Introvert's Mind

cinq.

“You cannot wear that.” Clary stated when Thomas tried on one of his old t-shirts. The boy rolled his eyes, glancing over at his sister who was lying on his bed, texting while still keeping an eye out to criticize him.

‘Why did I ask her to help me?’ Thomas thought, not for the first time since he had started trying on clothes. The only thing the both of them had agreed on until now had been what belt he was going to wear.

The party was that night and Thomas was just a body controlled by nervousness. It had been quite funny though when he had told Clary where he was going that night, she couldn't believe he had actually been invited to a party. It was something almost unheard of in their household.

“What the hell do you want me to wear, Clary? How about you just go pick something out?!” Thomas was speaking out more in annoyance than anything else but his sister got up, dropping her phone and walking to his closet, although there were almost no clothes in it since everything was strewn on the floor.

The guy knew he was being too snappy with her, but honestly it had been a long time since he had been this nervous and he was nervous most of the time. He wasn't one to socialize, or if he was at social events he dragged Luke with him and only spoke to him the entire time. This night though, Thomas had decided that he was going to go to this party alone but that he was going to take the opportunity to try and talk to new people, especially Dakotah.

He didn't understand his reasoning either.

“Here, wear this.” Clary suddenly said, snapping him out of his thoughts. She held out a pair of dark jeans and a dark green flannel shirt.

“Are you sure?” he asked, hesitant because he had almost never worn those clothes.

“Just try it on; I can even make you look good.”

Thomas rolled his eyes at his sister’s tone but complied, quickly changing as Clary averted her eyes towards her cell phone, yet again. It was as if her eyes were continually glued to it and they were lucky if she even spared a second for the real world.

“Alright, I’m good.” Thomas simply said, looking in the mirror with disdain.

It couldn't be said that he looked amazing. The shirt clung awkwardly on his skinny frame but he had to admit, the jeans did make him look like he was taller.

“Oh, God, here, let me have a go at it.” Clary said, shaking her head as she seemed horror struck. She stood before him, a good head shorter, and looked at him up and down, probably trying to figure out what she could do to make the outfit work. Suddenly, she grinned and her eyes seemed to light up. “How could I not have seen this before?” she muttered before rolling up the sleeves of his shirt so that it was now at three-quarters.

“There!” his sister exclaimed, taking a step back to examine her work. Raising an eyebrow, Thomas looked at himself in the mirror again, and he almost couldn't believe it. How could the simple act of rolling up his sleeves a bit make the shirt look good on him?

“Shit, Clar, thanks!” Thomas turned to his sister with a smile but this one only shrugged; a small smirk on her unnaturally pink lips.

“Well, I am going to be a fashion designer so what better way to train myself than to try to make whatever you wear look good. Anyways, I’m going to Laury’s for the night. Just make sure you’re back by 2 o’clock tomorrow afternoon because that’s when mom and dad are getting back.”

“Yeah, thanks again Clary. Have fun.” Thomas said and his sister shot him a last smile before going to her room, to do whatever the hell she always did in there. He had never really figured it out.

Thomas didn't think of this anymore as he looked in the mirror once more. Yeah, he thought, he looked alright.

It was only 7 o’clock and the teenager really wasn't planning on getting to Shawn’s house until about 9 o’clock. That way he would avoid the social awkwardness of arriving before the party really kicked in but he would also arrive just when the house wasn't completely full so finding Dakotah would be an easier feat.

Yes, he had put way too much thought in it.

Time seemed to slow down horribly after that. Thomas had absolutely nothing to do and he was beyond nervous, although he knew there was no need to be. It was just a house party, lots of people, loud music, alcohol and drugs. Chances are he'd blend in; just as he did everywhere else, almost no one would talk to him.

This did not appease him whatsoever.

The house was completely silent as Thomas paced across his room, checking his watch every two minute. The sun was beginning to dim and he could spot a few street lights that had turned on. He looked at his watch once more 8:26.

He could walk to Shawn's house, it was about half an hour's distance. It seemed like a good option, he wouldn't be stuck in his house anymore and also if he got drunk - and this possibility almost made him laugh- he would not even have a chance of driving a vehicle.

Oh, screw it, he suddenly thought and taking his house key he marched out of his house, ready to go to this damn party and get it over with.

The evening was beautiful, a perfect temperature and there was absolutely no wind. Thomas heard a dog bark loudly and he guessed that a squirrel or something had caused his frenzy. Mr. Layton was sitting in his rocking chair on his porch, whistling softly to himself as he gazed at the sky. His wife would probably be in the kitchen, cooking something that would be quite delicious. The teenager always wondered if Mr. Layton was quite happy, because even if it seemed like he had everything to be happy, sometimes it seemed that he was bothered by something. He had always been especially nice to Thomas, though, and usually this one would have stopped to talk but that night he couldn't be bothered.

