Sooner Than Later, I'll Need a Saviour

A Night Out.

As I headed back to my apartment thirty minutes - about eight thirty - I couldn’t stop thinking about Candy’s friend Alice. I mean, yes she was kind of a bitch, but I’ve met plenty of homeless and/or druggies that hated my guts. Those are the people I tend to visit less frequently. There was just something about her. I entered the elevator to my apartment building again and it seemed claustrophobic in the small area this time around.

I couldn’t have exited the elevator quick enough and a rush of relief spread through me. I slipped my key into the slot and turned it until I felt the lock flip over. I withdrew my key and entered. Instantly the smell of cigarette smoke slapped me in the face. I sighed and turned to see Brian lounging on the couch of my ‘living room’ with a cigarette between his lips.

“I distinctly remember telling you at least five times to not smoke in my apartment unless a window’s open,” I mused, placing my mostly empty duffle bag on the ground near my photography area.

“And I distinctly remember telling you that you are coming out with me and Jimmy tonight,” Brian shot back with a sly smile. It was always like this. He’ll be a bit of an ass on the phone, but then he’s already gotten over it in less than hour.

“Where is Jimmy?” I asked, looking around my one room apartment as I noticed the lack of the abnormally tall man. Of course a few seconds later he popped out of the door that led to my bathroom with the sound of a toilet flushing behind him.

“Sorry, had to take a leak. Sup bro?” Jimmy greeted, grinning widely. I rolled my eyes before heading over to my kitchen area. I looked in the fridge and came out with a water bottle.

“I’m really not in the mood to go out tonight guys,” I sighed.

“That’s what you said on the weekend, and the weekend before that, and the weekend before that!” Brian scowled.

“You’d think after a little you’d see the pattern,” I chuckled, taking a long sip from my bottle.

“Well there’s no excuses today. It’s a Monday, the shittest day of the week, and you’re going to come out with us and having a good time!” Brian announced, putting out his cigarette in the ashtray on my coffee table.

“I actually tend to like Mondays,” I argued childishly. Brian groaned, throwing his hands in the air dramatically.

“No person in their right mind should be able to say that. I get it, you’re doing the world a public duty. You’re making the streets a better place. Blah, blah, blah. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a social life! You’re twenty-one for Christ’s sake! Stop acting like a forty year old, old fart,” Brian spat. Jimmy and I both stayed silent, studying our friend.

I sighed in defeat. “Fine, I’ll go with.”

“Really?” Brian’s face lit up like a kid on Christmas. Apparently he didn’t believe his long speech would actually work. I probably would have just shrugged it off, like he expected, but in a way he’s right. I hadn’t spent time with anyone besides aspiring models and the street guys lately. I guess I owed them this.

“Yeah.” I headed over to my ‘bedroom’ and walked into my closet. I reemerged in a sleeveless Jack Daniels shirt, some black jeans, and a pair of black Converse. I grabbed my phone and wallet, shoving both in their respected pockets. Soon all three of us left the apartment, myself locking the door once we left. As we climbed onto the elevator Brian talked about the night ahead of us.

- - - -


I regret coming here, I truly do. The second we got here everyone dispersed to leave me on my own. Clubs haven’t been and never will be my thing. I felt awkward being in a room full of sweaty, drunk people. Worse is when there are drugs involved, some of which I could smell right now.

I leaned forward on the bar I sat at, resting my cheek in my hand. In my other hand was a shot of Jack I still haven’t taken. When I said I liked Mondays I meant I liked being home and not having to do anything on Mondays. I finally just took my shot before turning around on my stool to look around the club. I could barely make out Johnny and Jimmy on the dance floor and Matt flirting with some girl by the booths the place had. I couldn’t find Brian so I could only assume he was with some girl in the back.

I sighed and turned back around. I waved my hand towards the bartender to motion him to get me another shot. He obliged, placing a new glass in front of me. I pulled out my pack and lit up one of the Marlboros. As I let out a sigh I heard someone sit next to me.

“Shot of tequila dude,” the girl called. I didn’t even bother to look over. If this was another girl that just wanted to chat with me to get lucky I was not going to deal with it. I was in a bad mood and a quick fuck didn’t sound like my type of fun. Don’t get me wrong, I find chicks hot and it turns me on as much as the next guy, but I’d much rather be at home playing Call Of Duty or some shit today.

“Zack, my man!” someone called. I turned my head to see none other than Johnny Seward stumbling up to me. Johnny, the one that’s a best friend who thinks I’m crazy, was a pretty big alcohol drinker. Even though he’s only twenty, he never gets carded. I guess his midget ‘charm’ gets all the ladies, and some guys, to let him pass along with drinks.

“Johnny, you’re drunk,” I sighed.

“And you’re sexy,” he shot back. Oh, so I forgot to mention that? Johnny swings both ways. And, from what his intoxicated self tells me, he’s had a crush on me since we met in high school. Poor kid. He’s pretty fucked up when he’s drunk. I shot back my drink, put down enough money to cover my two shots, and stood from my stool.

“Come on John. Let’s get you home.” He continued to babble on about ‘having just one night with me’ as I draped one of his arms around my shoulders. As I tired to help him walk forward his legs shut down, falling down and practically taking me with him. “Come on Johnny, I don’t have time for this shit.”

“Just leave me to die,” he wailed dramatically. I heard chuckling and looked up at the stool that had been to my right. Of course who else would be there, but the girl that had been plaguing my mind all night: Alice.

