Keep the Secret

1.

“Be a good boy now, you here? Make mama proud.” The dear lady kisses her son on the forehead and pulls him into a hug.

“Don't worry mama, I'll write to you always. Well, when I learn how to.” The little boy smiles as he can feel the tears run down his mum's cheek. “Mama, don't cry I'll see you soon.” The confused boy pulls away from his mum.

“Yes, of course. Now have you got everything? Your card, your gas mask, clothes?” The boy nods and smiles. “Okay on you go, remember to show the man your card. I love you, baby boy. Remember, no matter what anyone says you're special.” The mum kisses her son one last time before standing up.

Her tear filled eyes watched her boy walk up to the man, she watched the man examine the little boy's identity card and nodded as sign that he could get on the train. The boy stopped and looked behind him, taking one last glance at his mum. He lifted his hand and waved; the mother lifted her hand and waved back before wiping her tears off her cheek. With that, the train took off.

The little boy sat down in a lonely carriage, he doesn't know what is happening. All he knows is that it's going to be a long journey. Though, rather exciting considering he has never been on a train before.

“Is there anyone sitting here?” The boy looked up so see a girl, older than what he was, standing there. Without saying a word, the boy shook his head. “Okay, would you like me to put that up there for you?” The girl asked politely as she offered to take the boy's belongings.

“Yes, please.” The boy cleared his throat before taking off his bag and handing it over to the girl. “Thank you,” he said so quietly it was almost a whisper.

“I'm Lucy Garner nice to meet you.” She smiled as she placed herself in the seat directly in front of the boy.

“I'm Frank Iero, nice to meet you as well.” Frank half smiled as he looked out the window. It was so strange looking at everything, things he has never seen before. Strange creatures in field that looked like clouds. Unusual plants that were everywhere, why has he never seen such things?

“I guess you're new, coming into the country side?” Lucy asked.

“Yeah, I've never really been away from home.” Frank said, gaining more confidence to talk. “To be honest, I don't really know what's happening.” Frank shrugged as he looked at Lucy.

“How old are you Frank?” Lucy asked curiously.

“10, yourself?” Frank started to nibble at the end of his thumb.

“15, would you like me to explain?” Lucy offered.

“Mama tried, but I didn't quite understand.”

“Okay, well what's happening is that we're being sent away to the country for safety. Have you even heard of the air raids?” Frank nodded, “well that's the German bombs. We're being sent to the country because it's less likely that we will be harmed.” Lucy said as she sympathetically looked at the little boy.

“What about my mama? Will she be hurt?” Frank questioned getting quite emotional.

“Let us pray that she will be okay.” Lucy closed her eyes for a second then opened them.

“Will I ever see her again?” Frank asked his eyes watering up.

“Frank,” Lucy said as she stood up and sat beside him. She wrapped her arm around Frank and hugged him close. “I don't know, I hope to god you do.” Lucy said as she calmly rocked Frank back and forth.

The train journey lasted for about 2 hours. Lucy tried to explain thinks to Frank as best as she could, trying to not make him upset or worried. Of course, that was near impossible; he was just a little boy who needed his mum. There is nothing wrong with that.

“What's happening?” Frank asked as the train slowed to a near stop.

“This is where we get off, come on. Take my hand; you will be fine I promise.” Lucy smiled as Frank wrapped his hand around Lucy's.

They got off the train and stood there until the train started to move. About 8 other children were standing with them; they looked between the ages of 6-16. Then by one of the guards, they were ordered to walk inside the building that stood near by. All the children obediently did as they were asked and once they were inside formed a line against the wall. Most of the kids had no idea what was going on.

“Stand there tall, you can now choose.” The guard said. Frank looked in front of him and saw loads of adults at the other end of the room. Some looked filthy rich, other looked not so rich.

“An adult is going to chose you to live with them; this is probably where we will part. I'll hopefully see you soon Frank, take care of yourself.” Lucy whispered as she kept hold of Frank's hand.

“Thank you for everything, I will find out where you went and I'll come see you again.” Frank smiled as did Lucy.

The richest adults chose first, they chose the wealthy looking kids. Frank was in the middle with money, middle class. Half the children were gone, including Lucy and that's when Frank was chosen.

“I'll take this one,” a gentle looking woman said as she approached Frank and inspected his identity card. “Frank, eh? You're coming with me.” The lady smiled as she took hold of Frank's hand, Frank lifted his bag and followed to woman outside.

To his new home.

To his new life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Keep or not?
Comments would be lovely.
Hope you enjoyed it.

Zoe xx