Introvert's Mind

un.

The rush of students towards the doors, that looked awfully fragile, was terrifying. Flashes of colors flied in the hallway, glimpses of revealed skin with gleams of sweat mingled with them. Crumpled pieces of paper and used pencils littered the ground while some lockers were still wide open in the hallways of the high school. The halls were all empty now, every kid having practically thrown themselves out of the chairs they were almost jumping on and having ran outside. They didn't even care to actually go home, all they wanted to do was to get out of the place they had been forced to go to for 10 months, say sappy goodbyes to people that they didn't like that much, and go do whatever the hell they wanted.

Thomas Sterling was walking quietly down the hall, not at all in a rush like his classmates. His black hair was covering his eyes, the tips ending annoyingly at his jaw, which he pushed away with a growing sense of dissatisfaction. As he walked, he made a quick mental note to get his hair cut. He was kicking the junk on the floor, trying to rejoice in the fact that school was officially over for the year and he wouldn't have to see these people for another two months. The hall felt odd, though, too empty and without the constant chattering of teenagers. It didn't have the girls who were bickering about their latest boyfriends, or the guys who were talking about which player made the best play in the game the other night, or even the teachers attempting to yell at miscreants over the noise. It all felt so empty, and suddenly Thomas didn't like that feeling anymore, not even the slightest bit. It wasn't long until his Converse sneakers were hitting the floor quickly and moments later the sun was hitting his back and the air was once again filled with the frantic excitement of the last day of school.

People were jumping around, screaming at each other; some girls cried while clutching to their friends like it was their last day on earth, as some of the guys were trying not to be seen laughing at their end-of-year sorrow. Thomas felt pathetically apart from it, feeling as if it was just a movie he was watching. Suddenly, that image was shattered by a body being flung over him, sending him stumbling a few steps back. Annoyed yet slightly amused, the boy looked at the body on the ground, which belonged to none other than his friend's, Luke. The lanky boy’s glasses were thrown across the grass probably earning them another scratch while he was trying to untangle himself. Thomas shook his head in amusement before going to help his friend up, dusting the grass out of his brown hair at the same time. Luke gave him a grin before picking up his glasses and putting them on, not even noticing the scratches on them anymore. “Sorry, man, I tripped. Are you ready to go?” Of course, Luke only wanted a drive home.

The two boys walked across the field, avoiding flying arms and making sure no one stepped on their feet. They made their way through the parking lot until they saw Thomas’s car, but neither of them took a second glance at it because there was something a bit more interesting in the next slot. It was occupied by a truck and there was a gang of people sitting in the back, smoking their joints and cigarettes while drinking beer. But that’s not exactly what caught their attention the most; it was the girl sitting in between the guys, laughing loudly while blowing a smoke ring. Her blonde hair flowed freely in the wind and her leg was strewn over the side lazily so that you could almost see her underwear peeking out of her shorts. This girl was none other than Dakotah Samuels. She was that girl that was always at parties and couldn't give a rat’s ass about grades. She was the one that most guys wanted although not many of them got that chance. She wasn't the most beautiful, or the skinniest girl in the world, but she just had that air about her that made everyone want to know her. She was the craziest girl ever; most stories you heard about her didn't seem possible but every time it was proven true. She was Dakotah Samuels and that's all she needed to be.

Neither Thomas nor Luke had ever talked to her, though, except for the time where she asked Luke for a pencil, and Luke did mention it every once in a while. She was just this sort of untouchable person, someone you could talk about and spread rumours about, but not someone you could just go up to and start a conversation.

“Guys! If you don’t want to join us, move your asses!” one of the guy’s yelled at them, earning barks of laughter from everyone, making both of the boys blush and Luke quickly ducked to the Corolla’s passenger seat. Thomas took another look at the people surrounding them, wondering how they could be so easily amused, but then got in his beat-up car as well.

Luke had his head in his hands and was moaning something about ‘stupid loser’ which Thomas decided to ignore for his friend’s sake. The car was exceptionally hot, and both of them rolled down their windows so they wouldn't die while Thomas turned on the piece of crap and put it into gear. Moments later and they were on the roads of Toronto, not going to that place for another couple of months and it felt great. Since Luke didn't seem to be in a mood to talk too much, Thomas just put on the radio where Golden Train was playing and it just seemed to put things alright again.

Thomas stopped the car in front of the suburban house and looked over to Luke who was now back to his normal self and had a huge smile on that silly face of his. “I’ll see you around, Thomas. Just, be happy, OK?” The latter offered him a small smile, but that was enough for the two of them and Luke got out of the car. The boy sighed, cracked his knuckles loudly and then started the car once more and set off.

It was summer, but he still didn't know how memorable this summer would be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Beta by Alexander Bernadotte
<3