Status: Active-ish

Let Me In

f o u r.

Suddenly it became very difficult for Tom to show up at Skye’s flat every day. He would walk in and hear laughter, or piano notes, or soft voices from the kitchen and then immediately wish he could go back home. Of course Jonson Wylie kept to his word, and came by the flat every chance he had. Whether it was just to say a quick hello or to hang out with Skye the entire evening, Jonson was always lingering in Skye’s flat and it was killing Tom.

Tom hated Jonson. He hated Jonson and his stupid Australian accent. Within the past three weeks that Skye and Jonson had met, he’d been able to get her to show more emotion than Tom had been able to get out of her in the past two years. Tom hated how all Jonson had to do was just pop his head into the flat door and instantly Skye was smiling and laughing genuinely. Tom had tried so hard to help Skye and make her love her life, it was so difficult for him to get her to react positively, yet Jonson didn’t even have to try and it irritated Tom so much. He felt helpless as he watched Jonson take Skye away from him. Jonson just knew how to act in front of Skye. He said all the right things and wasn’t shy to hold her hand or lead her around the house. Nor was he careful about things Skye would usually be sensitive too. He’d make her meals, even though she’d protest if Tom offered. Jonson was able to get Skye out of the flat and take her to public places. Tom could only sit and watch. He couldn’t do anything as Skye’s thoughts started revolving around Jonson and how her days were only good days if she got to see Jonson. Just the other night as Skye was in bed and half unconscious she whispered soft words that shot knives through Tom’s heart.

“He’s saving me,” She said, her eyes half shut and a lazy smile on her beautiful face. Tom’s stomach lurched and a dull ache pounded in his chest.

He wanted no more than to hear Skye say those words about him, but it never happened. It was never going to happen either will Jonson lurking around the flat every day.

And today just proved to be another one of those days, when Tom was at Skye’s flat and Jonson was there. Skye was trying to teach Jonson how to play ‘Für Elise’ on the piano and he was failing miserably, yet they were both having the time of their lives. Skye kept giggling at him, then reaching out with the intent of grabbing his hands and moving his fingers to play the right notes. Then when Jonson tried to do it on his own, he’d mess the whole song up. Apparently Skye thought it was fucking adorable because she kept helping him and giggling like a twelve-year-old girl. Tom was sitting in an armchair beside the piano, a grumpy look on his face as he watched in disgust.

He was so unbearably jealous that it was eating away at him inside. He wanted to scream at Skye then rip Jonson apart starting with his thick, dark hair, but instead Tom stayed quiet and still. He was fucking drowning in his own mind. Skye didn’t notice though, she was too wound up with Jonson around. It really bothered Tom that Skye was beginning to ignore him. It really upset him that she didn’t even pay attention to him with Jonson around. He felt alone and left out. It was horrible.

Tom looked over at the two, Skye trying to help Jonson as he yet again failed to play the song correctly. His heart felt like it was falling out of his chest and he slowly got up, to avoid attention and walked into the kitchen. He gently sat down on one of the kitchen stools and dropped his head into his hands. He was getting way in over his head and it was overwhelming. He’d spent way too much time focusing on being in love with Skye and not enough time realizing that one day she’d find someone right for her. Never did he rationalize that the day would come any time soon, especially not with the way Skye was so stubborn and independent. Tom was so miserable. He knew Skye had feelings for Jonson and he was pretty sure that Jonson reciprocated those feelings. Tom knew that any day now Jonson would ask Skye to be his girlfriend and ruin everything Tom had known for the past three years. It was horrifying and hurting him every day.

Abruptly the front door to the flat opened along with a gust of cold wind, he heard someone shuffle around before Jillian came scurrying down the hallway and into the kitchen. She smiled briefly at Tom, shifting the large shopping bag in her thick arms before setting it down on the counter. She let out a long sigh and brushed the gray strands of her frizzled hair out of her face.

“I assume Skye’s at the piano,” Jillian paused a moment, her thick German accent making her words seem to blur together to Tom, “Is Jonson with her?”

Tom nodded, not able to get his act together enough to formulate words. A small smile broke out on Jillian’s old face as she nodded again then began to take food out of the shopping bag.

“Have you noticed the change in Skye since Jonson has been around? She’s been more relaxed. I think that it’s a good thing he’s taken a liking to Skye. I think Skye needed a little change. All this repetition has gotten to her head,” Jillian said as she put the groceries away. Tom didn’t want to admit it; he didn’t want to agree. The caretaker seemed to notice Tom’s current mood as she paused while putting away food in one of the many brail-labeled cupboards. Slowly she put the box of crackers down and closed the cupboard before fixing her gaze on him as she leant back against the refrigerator.

“What’s wrong with you?” She questioned. Tom flinched and looked up; their eyes met and he held her faze for a moment before looking down at his hands on the pale counter.

“Nofing,” He muttered, hoping Jillian would drop the subject.

Jillian sighed before moving over to the opposite side of the counter and leaning on her hands. “I thought you might be happy for her, seeing as she’s starting a real life now. Skye has been holding a grudge against herself for far too long now, aren’t you glad she is moving on? Aren’t you, her very closest friend, supposed to be excited for her?”

Tom’s throat was thick and he found it hard to speak. He stayed quite, hoping again that Jillian would change the topic of conversation. Instead Jillian only paused a moment, before questioning him further.

“Skye knows something is wrong. She may be blind, but she can see very well. She can see the way you’re so quiet and secluded. It scares her, but she won’t admit it. After all these years you’re the one who has always been consistent in her life, and now she is scared that you might walk away. Why aren’t you being as supportive as I expected?”

