Is the 'I Love You' Worth It?

Bong Water

The day before Adrienne moves in, I stop by Tre's before work and after getting sick. Tre's on the couch, half hanging off. I sit on the floor next to his face.
"Tre," I say, rubbing his hair. He groans and swats at my hand. I try again.
"Tre."
"Fuck off," he mumbles and attempts to roll over, but loses his balance and slides off the couch onto the floor.

"Aw, poor baby," I coo.
He cracks his eyes open.
"Hey," he mumbles.
"So how's sleeping on the couch treating you?" I smile.
He just glares back.
"This is not going to work," he says, pulling himself back on the couch.
"Well," I say, "What do you want to do?"
"What can I do? I'm so jealous. I can't believe I'm jealous."
I bite my lip.
"Well, Jennifer's moving out soon," I begin. Do I really want to do this?
"Yeah?" he says, yawning.
"So, I guess when she's out, you can move in with me."
"Really?" he says, sounding hopeful.
I nod. He throws his arms around me, knocking me back on the couch.
"So, when can I move in?"
"Once Jennifer's gone," I say kissing him. He gives me a childish grin.

***

Two weeks later...
"Where do you want me to put this?" I call to Tre. We're moving his stuff in to my house. Now that I don't have a roommate, I won't call it an apartment. I guess Tre is kind of a roommate, but whatever.
"What is it?" he yells from an unidentifiable place.
"It looks like a bunch of your clothes!" I call. "Do you want me to just put them in my drawers?"
"Do you have room?" he says coming into my- our room. I nod.
"Yup. I'll just move stuff around."
"Okay," he grins and pounces on me.
"Hey, can you go get the mail for me?" I ask, kissing his forehead.
"Mm hmm," he says getting up from the bed. "Roomie."
I smile after him and proceed to change around my dresser drawers to fit his stuff in. Luckily, he doesn't have very many clothes.
"Hey!" he calls, slamming the door.
"Hey what?" I say, going into the kitchen.
"How come I didn't get anything?" he pouts.

"Because you moved in, like, an hour ago," I say going through the stack of mail. Junk, Safeway flier, credit card offer, shit like that. Then I freeze. It's a reminder of the gynecologist check up that's in a week. I had hoped to avoid this for as long as I could.

"Ooh what's that?" Tre says trying to look over my shoulder.
"Oh, nothing, just a doctor's appointment," I say, sighing.
"Gonna get prodded?" he says, giggling.
"Now, how do you know what goes on at a gynecologist appointment?" I tease him.
"For some reason, girls like to tell me things that I don't really want to know about. That's one of them."
"Come on," I say, pulling on his sleeve. "Help me put your stuff away."

***

I wake up at seven and begin my daily routine. I stumble into the bathroom, throw up and take a shower. I get out of the shower and go into my bedroom.

"Hey," Tre says, smiling sleepily at me.
"Hi," I say pulling on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.
"You work today?" He asks, yawning. I nod.
"Yeah, long day. Nine to five," I say. He reached over and pulls me down onto the bed with him.
"Time?" he asks, snuggling into me.
"Uh, eight," I say, playing with his hair. "What are you going to do today?"
He shrugs. "Something, I don't know."
"Getting used to the place?" I say.
"Yeah," he says stretching. "Think Paige'll be there?"
I chuckle.
"God I hope not."

***

"LISEA!"
Jesus Christ.
It's really busy today, I think because of the nice weather, and for some reason my morning sickness has extended itself. I think it's because of the sugary smell in the store. Even when I'm not feeling sick, it makes me want to throw up. It could be worse. I have a friend who works at the Hot Dog on a Stick next door and her car smells like corn dog batter. It's most unpleasant. Anyway, though it's busy, the day goes by pretty slowly. My lunch break is with Paige.

"HOW COME YOU'RE NOT EATING LUNCH?" she asks me, eating her sandwich.
"I'm just not very hungry," I say, propping my chin on my fist.
"ARE YOU OKAY?" she asks. I nod.
"My boyfriend moved in with me yesterday, so I'm kind of tired from the move."
"AWESOME!" she grins.

When I leave work, my back is killing me from being hunched over the counters and I have a little bit of a stomach ache, I'm guessing from that little thing I've been avoiding. As I drive home, I can't but help worry about going to the doctor. I guess I won't have to buy a pregnancy test. Plus, if the doctor does it, it can't have the chance of being wrong. I'm so worried. I mean, I know deep down that I am pregnant. I just know. But, having a doctor tell me I am or am not will solidify it. And how am I supposed to tell Tre? He's going to freak out so much. He can't have a kid to tie him down right now. His band is just getting some recognition and they're going on tour in July backing Dookie. He can't have a family. The band needs to come first right now. They are getting the chance of a lifetime and a kid would ruin that for them. I wouldn't expect him to give that up for me and a baby. I just wouldn't. He has too much to lose.

After this conversation with myself, I'm thoroughly depressed by the time I get home. I'm excited to be able to go home to a quiet evening with Tre. I think I'll like being able to just relax with him. After that conversation we had when I was first sick, I look forward to time alone with him. I pull into the drive way and head up the stairs. When I go to open the door, it won't open. I figure Tre must have left something he was moving in there, so I try and push it open. It will only go about a foot and I see that it's my couch. What the hell? I squeeze through and climb over the couch and almost fall straight on my ass. Why is my couch over here. Now I'm very confused.

"Tre?" I call. There's no answer. I head into the hall leading to the front room and I hear a strange noise. Maybe he has the TV on. I get to the front room to find Tre, Billie Joe and Mike on THEIR couch where my couch used to be with their shit all over the place, playing video games. My normal reaction would be to freak out at them, but for some reason, I guess because I feel so shitty, I just burst into tears. Tre's head swings around at the sound.

"Lisea?" he asks, but I break into a run to my room.
"What the fuck was that?" Mike says, momentarily taking his eyes off the video game. Tre shakes his head in confusion as he gets up to go see what's wrong with me.

"What, she just freaks out over nothing?" Mike calls, giggling. "Hey, maybe she's pregnant."
"Yeah," Billie Joe calls, cackling. "Maybe she's pregnant!"