Status: Complete

Because You're Mine

Diner

Lennon was working the morning shift at the diner. She had her hair tied back in a pony tail, and the soft bangs that touched her eyebrows were pushed back with a small headband. Her uniform was tight and itchy, and the collar bothered her neck. She sucked it up and did her job anyways. She was refilling an elderly couple's coffee when she noticed a familiar face get out of a car that had just pulled up. She smiled when Murphy seen her on the other side of the window. There was another man with him, the same guy she had seen in her building before. They lived together. When they walked in she happily greeted them, "Take a seat wherever you'd like. I'll get you menus in just a second."

Murphy nodded and they picked a booth in the corner of the room. Lennon put down the coffee pot and grabbed two menus for the boys and walked over to their table. She placed a menu in front of them and asked, "Can I go ahead and get you something to drink?"

"Coffee will do," Murphy told her.

She smiled and looked at the other man for his answer.

"Coffee."

"I'll be right back with that."

She turned and quickly walked away to get their coffee for them. "Doesn't she live next to us?" Connor asked as he opened his menu.

Without looking up from his menu, Murphy nodded, "Uh huh."

Lennon returned with the coffees and sat them down on the table. "Are you two ready to order? Or do you need a few more minutes?"

They glanced at each other and Murphy said, "We're ready."

After Lennon took their order Murphy said, "By the way, this is my brother, Connor. Connor, this is our neighbor, Lennon."

"Really?" Connor asked, an amused smile playing across his lips. "I thought it was 'stupid fucking cunt'." Murphy kicked him hard underneath the table and Connor groaned in pain.

"It's okay," Lennon said, looking at Murphy. She gave him a warm, thankful smile for taking up for her, but she wasn't bothered by Connor's 'joke.' "I guess you heard that last night?"

"And every other night that you two get into an argument."

She bit her bottom lip as embarrassment washed over her face. "I'm sorry. When Grady gets drunk he gets loud and angry, and when he starts shouting it makes me angry-"

Murphy interrupted her rambling, "It's fine. You don't have to apologize."

She smiled again, stunning Murphy again with her perfect, white teeth. It was a dazzling smile that made his heart skip beats. "Actually, I'm taking your advice. I called a locksmith this morning, and they're coming over tomorrow afternoon to change the locks. As of last night, Grady is completely out of my life." Her smile grew, she was clearly proud of herself.

"That's great," Murphy said. "Why don't you come to our place tonight for dinner, to celebrate your new-found independence."

"That sounds great, but...." she trailed off. "But I told my sister I'd babysit for her. Maybe tomorrow night though."

Murphy nodded, "Tomorrow's great." He glanced at Connor, "You don't mind, do you?" Connor shook his head. "Tomorrow then."

"Tomorrow," she nodded and smiled one more time before turning away to go serve another table.

"You've got a thing for her," Connor said as if it were the most well-known thing in the entire world.

"No I don't," Murphy frowned. "Why would I like her?"

"Because you have a thing for helping wounded animals, and she might as well be a wounded animal."

Murphy rolled his eyes and quietly sipped his coffee while he waited for Lennon to bring their food.