‹ Prequel: Love in the Dark
Status: This story won't be as active as others that I'm working on, and especially not as active as Love In The Dark, however, as soon as I'm finished with one of the other ones, I'll start updating at a more rapid pace. :D

Riddle Me This

seven

(Bruce's P.O.V)

Getting out of the Bat Mobile, I threw my mask down in anger. Dick got out of the car and took off his mask as well. I went to my computer system, sitting down roughly in the desk chair and began typing away furiously at the key board. I wasn't sure what exactly I was looking for on the monitors, but I knew it had to do with Crane.

"So, Crane getting out is bad, yeah?" Dick asked.

"Very." I said through gritted teeth. I pounded away at the keys, searching for faces on traffic cameras, looking through security cameras in banks, business buildings, common place super markets, nothing revealed any hint that Crane had escaped, or where he had escaped to.

"Should I help you?"

"Go to Bethany."

"And do what?"

Turning to him, I said, "Protect her."

Dick hesitated for a moment, but then gave a curt nod and went for the elevator. I turned back to the computer screens and continued my hunt of finding Scarecrow.

(Bethany's P.O.V.)

I heard the bedroom door open, and I turned expecting to find Bruce, but instead found Dick still dressed as Robin. Sitting up, I asked, "What's wrong?"

Dick paused, debating what to say, before finally saying, "Nothing. Bruce just wanted to make sure you were okay."

I frowned, "Where is Bruce?"

"He's in the Bat Cave... looking up stuff on his computer."

I nodded. "What did Commissioner Gordon want?"

"Hm?"

"The Bat-signal.... what was it for?"

"O-oh that, yeah... it was to let us know that there was a um... mugging down town."

"Batman and Robin get called for common placed muggings?"

"Hey, no crime is too small for the Dynamic Duo."

I frowned harder. "Dynamic Duo? Please tell me you didn't make that up yourselves."

Dick laughed, "Nah, one of the Gotham newspapers named us that."

I nodded, "Okay."

He nodded and went to the window, looking out. Turning to me he said, "I'm just going to look out on the balcony really quick. I'll be right back."

I nodded. I watched as he carefully opened the glass door and look outside. A feeling of dread began to creep over me, and I grabbed the blankets, pulling them close to me. I thought of calling out to Dick, but I didn't want to distract him in case someone really was out there. A creak came from outside the bedroom, and I gasped as I turned to find Bruce at the door.

Reaching out to him I said, "What's going on?"

"Dick was supposed to be here."

"He's outside."

Bruce nodded and went to the Balcony door, "Anyone?"

"No one," replied Dick coming into view. "I did a full sweep."

Bruce nodded and let Dick reenter the room. "Thank you."

"Did you find anything on the computers?"

"No.... But I'll keep looking later."

Dick nodded and wished us both good night before leaving.

"Bruce, what on Earth is going on?"

He frowned, "Nothing."

"Bull shit, Bruce! Dick comes in here looking around the room for 'someone,' then you come in all concerned.... Something is going on and you're going to tell me."

"Some of the Riddler's men have escaped custody, and I was worried they would come here."

I frowned, "Why would they come here? Did they find out who you are?"

"No... but they seem to be targeting rich people, and seeing as Wayne Manor is the symbol of wealth for the people of Gotham, I didn't want to take any chances."

I looked at him, trying to find any sign to tell if he were lying or not. Not being able to find any reason to doubt him, I nodded. Laying back down, I snuggled into Bruce's protective embrace, waiting to fall asleep again.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you, Bethany." Bruce's voice was nearly drowned out by the rumble it made in his chest. "I promise you.... I won't let anything happen."

"I know."

Waking up, I smelled breakfast. I smiled and I sat up stretching. The plate of food was on my bed and I smiled at Alfred's signature touch with the smiley-face pancakes. Pulling the plate over, I devoured it. The food was delicious as always and I smiled as I bit into one of the strawberry eyes. When I was finished with the plate, I found a glass of orange juice sitting next to the bed, and I drank that as I got up and went to the balcony doors. I didn't open them, but I looked out over the vast grounds of Wayne Estates as I sipped from the glass. When I finished, I set the drink down on a table, and I got dressed, throwing on a simple pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Pulling my hair up into a pony tail, I gathered up the dirty dishes and went downstairs to put them in the sink. Walking into the living room, I sat down and picked up a book on the table. Holding it in my hand, I debated on whether or not I wanted to read a book called The Decameron or not. I decided that I did, and I settled in for a good hours-worth of reading. However, I didn't get that far in the book before my eyes grew droopy, and I dozed off.

"Bethy," whispered a voice, "Bethy, wake up."

I opened my eyes and blinked to get them to focus. I looked around me, not sure of where I was, when I found the face of Bruce. Smiling I replied, "Hey."

"Why are you in here?"

Holding up my book I smiled, "I tried some reading... it didn't go well."

Bruce laughed, "I can see that."

Sitting up, I felt a wave of nausea come over me and I gasped as I quickly laid back down.

Bruce knelt down, holding onto me, "What's wrong?"

"I don't know... I just... don't feel good."

"Not feel good how?"

"Like... I'm going to throw up." I sighed, "It must have been the breakfast I had this morning."

"What did you have?"

"Alfred's specialty."

Bruce smiled, "Well, let us hope that Alfred's specialty doesn't make you sick... I would hate to have to tell him you can't eat his pancakes anymore."

I let out a smile, "Would you mind terribly if I asked you to carry me upstairs?"

"Not at all." He carried me up the stairs and to our bedroom where he got a trashcan and set it next to my side of the bed. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah.... I just need to ride this out. I'll be fine."

Bruce nodded and gave me a kiss and went to the door. Opening it he paused and said, "I'll come back and check on you."

"Okay." Pulling the blankets over me, I said, "I love you, Scarecrow."
♠ ♠ ♠
BOOM!

After two-ish years of nothing you all get an update! WOO!!!

Comments as always, let me know how you all like this one. :D