He swallowed around the knot in his throat and shut his eyes. He shook his head before looking up at the caretaker.

“I don’t need ta explain meself ta yeh,” He said, not being as intentionally rude as he meant. “I’m fine. Skye’s happy wif tha’ Jonson bloke, wha’ever. She’s a grown woman and can make decisions on ‘er own. She’s made tha’ damn clear and I’m gonna respect ‘er.”

The sound of Skye’s laughter floated into the kitchen. Tom hid his wince with a shake of his head. It was like he was being mocked; like being kicked when he was already down. Jillian studied him carefully before crossing her arms across her large chest.

“You’re jealous.”

She was right. Tom didn’t even have to confirm it.

“I’m in love wif ‘er.”

Jillian wasn’t surprised. She shook her head at him with sympathy, something Tom didn’t want. Tom met her dark eyes once more before getting up and walking down the hallway and into the living room again. Suddenly he stopped dead in his tracks.

Jonson’s hands were on Skye’s hips. Hers were gently cupping his face. Their lips were moving slowly together, the act making soft noises that hurt Tom’s ears. He couldn’t move. His legs wouldn’t take him anywhere, so he watched. He watched as Jonson kissed Skye like Tom had been longing too for so long. Jillian appeared beside him and she gasped softly.

“Oh my!” The couple immediately broke apart. Jonson’s dark eyes met Tom’s, looking like he had just gotten caught stealing a cookie. Skye’s head turned towards them, a surprised look on her face as her blank eyes focused on the small hibiscus plant in the corner of the room. Jillian let out a soft laugh before grabbing Tom’s arm.

“Sorry for interrupting,” She apologized with a polite smile to Jonson, “We’ll be leaving now.”

“Tom?” Skye questioned. He didn’t answer. Jonson cleared his throat and moved his hands off of Skye as he leant away.

“I have to head off anyways, I’m working tonight,” He said, answering Skye’s questioning expression. She nodded and Jonson slowly stood up. He grasped her hand before bringing it to his lips and kissing it softly. Skye’s cheeks turned pink and she smiling bashfully. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow, does seven sound alright?”

“Yes, that’s fine,” She replied in a quiet voice. Jonson smiled before letting go of her hand and heading towards Tom and Jillian.

“It was nice seeing you,” He said to both of them with a nod, before slipping past them. Tom had the urge to trip Jonson, but refrained, focusing on his nails that were biting into the palm of his hand. Skye was smiling to herself as she twiddled her thumbs in her lap. When they all heard the door shut, signaling Jonson’s exit Jillian let out another laugh.

“Mrs. Herring! If you would please explain to me what I just witnessed, it would be greatly appreciated!” Jillian exclaimed. Skye’s smile widened and she let out a girlish giggle. She just merely shrugged before turning back to the piano.

“He asked me to go on a date with him tomorrow,” She said softly, lifting her hand until it found the piano. She played a note with her thumb, then moved her hands a little before beginning to play ‘Für Elise.’

“Anything else?” Jillian questioned, trying to get more information out of Skye. Skye just smiled and shrugged again, easily letting her fingers dance along the piano keys.

“And he kissed me,” She said, not even turning her head towards the sound of Jillian’s voice. “I didn’t expect it really- I mean I didn’t even see it coming.”

“Of course yeh didn’t see it coming,” Tom blurted out, unable to stop himself. Skye’s fingers slowed for a minute until she stopped. She slowly shifted in her seat, but kept her head forward.

“What?” She asked airily, clearly confused by his statement.

“I said, of course yeh didn’t see it coming.” Tom was so fed up; he couldn’t stem the flow of words that came up his throat. “Yer blind.”

Jillian hit Tom hard on the arm. Skye’s face instantly hardened and he watched as she closed up; her walls instantly coming back.

“What did you say?” Skye demanded, her voice strained yet loud. Tom pulled away from Jillian and straightened his back.

“Yer blind! Yer fucking blind, Skye, and tis neva gonna change!” He shouted, his voice cracking. Tom couldn’t control himself, he wanted to take his words back, but he was so stressed and overwhelmed that he couldn’t take it anymore.

“Get out!” Skye screamed back, finally turning her body towards him. She stood sharply, knocking the piano bench over and sending sheets of music flying across the floor. Tom shrunk back a bit; he wasn’t expecting that. He would have never thought that Skye would actually kick him out. They were the best of friends; he didn’t think she’d make him leave.

“I- Skye-“

“Get the fuck out, Tom! And don’t come back until you pull whatever is up your ass out!” Skye was red in the face and pissed off. Tom had never seen her quite so angry. It seemed like everything had spun out of control so fast. He didn’t know what to do, so instead he turned and walked to the front door. He snatched his coat off the rack by the door before flinging it open. He slammed the door shut on his way out then ran all the way back to his own flat through October rain.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shit happens, y'know? I'm really sorry for the lack of updates. To be honest I've been really busy since summer started. All I do now is work, swim, and do volunteer service. I'm dead fucking tired and about to nap before I have to go to my best friends graduation party. Anyways, thank you everyone who commented. It was amazing seeing that you all still love this story even though I haven't been as consistent as I wish I was. Your comments really spurr motivation. So thank you:

YourPantsAreMissing
Hello Fascination.
Just.A.Cupcake.Lover
outthewindow.
Anna.'
lvximmx
Bambi Ray
selfdestruction


Thank you guys! You're the best!
Comment&Subscribe!

P.S. Jonson is in the 'Characters' section now so you can see what he looks like.