Status: Active-ish

Let Me In

s e v e n.

“I can’t thank you enough,” Jonson breathed heavily, offering Tom a grateful smile before he sat down on the park bench. Tom remained silent, following Jonson’s lead and sitting on the bench as well. The cold air whirled around them and leaves scattered along the ground around them.

“Wha’ did yeh bring meh ‘ere fer?” Tom asked, shoving his hands deep into his pockets and keeping his chin to his chest to avoid the cold November air.

“Well,” Jonson started, flicking his dark floppy hair out of his eyes and looking around at the people that were bustling by, wrapped up in winter attire to keep warm. “Christmas is coming up in a month in a half, and I have a friend who’s a doctor.”

Tom cocked an eyebrow at Jonson, confusion covering his flushed face. Jonson let out a long sigh, the cloud of his breath twirling out in front of them.

“He lives in Los Angeles, we went to school together until he pursued his medical career elsewhere. I was on the phone with him the other day, and he was talking about neuron research they were conducting, especially neurons and neurotransmitters in the auditory and occipital lobe,” Jonson said steadily, his dark brown eyes meeting Tom’s ice blue ones.

“Listen, I didn’t go ta school, I don’t care much fer yeh medical sh-“

“It’s about Skye,” Jonson interrupted firmly. Immediately Jonson had Tom’s attention.

“Wha’ does this ‘ave ta do ‘bout Skye?” Tom asked apprehensively.

“The occipital lobe has to do with vision. The neuron research they are conducting is about retraining the neurons in the specific lobes to learn the functions of other neurons and neurotransmitters that have stopped working,” Jonson said, “The denatured alcohol Skye took killed certain neurons in her occipital lobe that my friend is researching. Skye’s eyes are perfectly fine, it’s just the neurons that aren’t working anymore. They’ve been conducting surgery to replace the neurons and retrain others to do the job of the neuron that stopped working. He says they’ve experienced success and-“

Tom waiting for Jonson to continue.

“Disastrous results as well. He said the chance of Skye being able to see after the surgery would be far greater than the mental distortion that the others faced. He said only 1 out of 15 people have had the surgery go wrong,” Jonson finished, a pleading desperation in his voice. Tom looked away from his large eyes and down to the gray pavement.

“Why are yeh asking meh ‘bout this? Shouldn’t yeh be asking Skye?” Tom questioned him skeptically. Jonson sighed and ran his large hands over his handsome face.

“You know the best out of anyone how Skye would react to this,” Jonson replied, running his fingers through his thick hair.

“I’m beginning to fink I don’t know her at all,” Tom mumbled, the dull ache in his chest that hadn’t gone away since Skye and Jonson began seeing each other throbbed uncomfortably.

“What?” Jonson asked, leaning forward a bit. Tom shook his head and brushed a leaf off his lap.

“Wha’ do yeh want meh ta do?” Tom asked, coughing lightly.

“I want to take her to Los Angeles before Christmas. As an early gift of some sort. I want her to get the surgery and if all goes well, I want to show her LA and then the rest of the world. I need her to trust me and I know she does, but not as much as she trusts you. You’ve known her for years, and I’ve only been dating her for a month. I need your help to convince her to go to Los Angeles. I think this will be good for her and I only want the best,” Jonson said, his sincere concern written in his dark eyes. Tom blinked, looking down at his lap again and thinking for a moment.

“She doesn’t like taking chances much, but I’d say she ‘as changed a load since she met yeh,” Tom murmured, “I’m not going ta make ‘er go ta LA wif yeh, but if I ask ‘er ‘bout it fer yeh, and I ask ‘er ta fink ‘bout it, I’m not gonna force ‘er ta do somefing she doesn’t want ta. I won’t let yeh force ‘er ta do it either.”

“No, of course not, I’d never make her do something she doesn’t want to do,” Jonson agreed, nodding eagerly. Tom sighed, his heart dropping a little more in his chest.

“I’ll ask ‘er ‘bout it, but don’t get yeh hopes too high,” Tom said. Jonson perked up immediately, a smile spreading on his face.

“Thanks Tom! Thanks so much, honestly. Skye really does love you, she says the best things about you and I thought if you presented this idea to her, maybe she’d take to it better,” Jonson smiled happily.

“Yeah, don’t worry ‘bout it,” Tom said with a small smile that certainly didn’t reach his eyes.

“Thank you, Tom. I’ve got to get to work, but if you’re heading over to Skye’s tell her I said hello,” Jonson said, standing up. Tom stood as well nodding as Jonson smiled excitedly before walking down the pavement and away from Tom. Tom watched him walk for a moment, before turning and trudging in the direction of Skye’s apartment. Not only did he feel shitty about himself that Jonson had the girl of his dreams, but now Jonson was trying to fix her, just like Tom had desperately been trying to do for so long.

Tom walked down the pavement in silence, watching his feet carefully and trying not to step on the many leaves that littered the ground. He kept to his quiet self when suddenly he was met face first with another body.

“Oh bloody fuck,” Tom grumbled, grabbing his forehead and squeezing his eyes tight shut.

