Introvert's Mind

sept.

“You what?!” Luke yelled and Thomas quickly pulled the cell phone away from his ear, ignoring the ringing that followed. Returning his focus to the road, he made a risky left turn to avoid a blue car screeching by him and righted himself once again. Talking on the phone with Luke was never something that should be condoned and Thomas looked around for the rare police that sometimes passed by.

“Yes, Luke.” the boy sighed, “I went to a party, got high and then went for a drive with Dakotah Samuels. Now, will you stop acting as if I just discovered time travel and banged Cleopatra?”

“Dude, it’s pretty much the same thing! Both seem exceptionally impossible and yet you’re telling me that one of those things happened. If I hadn't known I would've put money on the time travel.” Luke’s voice was still very loud which made Thomas look like an idiot with his phone about thirty centimeters from his ear. This was starting to annoy him. Why couldn't his best friend believe that he had actually done this? Was it so out of the ordinary that time travel seemed more likely?

He stopped at a red light, impatiently tapping his foot lightly against the pedal. He turned and looked at the man who was in the car beside him, a business man from the looks of it who had a grin on his face. Thomas wondered if the man was coming back from fucking his mistress and was now heading home to his wife and possibly children. For some reason, he really hoped not.

Luke was rambling once more and Thomas listened halfheartedly, rolling his eyes at the words: ‘bullshit’, ‘Samuels?!’ and ‘party? As in a boy-girl party?’ He almost considered Luke his brother, but at that moment he wanted to hang up on him so that he’d stop being so damn annoying. He decided to do just that.

“Hey, Luke, I’m going to lose service over here. I got to go, bye!” and the man pressed ‘end’, ignoring the “Yeah, right!” from Luke.

Finally, some peace, he thought and sighed. The boy turned up the volume to his sound system, letting the soft strumming of guitar and the low voice of Dallas Green fill his car. He got off the small road and went on the highway, as he liked to do every day. Taking a drive, especially on the highway always put him at ease and helped him empty his head. The slow motion of passing through the traffic, feeling like he was actually going somewhere and accomplishing something, it made him feel normal if only for a short moment.

He was tired of thinking about the night before, tired of analyzing every detail to see if there was a hidden message or if it would be something he would remember for the rest of his life. He was tired of wanting more answers, of wondering what those silences meant, tired of thinking about what the people at the party thought of him. None of it really mattered anyways.

The sun was starting to set when he pulled up in his driveway. The sky seemed to melt with orange, pink and yellow. It was beautiful. Thomas really didn't want to go inside. His parents were back from their two day trip and Thomas knew exactly what was awaiting him inside. Yells and tears, or what would be even scarier, complete silence. Taking a deep breath, Thomas walked up to his porch and entered his house. As he expected, he could hear his father yelling and his mother sobbing. He dropped his keys on the coffee table and walked to the kitchen where both of them were. His mother was sitting down at the dining table, her head in her hands as sobs racked her body and his father was standing in the kitchen, yelling.

Thomas bit his lip, plucking up his courage and went to stand in front of his father. “Dad, stop yelling. You’re drunk and you’re making mom cry.”

For once, his father actually listened to him and shut up for a moment. Then he broke down crying. His mother got up from the chair and wrapped her arms around her husband’s shoulders, mouthing a silent ‘thanks’ to Thomas and walked his father to their bedroom where he would probably pass out for the rest of the day.

The teenager grabbed himself something from the fridge and then headed upstairs, heading for his room. He looked in Clary’s room as he passed and saw that she wasn't there. He’d probably have to go pick her up and one of her annoying friends later. The boy looked at the photographs that were hung on the wall, frowning at how most of them looked. In most of them, her and some friends were all smiling, but for some reason he didn't really think that they seemed all that happy. There were just a few, usually of when they were younger than looked genuine and Thomas caught himself staring at them, reminiscing on those times where everything seemed much, much easier. Everyone was happy then, his father wasn't drinking, his mother didn't look twenty years older than her actual age and Clary was still an innocent little girl, ignorant of the bad people in the world that would try to taint the good in her.

Shaking his head, Thomas continued to his room, flopping on his bed. He lazily checked his phone to see if he had received any texts, which were very rare. Surprisingly, he had three. One was from Luke, bitching about how he’d hung up on him. Thomas told himself he would reply later and checked the two others, which were from Dakotah.

Hey thomas, the first one said, a bunch of us are going to some camp tonight you should totally come!

He then checked the second one: Actually you don’t have a choice we’re coming to get you in twenty minutes see you soon!

Thomas stood shocked for a few minutes, staring at the texts. What the hell? That was about the time where he heard someone beep a horn outside his house and he realised that it was probably Dakotah.

He couldn't help but think that he was just strapping on for the ride
♠ ♠ ♠
<3