‹ Prequel: Love in the Dark
Status: This story won't be as active as others that I'm working on, and especially not as active as Love In The Dark, however, as soon as I'm finished with one of the other ones, I'll start updating at a more rapid pace. :D

Riddle Me This

five

(Bruce's P.O.V)

I felt bad leaving Bethany at home after she had that episode, but I had to. Batman was needed at the Gotham Police Station with his answer for the riddle. Dick was with me, a suitcase in hand. We dressed in the Batcave, him in the side of the cave that wasn't used as much, pulling out a red suit from the case. I pulled on my headdress and turned to find my old partner standing in his Robin outfit, attaching his mask.

I smiled, "You still fit in that?"

He shrugged and moved around in it, "It's a bit tight in a few places, but... I'm sure I can fix that later. I'm actually more surprised that you kept my side of the cave."

"Well.... You know how difficult it is to redecorate when fighting crime."

Robin laughed and walked over to the Batmobile, and climbed in. We took off, and arrived to our usual back alley drop off and climbed the building to the roof top. We found Gordon coming out of the stair well, getting ready to signal us. We stepped out of the shadows, and he looked surprised.

"The answer was Batman and Robin?" He was amazed.

We nodded.

"Robin... it's nice to see you again." He held out his hand.

"I came as soon as Batman called," Robin shook Jim's hand, "We're ready to take on this force as a team."

A small explosion came from the stair well and smoke filled the air. Black and green streamers flew into the air, twirling with green glitter and white confetti. Robin had Gordon behind him, and a banner fell.

Congratulations! You solved the first Riddle!
Now here's the second one:
You know the game, you know the score.
But now, find out what's in store.
One to zero is how it stands,
and it earns a clap of hands.
You're clues are simple,
it's the same as me:
What's green and black,
and as much of a mystery?
Figure this out and you're no hack,
and Gotham's rich will no longer be history.


Robin and I only had a few moments to read this before policemen, frightened by the explosion, came through the doorway, tearing down the banner. Gordon stepped forward and handled the situation, telling this men what to do to make sure the spot is cleared and documented. Robin and I took this chance to do our disappearing act, and headed back to the Batmobile. We sat in the car for a second, then drove back to the Batcave. We were halfway there when we heard, over the Batmobile's police scanner, of a robbery that was taking place. We turned around immediately, and arrived at the scene just as it was about to escalate.

A man in a green suit and a black mask stood in front of the building's facade wielding a machine gun, shooting it off in the air. The front of the building had been blown away, smoke and some of the bank's money flew into the air, some of the green slips of paper blazing with fire. Men in black were carrying bags of money from the building, running to armored vans. Robin and I jumped into action.

I drew my Batgun and shot a grappling hook to the top of a near by building, using it to swing just out of the man's sight and knock him off his feet. Once he was down, Robin went, landing on him, knocking the gun out of his reach. By this time, several of the thugs that he was protecting were coming back, automatics in hand.

I went in front of a few, knocking them out before they had a chance to point their guns at me. I was careful, keeping an eye on as many of them I could while I methodically took them out one or two at a time. The police on the scene were coming in, all wearing vests in the hope that it would at least help in saving their lives. Robin was having trouble with his new guy, and I went to help him. The man in the green suit stood up and grabbed Robin by the throat before throwing him backwards. I tapped his shoulder and he turned and I punched him square in the jaw. He too flew backwards and landed harshly on the bank's stone steps. I flew down and grabbed him.

"Who are you?"

"Who am I is the question at hand," he said with a laugh, "And the game that be."

I frowned, "Have it your way then."

I turned and threw him into the back of an armored police car, the impact of him hitting the back creating enough force to close the doors. I made sure Robin was okay and we helped the police men capture the other men before we disappeared, arriving back at the police station. Gordon had time to turn on the signal this time, and we meet on the roof again.

"We have him in questioning," he said, "I want you two to listen in."

We nodded and followed him down the stairs into the large questioning room. We stood with other police men behind the glass, not saying anything to them. Gordon went into the room and sat across from the gentleman. In this room, I was able to get a good look at him.

He wore a greet suit with a black under shirt. Over this he wore a white tie with a purple question mark on it. He wore purple gentleman's gloves which he never seemed to remove. On his head was a green bowler hat with the same purple question mark. His skin was pale, and he had brilliantly red hair. On his face was a purple eye mask, that his his identity. Several things were confiscated from him, one of them being a cane that was golden with a question mark at the end of it. He was an enigma of a human being, and both Robin and I were intrigued.

"Who are you," asked Gordon.

"Who am I is the question at hand, and the game that be."

Gordon frowned, "You like talking in riddles?"

The man laughed, "Indeed I do, for it is who I am."

"You're riddles?"

"Close, close, but no cigar."

Gordon was quiet for a moment, then said, "You're... a riddler?"

"Indeed, indeed, bingo, my good sir!"

"You're name is Riddler?"

The man nodded, "Riddler's the name, and riddles are the game."

"What do you want in Gotham?"

"What every man wants in Gotham.... Revenge."

"Revenge for what?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a riddle."

"Was it before?"

"No. But now it is."

Gordon nodded, "You're being charged with destruction of city property, attempted murder, harassment of city police, burglarizing, and breaking and trespassing... you do know how serious these accusations are, right?"

Riddler laughed in response, "All are needed for my plan."

"What plan?"

"A plan you'll never see coming, until the darkness settles." Here he started laughing uncontrollably and Gordon left seeing this a hopeless.

"We have his prints.... We'll match them to someone hopefully."

We nodded, and said good bye to him before we headed home. I wanted to get back to Bethany, just in case her friend wasn't able to come over. Entering the Batcave, Robin and I undressed, and we entered the house through the library. The sounds of a movie coming from somewhere distant came, followed soon by the sound of laughter. I smiled, relieved that Ronnie was able to come. I moved through the halls and found the two girls sitting on the couch in front of the television set, the movie Love Actually playing on screen. Coming up behind them I said, "You do know this is a Christmas movie right?"

They both jumped and turned to see who it was, then Bethany jumped up and over the couch, "Oh my God! We saw what happened on the news, thank God you're okay! Were you anywhere near that bank?"

I shook my head, "No. We were a mile away."

She sighed and said, "Good." Giving me a kiss on the cheek, she turned to her friend, "Ronnie, this is Bruce's friend Dick Grayson. Dick this is my friend, Veronica Moore."

Dick was rendered speechless when he saw Bethany's friend, but he did manage, "H-Hello... it's nice to - um - meet you."

Ronnie smiled at him and replied, "The pleasure is all mine, I'm sure."

Dick dropped her hand quickly, and swallowed hard, taking a step back. It was interesting to see how suddenly he was affected by Ronnie's looks. She was petite - 5'5" - and blonde with massive blue eyes. Bethany met her at Arkham back when her therapy sessions had to be there. Ronnie was one of the saving graces of those visits. She's currently an assistant while she finishes her degree in psychology at Gotham University.

The girls asked us to join them in watching the movie, and we both gladly did so. I sat next to Bethany, forcing Dick to sit next to Ronnie. Bethany nudged me softly and smiled at me, giggling softly at the discomfort of Dick. I smiled in response and kissed her forehead, glad that she was not only feeling better, but back to normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Riddler eh?
Bet none of you saw that coming....
.....

Comments?