“Nice to know you bat for the other team. I had my suspicions but this is just perfect,” she laughed, downing her tequila shot.

“I don’t. He just goes for both and I have the displeasure to be his type,” I murmured. Johnny hiccupped and wrapped his arms around my neck.

“I love you man. You’re just like - like the greatest dude ever,” Johnny slurred. I rolled my eyes, trying to get the dead weight man to stand. I huffed as he refused to put his legs to use.

“Well I can tell you this, his ass isn’t going to go anywhere this drunk. Here, I’ll help you. Candy knows the guy that owns this place. We‘ll let him sleep some of it off,” she explained and hopped off her stool. She wrapped one of Johnny’s arms around her shoulders and helped me drag him towards a door that read ‘employees only’. Through it the music and buzz in the club was instantly muted. Together we dragged him over to a plush couch to lay on. He was out in moments.

“Thanks,” I huffed, sitting on one of the couches at a right angle from Johnny’s. “Does Candy just know everyone?”

“I’m starting to believe so,” Alice replied simply. She plopped down on the couch opposite of me and placed her ancient Vans on the small, low table between us. It fell quiet in room besides Johnny’s sleep murmuring. I believe I heard something about unicorns. “Look - ”

I looked up to see Alice examining the ceiling. She ran a hand through her hair, messing it up more than it already was. “I want to apologize about earlier. I’m not - ” She broke off with a nervous laugh. “I’m not very good with people unless I’m high. Besides, I was cold on the stuff for a few days when we met. Well, I had a few drinks and a joint so I’m pretty much back to chill. So, I’m sorry?”

I studied her for a few moments. She didn’t seem like the kind of girl to be on pot. Then again, what did I know? So many people act different. “It’s okay.”

“That’s good,” she sighed in relief. She suddenly blushed, playing with a strand of hair. “Sorry, I must seem weird. I just have too many enemies because of my mouth.”

“I don’t have enemies,” I replied with a slight shrug. Alice chuckled lightly.

“Oh Zacky,” Johnny murmured. I instantly scooted to the end of the couch furthest from Johnny. Alice couldn’t stop her laughter at Johnny’s obvious ‘mating calls’.

“Are you sure this isn’t a neutral thing?” She teased. I glared playfully at her.

“The kid is just a bit obsessive, okay?” She nodded.

“I believe you.” We shared a smile. Suddenly a door was heard opening somewhere and Alice’s name getting called.

Alice, Candy necesita ayuda!” Alice sighed at this and pushed herself off the couch she sat on.

“And that’s my call. It was nice to see you again. Hopefully next time we meet I’m still as nice,” she murmured.

“You speak Spanish?” I asked curiously. She smiled.

“I only learned what I need to know.” With that she left the room from a door on the opposite side of the room. I sighed and turned to look back at Johnny who was snoring with his mouth wide open. There was no way I’m going to sit here for another half an hour.

“C’mon Johnny! I am not staying here so you can sleep. I’m scared to know what you’re dreaming about anyway,” I muttered the last part as I shook the younger man. He whined something softly and turned so his face went into the back of the couch. I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “Come on.”

“I wanna sleep Zack,” Johnny whined, hugging himself.

“Well if we go take your truck back your house you can sleep in the truck and in your own bed,” I cooed like I was talking to a five year old. He groaned but struggled to sit up anyway. I wrapped one of his arms around my shoulders and grabbed his hand to keep it there. With my free arm I wrapped it around his waist before helping him to the door with a big, red ‘exit’ above it.

Soon I was placing the younger man in the passenger seat and climbing into the driver side. I placed his keys in the ignition and buckled my seatbelt. I was soon on my way to the familiar house. Ten minutes later I pulled into the driveway next to the old Mustang. I turned off the truck, pocketed the keys, and walked to the other side of the truck. I woke up the blonde haired man again and took the same position I did to bring him to the truck. I stopped at the front door and kicked it.

“Hey Zack,” the person who opened the door greeted.

“Come on Matt, I’m dying here,” I murmured as Johnny began to go back to sleep on me again. He took Johnny’s free arm and wrapped it around his own shoulders before helping me take Johnny to his room. Soon he was lying in his bed, snoring as always. We left the room and Matt walked me back to the front door.

“So how’s Mom and Dad?” I asked, placing Johnny’s keys on their respected hook. Matt examined the hardwood floor at our feet.

“They still won’t talk about you,” My brother admitted. I sighed and looked out towards the nighttime sky. I figured after three years I’d be used to my parents finding me as a disgrace, but I guess it still hurt. Instead of taking my inheritance from our pretty rich grandparents to go to college and make something of myself, I just helped ‘worthless street trash’. My parents never excepted it and resent talking to me. “I’m sorry Zack.”

“It’s not your fault. I’m just not enough for them,” I chuckled emptily. “How’s school going?”

“Mattieeeeee,” a voice whined. No doubt Johnny. Matt pinched the bridge of his nose. Matt was happily in a relationship with his girlfriend, but when Johnny was drunk Matt turned into his type of guy. It was only me that looked good whether he was drunk or not.

“Look, we’ll meet up sometime and catch up, alright?” He smiled weakly and nodded.

“I’d like that.” We gave each other a hug before Matt shut the door to go attend to his friend. I shoved my hands deep in my pocket before heading back to my lonely, empty apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
The cool kids: Zayren, Violent Ecstasy, angy_kaulitz, and Dezi Demize. Heehee, Johnny made even me laugh. I think I could actually picture him like that. Comments? :)