Introvert's Mind

quatre.

"You're the boy who's always so quiet." Dakotah continued, stepping closer to him so it now seemed like she was waiting in line with him. "Why don't you ever talk?"

Thomas's eyebrows shot up and then just as quickly he frowned. He didn't really understand the question, or if he did he could not think of an answer. Who asked this question to people?

"Yeah, yeah, I know I'm nosy." the girl said, still continuing her one-sided conversation while the line moved forward. The boy couldn’t help but notice how short her denim shorts were and how her shirt seemed to hug all the right curves.

"Why are you talking to me?" Thomas finally managed to utter out, although he almost immediately regretted it. Why the hell was he questioning this? Dakotah Samuels was speaking to him, actually talking to him, one did not just ask why to this. The girl didn't seem to mind though because she only laughed, quite loudly at that, acting as if she was completely comfortable while Thomas felt as if he was going to puke. Screw the Zipper, this would do it for him.

“Because, you seem like an interesting person. You don’t act like the other people at our school. You’re different and I like that.” Dakotah replied, nudging him slightly as the line moved again. They were almost to the ride and Luke hadn’t come back from the bathroom yet. Thomas was starting to get anxious but he didn’t have time to think too much about it because Dakotah, thankfully, interrupted his thoughts.

“You didn’t answer my question, Thomas.” she said sternly but when the boy looked at her he saw the amusement in her eyes. “Why are you so quiet?”

Thomas had never thought about it, obviously. He still hadn’t answered her when they arrived at the front of the line and before he even knew it he was stuck in the small compartment with Dakotah. He caught a whiff of her scent, which consisted of cigarettes mixed with perfume. The door shut and now Thomas could only see through the grid. The man who was working there spun them around a few times and the boy grabbed for the safety bars in front of him. His companion only let out another loud burst of laughter, her blonde hair flying everywhere as the ride actually began. Thomas’s breath hitched in his throat, bile rising in his throat. Next to him, Dakotah was laughing hysterically and after a moment, Thomas joined in.

“Come on! Tilt backwards!” she yelled and then followed her own words by shifting her body weight. Thomas grinned, following her instructions and moments later the compartment flipped backwards, making both of them let out a shriek of surprise before another surge of laughter erupted.

Sadly, the ride ended much too soon and the two of them got out of the Zipper, both swaying a bit on their feet. Thomas clutched his stomach a bit, groaning. He wouldn’t be eating anytime soon. Dakotah seemed to be doing the same thing, although she had the biggest smile on her ruby-red lips. They moved out of the way of everyone who was passing by, multiple people waving over at Dakotah although she didn’t reply to most of them.

“Well, Thomas, that was fun but I’ve got to go. Prior engagements with a special clown and seeing how many times we can get in trouble before they kick us out.” Dakotah winked at him as she said this and Thomas let out a small chuckle. As odd as it may sound, this wasn’t out of the ordinary for this girl. “There’s a party tomorrow night though, at Shawn Carwen’s place. You should come! It’ll be fun! You know the parties at Shawn’s place, they’re always fucking crazy. Also you still need to answer my question, don’t forget.”

The girl smiled at him, waved goodbye and then she was gone, engulfed in the crowd, only the top of her blonde head appearing. Thomas continued to stand there, alone now. He still couldn’t wrap his mind around everything that had just happened. Dakotah talking to him. Going in the Zipper with Dakotah and laughing with her. Dakotah inviting him to a party.

It was all too much and Thomas was left standing there with an expression that probably seemed close to the one of someone who had just won the lottery but had also heard that their aunt was dead. Complete bewilderment.

“Hey! I thought I told you to wait in line for me!” Luke’s voice came from behind him and when Thomas turned around he could see that the other boy looked quite flustered. Thomas wanted to roll his eyes at his childish behaviour. Sometimes, Thomas really didn’t like his best friend.

“Whatever. Do you want to go on the Ferris wheel? I hear some girls just go and strip in those things.”

Thomas shook his head but followed Luke to the Ferris wheel, listening to him rambling about breasts once more, which was quite funny since Thomas was certain that Luke had never even kissed a girl before. He didn’t tell Luke about Dakotah, though. He wouldn’t tell him, not yet at least. He wanted to cherish the moment; he wanted to forge it in his memory forever.

As they climbed in the Ferris wheel, only one thought was running through his mind. He couldn’t wait until the party.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3