Status: unfinished but I'm trying hard to do so! =D

Dressed up in Faded Costumes

Was that about Dolphins?

Saturday morning was supposed to be normal; instead, it was just bittersweet with a tinge of unknown fortunes. I woke up at 10 remembering that my uncle was sleeping in the guest room.
I took a shower expecting a make-alright day. I walked downstairs and spotted my uncle up early searching for food in the fridge. I dodged the island and grabbed the peanut butter and strawberry jelly from the cupboards.
“Good morning,” I said.
“Morning,” uncle replied.
Although that greeting was the first in about 2 months, it ended with him bumping me on the shoulder ‘unintentionally’ after grabbing a bottle of beer he found in the fridge and walking back to the guest room. I didn’t let it bother me and I went on to get the bread in the pantry to make myself a sandwich.
I went on to the living room and turned the TV on. I searched for a show to watch and ended up with a replay of TMZ. I wasn’t really paying that much attention until one person reported about LIAM Neeson. Seriously? I laughed at myself and continued watching TV and eating my PB and J.
The phone rings a few minutes later and I answered it; wondering who it was.
“Hello?”
“Hey, it’s Liam.”
I froze.
“Uh, hey,” I said suddenly nervous. “Whassup, brotha?”
Stupid thing to say… Urgh…
He laughed. “Are you okay?”
“Yeah, it’s just a little morning humor…” I said giggling.
“I’m starting to think I make you nervous.”
“Nervous? Oh, you got it wrong…”
Now I’m defensive? Geez…
“Well, anyways, I was hoping we could get some lunch together,” he said. “Strictly not a date.”
“Lunch?” I said; painting a sudden a smile on my face. “Uh, sure, of course.”
“Great, I’ll pick you up at 12?” he asked.
“Sure,” I said, my smile turning obvious through my voice.
We said our buh-byes to each other and I put down the phone.
I went up to my room to find something to wear for later. I called Leila and Maria and put them on loudspeaker and tossed the phone over to the bed. I waited for them to answer and when they did I started bombarding them with my questions.
“Hey! What’s great to wear for lunch outside?”
“Lunch with whom?” Leila asked.
“Probably your brother, Leila,” Maria said.
“OH!” Leila exclaimed.
“So, what do I wear? Leila can you check what your brother’s gonna wear?” I asked.
“Woah, slow down…” Leila said laughing.
“I’m sorry!”
“Okay, I know this advice is quite old, but it’s the most effective yet. Be yourself and wear something comfortable,” Maria said. “Wear Chuck’s for all I care… As long as you’re at ease with it.”
“Okay… I need to breathe…” the three of us laughed.
“I can view Liam’s room from here. He’s struggling to find something to wear as well.” Leila whispered.
“Really?” I asked.
“Yeah, he’s running around his closet finding… the right pair of jeans?” she laughed.
“Why?” Maria and I asked.
“He just threw 5 pairs of jeans onto his bed,” she said still laughing. “He’s more image-conscious than the three of us!”
I just laughed a bit as I thought about how nervous the both of us were with each other. It felt weird. :) I put down the phone after Leila had told us that she was hungry and wanted to find something to eat rather than pop rocks she could find in her bedside drawer.
I changed my clothes and basically sprinted down the stairs with my phone. I ended up wearing black-wash jeans, and a white top. It was 15 minutes to 12, and Liam was probably close by. My mom was downstairs and was getting some food from the cupboards in the kitchen. (Why is everybody so hungry? LOL.)
“Good morning, mom!”
“Well, good morning, to you too!” she said imitating my excitement with her tone. “Where are you going?” she said noticing my clothes.
“I’ve got a lunch date,” I said saying it shyly. “With Liam.”
“Oh…” she smiled. “Well, okay then. I’ll be upstairs if you need anything, okay?”
I nodded smiling at her. She walked upstairs with a breakfast tray with coffee and an instant noodles cup. I put in “Danger Days” into the player in the living room; I played Bulletproof Heart and put it on repeat. Mom, Chris and Lea were used to me just turning up the stereo and me just singing to whatever song was playing. It was a habit of mine.
Half-way through the song, I heard uncle Richard shout at me.
“You’re too loud!” he shouted.
I took the remote and lowered down the volume of the stereo and looked at the staircase. He was holding a half-empty bottle of beer and he looked very red; just like he was every time he’s drunk.
I walked closer to him.
“Sorry,” I said.
“You shouldn’t be playing music so LOUD!” he shouted again emphasizing the word ‘loud’.
“I’m sorry,” I said. “Uncle, you shouldn’t be drinking so much,” I told him concerned and attempting to assist him back to his room.
He jerked off his arm and said, “Get your hands off me!” Of course I did, and I felt scared and vulnerable now. “You have no fucking business in what I do to myself! Now frolic along now…” he said. I was already teary-eyed when he said that—rejecting help from his niece—but I cried when I heard him whisper “Bitch.”
I rushed upstairs and knocked on my mom’s door and opened it. “I’ll be off now, ma. And Uncle Richard is downstairs drunk,” I said crying.
I ran downstairs avoiding my uncle, grabbing my phone and running out the front door. I kept running, still crying, until I bumped into Liam just a corner away from my house.
“Hey, hey,” he said grabbing my shoulders. “What’s the matter?”
I couldn’t speak or say even just a word. He wrapped his arms around me and kept trying to calm me down.
“Sshh,” he repeatedly said.
He was lightly brushing his hand over my hair while I just cried on is shoulder. We stood in the middle of the street for a good 3 minutes. No cars passed the street at that time, and it was just the two of us at that moment. It was just me and him.
“I’m sorry for wetting your shirt,” I said still crying a bit, but calmed down.
“No problem,” he said holding my head up and smiling at me. “I wore this shirt for you anyway.”
I smiled at him as he wiped my tears off with a handkerchief.
“I don’t like seeing you this way,” he said.
I looked at him and said, “Say something.”
“Uh,”
“Talk about dolphins and fields and Gerard Way, and bands,” I said, desperate to find a topic far from the reason I was crying.
“I like you,” he said.
I looked at him and the tears just stopped falling. I was dumbfounded.
“Am I supposed to believe you?” I asked smiling. “Was that even about dolphins?”
He laughed.
“I like you too.”
“Glad you do,” he said kissing my head.
We walked away from that spot after I looked at him when he kissed my head. His arm was over my shoulder and we walked just like that.
Lunch with Liam was fun and charming; almost just like lunch at school. We just talked about… you know… average, ordinary, everyday things. It was typical, a little awkward, and weird… but somehow special.