Status: new

The Only Hope for Me Is You

'Cause The Devil's Got Your Number Tonight

“What’s your name?” I ask, he shuffles around, putting one hand in his dirty denim jean pocket.

“M-m-matt…” he mumbles.

“You got a Killjoy name?” I ask, pulling at my bandana around my neck. He shakes his head,

I sigh; I can’t just leave him,

“…Do you want one?”

As soon as I say those words his face lights up and he runs over to me and chucks his arms around my neck, practically choking me.

“Alright, alright!” I say, pulling him off of me. “Let me warn you now, the last people we recruited either ended up dead…or my brother.”

He clearly didn’t hear me; he’s too busy jumping up and down. I shrug; he’s too adorable to yell at.

I start to walk in the direction of the town, “You wanna help or not?” I ask, turning my head to him but not my body. I nods frantically and runs to catch me up as we walk towards the town.

“So…do I have to think of my name?” he asks, his face still beaming. I kick a stone in front of me, kicking it further down the road as we go,

“No,” I begin, not breaking my gaze with the stone, “I’ll help you if you’d like.” He nods again and I think for a little and see that he is thinking too, a look of intense concentration on his face.

“How about…” his face shoots up as I speak, “…Battery Diamond?” he shakes his head,

“I like the ‘Battery’ part though…”

I nod, “Okay…” and I go back to thinking.

“I got it!” he shouts, I jump slightly, “Battery Revenge…” he says, in the most dramatic way possible.

"Haha, okay cool." I say, nodding. “Welcome, Battery Revenge.”

"So...where are your parents kid?" I ask softly, not wanting to trigger any unwanted emotions.

"I don't know, but I'll find them!" he suddenly shouts, doing a karate chop in front of him, running forwards and then turning to face me as he continues his martial arts while walking backwards,

"I'm strong! I'm tough! Those Dracs don't scare Battery Revenge!!" he giggled, I giggle too, until I realise what he’s running into, a hoard of Drac filled BL/ind cars.

“REVENGE!” I shout and scramble for my gun, running towards him as he stops in his tracks, turning to look behind him, but I’m too late. The Dracs have already clambered out and grabbed him, restraining his struggling arms,

“JOKER!” He cries, pulling against the Dracs restraint. I shoot the one on his left in the head and he falls to the ground, only to be replaced by another. They then walk in front of him and I can’t shoot at them without the risk of hitting Revenge.

They walk behind him and I realise they’ve covered his eyes and mouth, his muffled cries pouring out of the gaps.

I run over to them but I’m almost run over by two BL/ind cars blocking my path to them as they shove him into a white van, slamming the doors and driving off. I jump over the bonnet of one of the cars and run after the van,

“REVENGE! I’LL COME AND GET YOU, I PROMISE!” I cry, stumbling over my own feet as I fall to the ground.

“Fuck…” I sigh, kicking the ground beneath me.

“We just keep running into each other, don’t we Joker?”

I jump slightly and clamber to my feet, shakily aiming my gun at the Drac before me. Oh, it’s that Drac, the one that time and time again has tried to capture me, but I always escaped. This time should be no different.

“I should really ask your name, all these times we see each other, it seems rude of me not to know it.” I say, my voice hoarse and tense.

“Plenty of time for that later, my dear. Now come along and we won’t have to fight this time.”

“Ohhh…” I moan, “but that’s the best part.” I smirk and jump in the air, launching my foot into his chest, sending him flying backwards into the bonnet of the car, so hard it dents it and smashes the window.

I put my gun back into my holster, smiling to myself as I dust of my hands by clapping them together twice, superiorly.

As the dust from the van clears I see where I am, I’m in the heart of the town in Zone two, how the hell did we get this far in?

I run behind the nearest waste bin, I remember these, always dotted around in towns. I have to hold my nose because of the stench and I realise I ran behind just in time, as a new hoard of Dracs walk past me, being lead by none other than Korse himself, I grab my gun again, keeping it cocked against my shoulder as I glance round the bin,

“Well where is she now?!” Korse shouts, smacking a Drac around the head, it grips its head, stepping back from him before speaking,

“She was here I swear!” he cries, blocking his face with his hands, flinching at the risk of another beating.

“Find her!” he shouts, but the Dracs don’t move, just look at each other, “NOW!” shouts Korse, stamping his foot, the Dracs all jump in unison and then run off in three packs in all directions, Korse walks off in his own.

I let out a long needed breathe, getting on my knees and peering over the bin, looking for any civilians. It’s clear, for now.

I clamber up, dusting off my knees. New plan, find Exploder, find boxes, find Revenge. I might have to find the guys first to find Revenge, but they’ll have to find me first.

Exploder must be here somewhere, Korse is near, so must be Exploder. I decide to go in the direction of Korse, following his heavy boot prints in the sand, walking for a good five minutes I decide to leave another note, I take out the pad and pen I stole from BL/ind and write again in Gungan, ‘Follow Korse boot prints, you’ll find me.’ I fold up the note and put it on the ground, placing a rock on top of it.

I walk on, following the prints still, until I come to a small house, where they stop at the door. I look up at the house; it’s more like a hut to be honest. I take out my gun again, I decide to climb up a half blown up drain pipe, but it’s tall enough to get to the window.

I climb up and reach the window and realize it has no glass, I shrug and throw myself into it.

“This just happens too much, it’s rather amusing.” A voice says from behind an outstretched arm that reaches and grabs my arm, pulling me towards it so I’m restrained.

“I should really tell you my name, shouldn’t I? Plenty of time though.” He chuckles, pulling me across the room, taking my gun from me, tucking it into his jacket.

“Easy there Dan,” says a voice I recognise straight away as none other than my brother, “that’s my sister you got there.”

“Dan…haha.” I chuckle, he grips my arm tighter so it’s painful and I wince.

“Why don’t you hand her over?” asks Exploder, Dan turns me towards him, I look at him, there’s not a scratch on him, he looks as good as new.

“Sorry, Korse’s orders kid.” He scoffs, but his grin fades as Exploder raises a gun to his head,

“Wrong answer, Dan.” He shoots him at point blanc range in the forehead, I jump as he falls beneath me.

“You…you saved me…” I say, looking up from Dan’s body, coming face to face with Exploder’s gun to my own forehead.

“Not exactly,” He grins, “just wanted you for myself really, please have a seat.” He says, gesturing towards a chair next to the window with his gun.

I back away, slumping into the chair. He starts laughing, I shuffle around in the seat awkwardly, he walks behind me, taking my bandana from my neck and using it to restrain my hands to the chair before walking back to his previous position, still laughing,

“You’d never guess what my dad told me the other day!” he chuckles, pulling up a chair from behind him, keeping the gun aimed at my forehead, his gaze on me. “He told me that my sister is fucking Kobra Kid!”

“Fuck you…” I say.

“You see, I don’t like that…” he smirks.