Keep the Secret

8.

The next morning was pretty much the same, early start, boys rushed off to school. Frank got ready after having a relaxing breakfast, this morning he even took a short bath. When he was out, dried and dressed he walked downstairs to find Donna with an envelope in her hand.

“Frank honey, it’s from your mama.” She smiled as she handed the envelope over to Frank. Frank held it with both hands and a big smile came across her face as he recognised her writing. He slowly turned it around and carefully opened it, he looked up a Donna and handed her the letter.

“Can you read it to me?” He asked.

“Of course,” she smiled as she took the letter, sat next to Frank so he could look at her writing and started to read to him;

Dear my darling Frank,

I miss you dearly; it has not been the same without you here. I do not have to clean up everything all the time! I hope where you are living is a lovely place and you are meeting new friends. I truly hope the family looking after you are taking good care of you. I wish I can see you now, maybe when I earn a little bit more money I can come over for the day. Your father is fine, I received a letter from him saying everything is fine and he is safe. He will be sending you a present in the next few days, so be on the look out! I got a job in a factory making bullets, its long hours but I shall be saving up to come to see you. I hope I will be round for your birthday, if that is alright with your guardian.”


“What’s a guardian?” Frank asked interrupting Donna.

“The people who are currently looking after you,” Frank made an ‘oh’ sound before Donna continued; “Where was I?

Frank, remember what I said to you before you got on the train? No matter what anyone says to you, you are special. Frank you are, you may not be able to read or write but you are still smart. Wait until they find out how good at mathematics you are. Things aren’t the same around here without you, I hope you are having a lovely time and do not go missing me too much. I love you so much, Frank.

Mama x”


Frank looked down at the ground; his eyes were watering up like crazy as they fell from his eyes. He doesn’t even know why he is crying, he just misses his old life. Not that this life isn’t good because it is, he just wants to see his mama.

“Would it be okay, if mama came up for my birthday? I’ll work extra hard!” Frank asked letting the tears fall from his eyes.

“Of course it is we’ll even help her out money wise. I would never come in between you and your mama, never.” Donna kissed the top of Frank’s head and pulled him into a hug. “Would you like me to help you write a reply?” Donna asked.

“Yeah, tonight before bed though. Is that okay?” Frank asked snuggling into her shoulder.

“Of course, now I’ll leave you to chill out for ten minutes. Come out when you’re ready,” Mrs. Way smiled at him before walking out into the garden.

Frank remained at the table for a while longer. He picked up the letter and he could smell his mama’s perfume, it smelt so lovely he always thought. She was an attractive woman so she was; all the men were all over her even though she was married. She was never these kinds of mothers who spent all their money on looking pretty; no she spent every penny on her only child. Frank knew mama loved him with all her heart, he never had a nanny growing up it was just her, and he is grateful for that. He isn’t even mad at her for sending him away because he understands that he wouldn’t do it unless she had to.

By this point more tears were falling down his cheek as he just looked at his mama’s handwriting, it was so fancy and flicky. Frank gently put the letter back in the envelope before running upstairs to put it on top of the chest to remind him to write back.

The day passed by pretty slowly for Frank, all he could think about was his mama, and how he wants to see her again. Donna went easy on him today, but tried to take his mind off her. Frank worked at the till again today, serving customers which brought a slight smile to his face as he got compliments at how quick he is.

The boys returned home from school, helped in the shop. Donna briefly explained that Frank was a little blue, so they were to take him out for a while and buy him a sweet or something.

“Come on Frank,” Mikey said as he grabbed Frank’s hand and pulled him off the stool and out the shop.

“I don’t want to go out,” Frank sighed as he fought against Mikey.

“Mama’s orders,” Gerard said as he grabbed Frank’s other hand and started to pull him. After that Frank gave up and went to where ever they were taking him. “Come, we’ll get a sweet to cheer you up then play a ball game.” Gerard suggested as they walked into a shop. “Pick one,” Gerard ordered.

“This one,” Frank picked up a small chocolate bar and handed it to Gerard who paid for it and handed it back to Frank. “Thank you,” Frank half smiled as they walked out the shop.

“I'm going to get the ball, you two stay here.” Gerard said as he ran off.

“So what’s made you so glum?” Mikey asked as they both sat on the curb.

“I got a letter from my mama today,” Frank explained. “I just miss her is all.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“I'm sorry, but hopefully you’ll see her soon?” Mikey smiled at Frank.

“She might be coming up for my birthday,” Frank smiled hopefully.

“There you go, hurry up Gerard!” Mikey shouted as he saw his brother run back with the ball.

“I'm coming as quickly as I can!” Gerard shouted back as he kicked the ball over to them

Mikey got hold of the ball and kicked it over to Frank, who passed it to Gerard. They played a short game of just passing the ball, then put Mikey in the middle while Frank and Gerard passed the ball without Mikey getting it, then swapped over who was in the middle. They were outside for 2 hours, and then they started to get tired so they went in for their dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like it!

Zoe xx