Status: new

The Only Hope for Me Is You

I Fall Out Of Grace (Electronic Joker)

I just lay waiting for a reply, and I finally get one.

“Joker, it’s Cy.” I frantically fumble for the walkie and listen. “If you get this, we’re here. If you see a black BL/ind car it’s us, DON’T SHOOT. It’s us. I repeat, DO NOT SHOOT.”

“Okay guys, probably best not for me to know this because I’m no where near the doors-“ I stop as I realise the sound that is makes when you reply isn’t there. Fuck, it’s not working.

I sigh and throw it back into my pocket, going back to my previous position of occasionally glancing back to the scene below me; I see that Atomic is weakening every time I look back. If I wait any longer, she’ll be done for. That’s when I hear it, the sound of glass being violently smashed through, and the screech of tires.

They’re here.

I smile and look back at the scene, that’s when my smile fades, every single one of them has placed on a gas mask except Atomic. Exploder signals someone with his finger, and a spurt of white gas engulfs them.

I panic because they cannot hear me cough so I pull up my bandana, only making the tiniest bit of difference as I try and cough as lightly and quietly as I can, successfully.

The gas fades and they are still standing, Atomic violently coughing and looking worse than ever before. I can’t wait any longer, I just can’t. I spot that the gaps in the vent hatch are big enough for the nose of my gun.

I slide it carefully through, my eye looking through the gap below it, and I aim at a Drac’s head, standing just to the left of Exploder.

I shoot and send an instance surge of panic in the room along with it, in no time I’ve been spotted and have lasers flying at me which are hard to dodge in such a small space, as I learn when a shot skims my arm, burning through the skin. I wince and grab at it, but continue to fire.

When I look back down I see that Exploder is just standing there, staring at me. I glare back as he turns and walks towards the exit. Fucking coward.

I lean my back against the side of the vent and send my leg straight through the hatch, breaking it instantly. I jump down, landing with more style than I had hoped.

I shoot off the remaining Dracs, and look over to Exploder who has turned in the doorway.

“FIGHT ME!” I shout at him, kicking a Drac in the stomach so hard, he breaks a table scattered with tools of torture as he falls. Exploder just smirks and turns, walking out of sight.

I shake this off and turn my attention back to Atomic, who’s conscious, but only just. I slap her cheek lightly which seems to wake her up more and start on the straps holding her to the chair, I pull them off and lift her up by the waist, making her stand up.

“Wha-what?” she mumbles while trying to find her balance. I turn and see her things laid out on a table, I grab them and strap her holster around her waist, taking her gun out and putting it in her hand. I tug her jacket around her, looking back for a second to see if he has sent in anymore Dracs when I feel her hands on mine, stopping them from zipping up her jacket.

“I can do it.” She sighs, her voice croaky from the gas, just like mine was. I nod and let go of her hands as she shakily does up her jacket.

“Can you run?” I ask, tying her bandana around her neck. She nods, I smile at her quickly and take her hand, leading us both out of the cell.

We turn at the doorway, taking the opposite direction in which Exploder turns. He’s not worth the fight; we just need to get out of here alive. We run down the corridor, and I turn my head.

“Keep your gun cocked!” I shout, she nods and raises her gun, darting her eyes everywhere. I nod at her, just as I turn a hand comes out from a gap in the wall and grips my neck tightly, shoving me up against the wall opposite. I panic and loose grip of Atomics hand.

“Joker!” she shouts. I turn to the hand that has my neck, choking me and work my eyes up his arm, coming face to face with Korse. I notice behind him, his container he sleeps in. Somebody must have woken him up, I can’t guess who. I look up at him, struggling for breath.

“Come back for more fun, have we?” he laughs, his voice hoarse and deep. I turn to Atomic.

“R-run!” I manage, Korse notices her. “R-run Atomic!” She scrambles for her gun, aiming it at Korse’s head, I shake my head as much as I can in his grip. Korse reaches for his gun as I try and kick him, try to get his grip off my neck with my arms, but he’s too strong.

He takes his gun and shoots her. Right in the stomach.

“NO!” I scream. Korse lets go of my neck and I fall to my knees beside her, pressing at her wound but I know it’s too late. “Atomic!” I shout, slapping her cheek harder and harder but I get no response. Just those vacant eyes, wide open in shock, not blinking. I sniff, slumping back to the ground, sobbing hard.

“You…you FUCKER!” I scream, and turn to Korse, gun raised, ready to shoot. He's vanished.