After plenty of walking and sour thoughts, Thomas finally arrived at Shawn’s house. Dakotah had been right; Shawn’s parties were always memorable. People talked about them for weeks before and after and there was almost always something outrageous that happened. One time a group of people had decided that it was a really good idea to put loads of alcohol in the pool, the next day when Shawn’s younger sister went in the pool, well let’s just say she was a bit tipsy when she came out.

Thomas had seen the house more than once but every time he was struck by awe. It was the biggest house for miles around. Three stories high with a pool, a bar and small arcade room, it was something out of a dream. Plus, their fridge was huge and always stocked with delicious things, or so Thomas had heard.

The party had started alright, the music was already quite loud and Thomas wondered why the cops hadn't showed up yet. There were already people outside, smoking and giggling a tad too much. The windows were covered by the bodies of teenagers shoving each other to get through the crowd or dancing, or whatever the hell they were doing.

Thomas instantly felt out of place and he was just about to leave when one kid turned towards him and ended that possibility.

“Hey, dude! Where you going? Come join us!” he said and Thomas recognized him to be one of those kids that skipped half their classes to go smoking, but who were actually really nice. Shrugging, he started to walk towards him and the group, ignoring his embarrassment. The gang was in a circle and although Thomas had already guessed what they were doing it was still a surprise when the guy, who he had finally identified as Frank, passed him a joint.

Thomas stopped dead in his tracks, a bit taken aback. He had never smoked or done drugs, it had never even crossed his mind, for some reason.

"Come on, dude." a guy that stood next to him said, taking the joint from his hand and taking a hit. The circle laughed, although it didn't seem all that funny to him and continued to pass it around, and once again it landed to Thomas.

"Just take it, its way cool. Plus, it won't make you as nervous, jeez. You're like a fucking chihuahua." Frank stated, his black hair covering half of his face. That, too, received a loud round of laughter. They were quite hilarious and Thomas couldn't help but smile and shake his head a bit, amused. The joint was suddenly shoved in his hand and he suddenly shrugged, what the hell? It was true that it would take the edge off, not that he'd get completely stoned, but still, it's a life experience. Yeah, that was his explanation and he stuck by it.

Thomas only started to feel it after two hits and by that time he was talking a bit more and laughing along with the others. The party didn't seem like such a big deal anymore, although he was still a bit nervous to actually go in the house. Finally, he couldn't delay it anymore since he had started coughing at every hit he took.

“Alright, well, bye.” Thomas simply said before stepping back and starting to walk towards the door again. He was met by a faint sound of ‘see ya’ and ‘dude’ before he reached the door and he couldn’t hear much anymore.

The minute the door was open it was like he had stepped into another world. He could feel his whole body shaking because of the bass in the music. The heat was horrendous and Thomas found himself craving the cool air of the outdoors. People were yelling and dancing, cups in their hands filled with liquor. The teenage boy instantly felt out of place, although probably not as much as he would've if had hadn't been high.

As he had expected, not many people really noticed him. Of course, he got a few strange looks and one or two hellos, but that was all. Suddenly, he regretted coming at the damn party in the first place. Obviously he didn't belong, and God knew that he couldn't make conversation worth a damn. Also, everyone probably knew he was fucking high. Thomas was really starting to freak out when out of nowhere a red cup was in his hand. For some reason, he didn't even think twice before taking a big gulp, making a face at the taste.

Alcohol had always tasted awful to him, ever since Luke and he had sneaked into his father’s storage when they were twelve and drank some whisky it had always made him gag but that night he didn't seem to care.

“Thomas! You came!” a yell suddenly sounded in his ear and he turned around to spot a glance of blonde hair and he laughed. She had obviously just arrived and had found him quite easily since he was still near the door.

“Well, duh! Oh, and I really like this. Whatever it is.” Thomas replied, taking another drink from the red cup, still not identifying the liquid.

“You’re high.” Dakotah simply stated, laughing a bit at him as he shrugged and started to laugh also. “Come on, let’s get out of here. This party isn't going to be anything special, I can tell. Now, you, you’re much more entertaining.”

Dakotah took his hand and Thomas didn't even think twice before following her outside. The cool air felt amazing and Thomas wanted to lie there and enjoy the evening but the girl hooked to his hand continued to walk on towards the driveway and Thomas followed her unquestioningly.

They stopped before an old Impala and Dakotah sat in the driver’s seat. “Well, are you coming or not?” she asked, a small smirk teasing at her ruby red lips and Thomas immediately nodded, a small chuckle escaping.

He climbed in the passenger seat and before he knew it they were on the street, going God knows where at 120 kilometers per hour.
♠ ♠ ♠
I bet I still butchered the drug scene, but thanks to for the birds for all the information.
This chapter was in memory of Jack Layton.
<3