Keep the Secret

6.

“Why don't I introduce you to some boys I'm sure you'll like,” Gerard offered.

“Sure,” Frank smiled as he followed Gerard and Mikey down a little lane. “Ray lives here, he is my age, then Bob lives just opposite him, he is Mikey's age.”

“You'll like them, Frank.” Mikey said as they chapped one of the doors.

“Ray, are you coming out?” Gerard said as Frank examined the boy standing there. Slick back combed hair, quite big lips but looked like a gentle guy.

“Okay, who is that?” Ray asked as he pointed right in Frank's face.

“That's Frank; he is living with us for now.” Gerard said as they all faced Frank for a few seconds.

“Nice to meet you Frank, I'm Ray.” The boys shook hands before Ray grabbed a coat and walked out doors. “So how old are you, Frank?” Ray asked as they walked across the road to get to Bob’s house.

“I'm 10, 11 in October.” Frank responded with a nervous smile on his face.

“So you’re in the middle of the Way brothers.” Ray stated as Mikey chapped a door.

“Bob, are you coming out?” Mikey asked.

“Okay,” Bob smiled as he shouted through to his mum and walked out the house. Bob has blonde hair, average height with large blue eyes. “Hey I'm Bob, who are you?” Bob asked as he faced Frank.

“I'm Frank, nice to meet you.” The boys shook hands as they walked on.

“Frank there is a field not too far from here, it’s next to the beach and it’s great for playing football on.” Mikey explained.

“Where is the football?” Frank asked.

“We leave it on the beach so we don’t fight over who gets to keep it.” Gerard said as he ran in front and onto the field. “Okay, we have Frank with us today, so that makes 5 of us. Frank you’re with me and Mikey, Ray and Bob can be together so th-“

“That’s not fair!” Bob sighed.

“You didn’t let me finish, since we have an extra player you can start with on extra goal.” Gerard smiled as he placed the ball in the middle.

“Deal,” Ray smiled as they all ran towards the ball.
*

Frank fell to the ground in exhaustion; Mikey joined him, then the rest of them. Sweat was dripping off them; Mikey took his top of and wiped the sweat off his face. They were all smiling and agreeing it was a good game. Gerard’s team one by one goal but none of them fought over it for once.
“Well we better go in for dinner, otherwise mama will be mad.” Mikey said as he got to his feet and helped his two brothers up. “See you two at school!” Mikey smiled as they all walked away.

“When do you go to school?” Frank asked.

“Tomorrow, I don’t think you’re coming with us I think you start next week.” Gerard answered as he smiled at Frank.

“What’s it like, school. I’ve never been,” Frank said, he looked a little worried.

“You’ve never been to school? Well that’s why you can’t read or write.” Mikey chuckled.

“No, I mean. I have been but they couldn’t understand why I couldn’t read or write so they sent me home for good.” Frank shrugged.

“Mikey, don’t say stuff like that to Frank. School is okay, the teachers are mean but I'm sure you’ll be fine.” Gerard smiled as he opened the house door and mama was just laying out dinner.

“Just in time you three, eat up.” Donna smiled as she sat at the other end of the table.

Frank sat next to Gerard and looked down at the plate, carrots, potatoes and a slice of chicken. Next to the plate were a glass of water and a slice of buttered bread. Frank was very grateful for the food and ate every piece up, as did the rest of the family.

“Is your appetite coming back then?” Donna asked smiling.

“I think so,” Frank smiled as he drank the water and smiled.

“Good, so boys are you ready for school tomorrow? Done all your homework?” Donna asked.

“Yes mama,” they both answered simultaneously.

“Good boys, now get the dishes washed. I need to chickens fed,” Donna ordered as she stood up. “Frank, could you come with me?” She said as she walked up stairs

Frank handed his dish to Gerard before walking upstairs and found Donna in his room; he had no idea what she wanted though.

“Frank, you know Gerard and Mikey are returning to school tomorrow?” Frank nodded. “Well, I'm supposed to send you to school tomorrow as well. Though, I feel like, now don’t take this to offense. But I don’t think you’re ready, so what I'm going to do is I'm going to keep you off for a week and try to teach you as best as I can to read and write. Just so you can fit in better. Does that sound alright?” Donna explained.

“Yes ma’am,” Frank smiled at the thought that he might actually be like every other kid.

“Okay, why don’t you go into Gerard’s room and on his desk there is scrap paper and a pen. Bring it through and we can start,” Donna smiled as Frank did as he was told.

Frank came back through with a small notepad and a black inked pen. Donna and Frank sat by the chest in Frank’s room.

“Okay, I'm going to write out the alphabet and I want you to copy it underneath. Okay?” Donna said and Frank nodded his head. Donna did write out the alphabet as neatly as she could and Frank copied it out as best as he could. “Well done,” she smiled as she started to go through the alphabet with Frank.

About 2 hours later Frank like he could remember the alphabet off by heart now, if he kept saying it to himself then he should be fine. Donna made the boys some toast before sending them all to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've pretty much planned this whole story out now, so I know exactly what's going to happen!

Zoe xx