Is the 'I Love You' Worth It?

News

"You're wearing that?" I ask Tre as he pulls on a pair of green plaid pants.
"What's wrong with it?" Tre says, spinning.
"They're green plaid pants. Not typical wedding wear."
"Well, when am I ever typical?"
I shrug. We have to be at Billie Joe and Adrienne's wedding in a half hour.
I pull out the dress I'm going to wear from the closet.
"You're wearing that?" Tre mimics my voice.
"Shut up, bitch." I laugh. He sticks his tongue out at me.
"I've never been to a wedding," he says, plopping down on the bed.
"It's not that interesting," I say turning and backing up to him. "Zip?"
He does the zipper on my dress and pulls me down next to him.
"I'm freaked out." He lays his head down on my shoulder.
"Eh, it's not bad. You don't have to do anything but sit there," I ruffle his hair.
"No," he shakes his head. "Not about the wedding. Well, kinda."
"Hmm?" I ask, looking at him sideways.
"Everything's changing. Billie's getting married. Mike's moved in with Anastasia. We're having a baby. It's all changing. I'm afraid it's not going to be the same. I don't want things to change."
"Well," I hug him. "Yeah. Things are going to change. That's just how it goes. But I don't think it'll be bad, you know."
"I don't like it."
"I know," I laugh.

We get to the Billie's house and go into the backyard where the wedding's being held. There are some chairs set up, so we sit down.
"I hope this doesn't take long," Tre whines.
"Be nice," I kiss his nose.
I see Mike and Anastasia coming in the backyard and I wave to them.
"Hey," Mike says sitting down next to Tre. Anastasia gives me a quick wave and sits down next to Mike. "So how long do you think this shit is going to take?"
Tre laughs. "I so just asked that."
"Knowing Billie, not long, I hope," Mike sighs.
"Aw, weddings are nice," Anastasia says. "It won't be that bad."
"Hey assholes," Billie says scampering up to us.
"You look nice," I say. He blushes.
"Thanks," he says.
"So," Mike says. "How long is this going to take?"
"Not long. At all. Both me and Adie are kind of freaking out. Like, we're really nervous. My mom is making such a huge deal out of everything. She's blowing it way out of the water."
"Moms always do that shit," Mike laughs. One of Billie's brothers comes over and taps him on the shoulder.
"We're ready to start if you are."
Billie nods.
"See ya," he says jogging over to the altar.

Five minutes later, they're married and off to the hotel up the street for their honey moon.
"Can we go now?" Tre says pulling on my arm as I'm talking to Anastasia.
"Yes," I sigh. "We can go now. Just give me a minute."
He mumbles something about how stupid girls are and wanders away. Anastasia chuckles.
"Yeah, I know," I roll my eyes and go to find Tre.

***

Two days before the tour...

I have to work and Tre and the boys are getting together for a final rehearsal and to work out any kinks.

When I come home from work, there are two messages on my answering machine.

LISEA! IT'S PAIGE FROM WORK. I CAN TAKE YOUR SHIFT ON SATURDAY. IT'S NO PROBLEM. SEE YOU AT WORK!
and
Lisea, it's Antonia.

Great. My sister.

You never call us anymore. And by us I mean your family. It's like you think you're better than us now. I called mom, so you might be hearing from her, regarding your living situation...
Call me.


My sister and I have never gotten along, nor have my mother and I. I haven't told my sister about the baby, but she does know I'm living with Tre and apparently she plans to use that as blackmail. My mother wholeheartedly disapproves of musicians and people living together if they're not married. Unfortunately, my sister sucks up to her at every given chance. My mother is not afraid to tell you when she disapproves and I know she will come unglued when she finds out about me just living with Tre, let alone that I'm carrying his child -gasp- out of wedlock.

Sighing, I pick up the phone and dial my mom's number.

"Hello?"
"Hi, it's Lisea."
"Oh, hello."
"Antonia called. She said you might be calling me, so I decided to call you first."
"Well yes, I was going to call you. Your sister has told me some disturbing news," she says.
"Yeah, that's what she said in the message," I sigh.
"She told me that you are living with a boy. Is this right?"
"Yes, but he's not a boy. He's twenty-one." Okay, maturity-wise, he's fifteen, but she doesn't need to know that.
"Still. You know how I feel about this. I don't approve of you living with a man and not being married."
"Mom," I say. "This isn't the fifties anymore. We don't have to be married to live together."
"Well, I don't want my daughter shacking up with some guy. What does he do for a living? Is he taking care of you?"
"He's a drummer."
"What?!" she practically screams.
"He's a drummer, mom. You knew that. Antonia knew that."
"Your sister didn't tell me he was a... drummer." I can hear the disgust in her voice.
"Look. I don't care if you approve of him, or me or anything that I do. I don't care about anything you disapprove of. We love each other very much and- and," I'm so furious with her butting into my life that the secret Tre and I have been keeping just comes spilling out. "And we're going to have a baby and there's nothing you can do about it!"
Silence.
"What?" she says.
"You heard me. I'm pregnant. And I don't care what you think." I say before slamming the phone down.
"What was that?" Tre asks coming in the front door, twirling one of his sticks.
"My mother," I sigh.
"You look like you're going to cry," he says hugging me.
"I just hate dealing with her," I sniff. He nods. "I told her. About the baby."
He mouths the word 'Oh' and raises his eyebrows.
I shrug. "I didn't mean to, I was just so mad it came out."
"What did she say?" he says, pulling me down onto the couch.
"I don't know. I hung up on her."
"Nice," he laughs.
"It's not funny," I say burying my head into his chest.
"Sorry."
"Well, I guess our secret is officially out," I say. "Both our parents know."
"You can't keep it a secret forever," he kisses the top of my head. "I mean once he's born we can't be like' What kid?'." He giggles.
"Yeah," I laugh. He's right. "So, everything worked out for the tour?"
"Oh, yeah," he says hopping up on the kitchen counter. "I'm so fuckin' excited."
"Good," I say.