Status: Monthly Updates

Where Spirits Dwell

Chapter Seven - Compulsion

They continued wandering for hours, almost aimlessly. But then he looked at Skylar and noticed the slightly confused, but determined look on her face. It kept him quiet, and kept his feet walking, one step in front of the other. Even when that inexplicable trust couldn’t push him any further, he took a moment and felt the faint presence of that ominous force, its pull on him getting stronger the slower he got.

Eventually, Skylar stopped, so suddenly he didn’t even notice and walked into and then passed through her now incorporeal form. He began to open his mouth but she held up a hand, stopping him. She was utterly still, delivering a piercing gaze into the large forest, yawning before them.

Now aware, he began to feel on edge. Something about the forest seemed… not right, and yet it beckoned him forwards. He had no reason to feel this way, no reason to go off the wall marked road they were on and yet… He shook himself and looked questioningly towards the spirit, she would make the decision.

An agonizing battle played out across her face, a war for dominance. Minutes passed by then the battle was won, a conclusion was reached. She continued staring at the woods, as if it were a foe, a menace.

Then she spoke to him, unturning, “We’re going in. Whatever this compulsion we’re feeling is, the answer lies in there. First, however, you must tune yourself in with me.”

Jiordano focused, once again, but this time, he kept his senses open. He soon felt a melding of sorts, an inexplicable feeling, and then his perception opened. It was like a sixth sense, an untapped portion of his mind switched on. He didn’t need to try to use it; it was as automatic as breathing. He felt a tide of life around him, the presence, their aura. His mind seemed to touch each, gauging it of its danger, once satisfied of the lack of threat, it would move on.

He watched Skylar enter the woods, his extra sense wandering in its small radius. He quickly followed her; a sense of protection came from her very presence, her uninterpretable aura.

They wandered deep into the forest, no purpose in their direction, just the compulsion driving them onwards. The flow of life around them was weak, almost indistinguishable, as if the forest was trying to hide itself from them.

Soon Skylar stopped, head tilted in confusion. Her perception, larger and better than his own, must have sensed something. Then he felt it too. A large predator, the monster variety. It walked just within the borders of his senses. Not straying too far inward, it seemed to be watching them, assessing their presence. Then as if its own senses had alerted it to something it began to retreat warily, its assessment coming to a swift close. It soon passed out of his perceptions range, but the bizarre occurrence stayed imprinted in his psych.

Skylar stood planted firmly in place for a few moments longer, then nodded to herself and continued walking. His strange sense of the environment began to dim until it was gone but one feeling remained, Skylar was more on guard than ever.

With this dire feeling set firmly within him, they continued in their aimless drift through the eternal sea of green.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to thank all of you readers who have read up to this point. It really means a lot to me, so thank you again (expect a lot of these in my notes).