were men. They weren't too much taller than her, but they were considerably larger. Muscled-bound. Images flashed in Lennon's mind of the night she was kidnapped. The large van pulled up, two men- muscle-bound men- got out and grabbed her. As soon as she had opened her mouth to scream for help, a large meaty hand had been placed over it, then the bag was placed over her head, obscuring her vision, making everything dark.

Lennon shook her head. She was being absurd. They had probably just left a different bar and were walking home, not wanting to drive drunk. They probably lived close by, maybe even in the same building. Lennon glanced back once more, they were even closer, and they didn't look drunk either. At least, they weren't so drunk that they were stumbling all over the place. Lennon even thought she seen one of the men's mouth twist into a sickening smile. Chills went over her skin, making the hair on the back of her neck stand on end. She took a deep breath and quickened her pace. She was almost there.

"Hey sexy, were ya headed this late at night?" one of them called out to her.