“Oh god, I’m sorry!” A quiet, woman’s voice replied. Tom rubbed his forehead and opened his eyes to see a girl, her hand clutching her forehead as well. Tom stuttered for a moment, his eyes freezing on her face. She had pale skin and large brown eyes along with long brown hair and bangs.

“I- uh-“ Tom spluttered for a moment before regaining control of himself, “My fault entirely, I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

The girls cheeks tinged a light pink as she let go of her forehead. “I wasn’t either,” She replied in her soft voice with a gentle smile. Tom found himself smiling back.

“I’m Tom,” He introduced himself, holding out a hand for her to shake.

“Mollie,” She replied, taking his hand and shaking it. Tom marveled at her soft skin.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized after a moment of silence, not knowing what to say, “I must be in yer way.”

“Oh don’t worry, I was jus’ going ta the market,” She said holding up a paper list. Tom nodded and smiled at her. She returned the smile easily.

“I’ll jus’ get out of yer way,” He mumbled, looking down at the pavement and moving aside. She smiled gratefully before nodding at him and walking passed. Tom caught a brief whiff of her perfume, it smelled of vanilla and cinnamon.

He began to walk towards Skye’s apartment, which was in sight by now.

“Tom!” Tom turned around at the sound of his name. Mollie was standing on the pavement, looking at him with an expression Tom couldn’t exactly place.

“I’ll be seeing yeh ‘round, right?” She questioned. The breeze caught her hair and spinned it around wildly. Tom nodded, his throat oddly dry and tight.

“Yeah,” He replied, “See yeh ‘round.”

She seemed satisfied with his reply and she once again turned and walked away from him. Tom watched her for a moment, before shaking his head then hurrying up to Skye’s flat building. He raced up the stairs two at a time before reaching her landing, he got to her flat and knocked, before grabbing the handle and opening the door.

“Skye, where are yeh?” Tom questioned, eager to tell someone about the encounter with Mollie.

“In my room!” Skye’s sweet voice replied. Tom smiled, kicking off his shoes and dumping his jacket on the floor before walking quickly down the hall and into Skye’s room.

“So the weirdest fing jus’ happened ta meh,” He said upon entering her room. Skye was standing by the window, her hand resting on the glass. Tom took her in for a moment. Her hair was pulled back into a tight braid that went down to her mid back. She was wearing a tight black long-sleeve shirt and a pair of regular blue jeans. She looked nice. Skye always looked nice, Tom thought, even with the sunglasses covering her beautiful face.

“What happened? You sound like you’ve just me the queen or something,” She said with a smirk. Tom rolled his eyes and threw himself down on her plain bed.

“I literally ran inta some girl. Neva met ‘er before, she was real pretteh. ‘Er name was Mollie, I fink she liked meh or somefing ‘cause she asked meh if she’d see meh around,” Tom said, not being able to control his unexplained excitement.

Skye turned around, a gentle smile on her face as she grasped her cane and clicked her way to the bed. She sat down carefully and Tom put his hand over hers.

“That’s great! I’m glad you finally met a girl,” Skye said locking their fingers together. “Did you get her phone number?”

Tom laughed, the chain on his heart becoming less heavy. “I jus’ met ‘er! I’d like ta see ‘er ‘round though, she was awful pretteh,” Tom murmured, thinking back on her soft and pale face.

“Awh, you’re smitten!” Skye teased. Tom blushed lightly before shaking his head.

“Don’t get too excited,” He joked, “I literally jus’ met ‘er, I don’t even know ‘er last name!”

“Well, we’ll find out! A new girl moved in two floors above us, maybe that’s the girl you ran into!” Skye suggested. Tom shrugged nonchalantly and rested his head on the plush pillows.

“Maybe,” He replied. “So wha’ ‘ave yeh been doing all day?”

“I was feeling the windows, it’s getting colder outside, isn’t it?” Skye asked, “Has is started snowing yet?”

“No,” He replied, looking out the windows, “The sky’s real gray and it’s been pretteh shitty weather, but no snow yet.”

“Bummer,” She replied, her thumb brushing the back of his hand, “I like snow. What about you? What have you done today?”

Jonson’s face flashed in Tom’s mind and he shook his head. “I met up wif Jonson, but we can talk ‘bout tha’ later, I’m in a right laugh mood and don’t want to mes sit up,” Tom said before sitting up.

“What do you mean?” Skye questioned, concern slipping into her tone.

“Don’t worry,” Tom replied, “We’ll talk ‘bout it later. In the mean time, would yeh like ta accompany meh ta the piano fer an afternoon of classical music?”

Skye grinned and nodded. “Escort me there, would you?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys so much for all the comments. Seriously, keep them up because I really, really need the motivation right now and you guys really keep me going. I love you all so, so much and please keep commenting. Thank you:

cuppycaaakeee
SynysterSmile
Reguna2903
outthewindow.
Hello Fascination.
-Ahh, don't despise Skye! She's in love, and we all do crazy things when we're in love :)
LipstikLullabies -Oh lord, not a panda!
As Above_ So Below
lexin3d
MelkChocolate


Comment & Subscribe

Twitter
Tumblr