Is the 'I Love You' Worth It?

Giving Up The Rooms We Love

I wake up at six thirty to the sudden unbearable feeling that I've gotta throw up. I get out of bed and shakily zip to the bathroom. As I'm throwing up, all I can think about is how much I hate throwing up. Great. I'm going to have to go to work, sick and throwing up. As if I don't hate work enough. They freak out if you call in sick, even though I don't know why. It seems like they wouldn't want you there if you're sick. But they don't care. Luckily, I'm not sick very often. At all actually. I never get sick. I think the last time I was sick, save mere colds, was about four years ago. And I haven't been around anyone who's sick.
I sigh.
"Lisea?"
It's Tre.
"I'll be out in a minute," I say as I throw up more.
"Are you okay?" he says through the door.
Then it hits me.
I'm pregnant. I have to be. I never get sick. I just know. I don't know how I know, but I just do.
"Lisea, are you sick again?" he says. "Let me come in."
"No!" I shout. I hate when people see me get sick. He opens the door anyway and I flush the toilet as soon as possible. He looks at me with a mix of concern and sleepiness.
"I didn't mean to wake you up," I say, but he shakes his head.
"You didn't."
I sigh and lean on him. He hugs me and says,
"Let's go back to bed."
"Let me brush my teeth first," I say breaking out of his embrace.
"Okay," he nods and leaves me alone in the bathroom.
Shit. What am I going to do? He's gonna freak out when he finds out. What if I'm wrong. I don't even know for a fact. I haven't taken a test or anything. First I have to do that. I shouldn't jump to any conclusions. It's stupid to do that. Why can't I just be sick? I could have gotten it through someone at work, or through Tre. Frankly, I could have gotten it anywhere. Plus, I'm kind of achy. It's probably just the flu. It has to be that.
***

After work, I head to the drugstore to pick up a pregnancy test. I'm standing in that damn aisle for fifteen minutes, but I can't bring myself to buy one. What if I'm wrong? What if I'm just sick with the flu? Wouldn't it be a waste of money to buy this thing if it turns out negative? I decide it's not worth it. I feel stupid being in there for twenty minutes and not getting anything, so I buy a candy bar and head to Tre's.

"Yeah, so now there's gonna be a bunch of people living here," Tre says taking a drink of his beer. He's telling me about Billie Joe's girlfriend Adrienne moving in with them in a few weeks.
"So, are you and Billie going to trade? Are you taking the couch?" I ask, stirring my 7up. Luckily, I'm not that much of a drinker, so me not drinking won't raise any suspicions.
"No way!" he sc0ffs. "I am so not giving up my room for that damn couch."
"Well, where is Adrienne going to sleep?" I laugh.
"I don't know, on the couch I guess."
"Whose sleeping on the couch?" Billie Joe says coming through the door.
"You," Tre says.
"Uh, okay," Billie laughs nervously.
"I was saying that you and Tre should trade once your girlfriend moves in," I say scooting over so Billie can sit down.
"Oh yeah," he says. "I never thought of that. We should do that, Tre."
"No way."
"What?" Billie laughs again. "But there's only one of you! Both me and Adrienne can't fit on this couch. Hell, I barely fit on it."
Tre shakes his head. "If you don't fit, I won't. Plus, Lisea sleeps over all the time! You think that we'll both be able to fit?"
Billie Joe sighs. "Why are you being difficult?"
"I'm not. You're the one who has to have their girlfriend here," Tre says.
"Hello?" I say raising my hand. I feel like Billie needs some defending. "I stay here all the time! I don't see why this is such a big deal, Tre."
"Because!" he whines. "I don't want to give it up!"

When Mike gets home, it is finally decided that Tre will move to the couch.
"You guys suck, you know that?" he pouts and goes to his room while he still has one.