Status: new

The Only Hope for Me Is You

Not A Good Idea (Electronic Joker)

I turn back to Atomic, even though I’ve noticed the guys coming down the corridor towards me. I start pumping at her chest, trying to wake her. Cyanide arrives at my side.

“Fuck, what happened, Joker?” she says, and I hear the other arrive around us.

She takes my arm, “Joker, it’s too late-“ she sighs, but I refuse to believe so.

“NO!” I scream, snatching back my arm, “THIS CAN’T HAPPEN!” I punch the floor, hard. After a few minutes of screaming and sobbing over Atomics lifeless body, I feel arms wrap around me and a head rest on my shoulder. It’s Kobra, I calm a little.

We stay like this for a little while, until I finally gather my breath and turn to face him, kissing him, he kisses back, holding my chin up with his thumb.

I turn back to the body and feel Mikey trying to help me up, I decide I can’t stay here forever, that Atomic's gone. I feel so fucking guilty. I obey and stand up, he brings me in for a hug and I don’t restrain, the tears still uncontrollably streaming down my cheeks.

I watch from his shoulder as Ray picks up Atomics body and walks ahead of us, Mikey takes my hand, squeezes it and leads me out of the building and towards the car.

I stand and watch as the others talk, Mikey’s arm around me. I can’t listen, I’m trying but I can’t. Images of Atomic and her face when she was killed flash through my mind continuously. I’m distracted as I hear the engine start and Poison and Cyanide have left in the car with Atomics body in the back, Leaving the four of us to walk back.

I feel my legs fail beneath me and fall onto the floor from Mikey’s arm, sobbing again. He turns quickly and kneels down in front of me, turning his head to Ray and Frank.

“Give us a few guys?” he asks them, nodding ahead of him. The two nod and slowly make their way down the road. He turns back to me and takes my head in his hands, putting it to his chest and hugging me tightly.

“It’s all my fucking fault.” I manage through his jacket. “If I had waited then-“

“Then she would have died sooner.” I lifts up my chin. “Think about it, if anything Joker, you prolonged her life.”

“No I didn’t, I ended it. I caused it all, I let my guard down…”

“No you did not!” He shakes me by the shoulders. “Listen to me Lauren,” he puts his face close to mine, I still can’t stop my tears. “This was not your fault. This was there’s. Didn’t I tell you, everything is?”

I sniff and manage a nod.

“And one day, we’ll get out revenge. Okay?” I nod again and he rubs my back lightly, leaning in to kiss me. I kiss him back. No one’s ever cared about me this much before. He gets up, brushing himself down before taking both my hands and bringing me up, brushing me off, accidentally catching my burn, I wince and grab it.

“Shit, I’m sorry.” He says, taking my arm and inspecting the wound.

“It’s nothing.” I say, taking his hands away and holding one of them in mine.

“Hey Ray, get over here.” He gestures for him to come over, Jet Star obeys.

“Everything alright?” he asks, stopping before us, then noticing the wound. “Ooh, that looks bad.” He takes my arm from Kobra, inspecting it. “We need to get it cleaned up before it becomes infected, which could be bad.”

“How long is this walk gonna take?” asks Kobra, rubbing at his forehead, he looks worried.

“A good few hours at least.”

Kobra shakes his head, and then spots Ghoul behind us.

“Uh guys, I’m no geologist but I do however happen to know of a shortcut.”

We all look at him in interest.

“It’ll save us a two hours.” We all stand gaping at him.

“Jesus, two hours? What are we taking the TARDIS?” asks Jet Star laughing.

“No Ray,” they all look at me, “the TARDIS would actually get us there in less than ten seconds, wanna know why? I’ll tell you. Well, as you all know, or should, TARDIS stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Spa-“ I pause as I notice they’re all smirking at me, Ghoul shakes his head.

“Lauren, your Whovian’s showing.” Kobra chuckles, I can feel my cheeks going red. “I love how much of a geek you are.” He smirks, I smirk back.

“Anyway…” starts Ghoul, “back to the actual point,” he smirks at me again, “if we’re going to do this, it’s going to be very dangerous, but we’re in a desperate situation,” he says glancing at my arm, which is still stinging like a bitch, it’s like I can feel the infection brewing. “so, the time calls for it. We are going to go down into a series of tunnels which will take us straight back just outside of the shack, but…”

“…But?” asks Kobra, looking at Ghoul with worry and confusion.

“We have to go into a SCARECROW industrial unit in order to get to the tunnels…”

“WHAT?!” shout Kobra and Jet Star at the same time, I jump a little. It must be bad then. They all begin shouting at each other, this is not a good time to be shouting.

“Guys…” I begin, but no one hears. “GUYS!” I shout and push them all by the shoulder, they all look at me. “What the fuck is a SCARECROW industrial unit?” I ask, they all look at each other and Kobra turns to me,

“It’s a factory…where they make and store…SCARECROWS…”

“WHAT?!”