Prisoner of War

New Moon

The night was cold and the air crisp with tension. The girl sat there crying in a corner of the metal cage clinging onto a ripped piece of cloth. Her head was bowed in shame and her hands scarred and marred with wounds and welts. She cringed as the wind passed by her lithe frame and chilled her to the bone.

She looked up at the sky where her opal eyes searched for a moon. Her eyes were puffy and red sore maybe from the tears that she had spent. A man sat across her looking at her in interest. "Do you know what killed her child?" The man taunted as the girl began to sob. "You killed her you mangy mutt! You are the reason I can no longer feel her!"

The man rose and walked towards her in a wobbly gait. His movements drunk and heavy as his fist met her head. She flinched as the blood below the skin began to form a bruise. "I didn't kill her," whispered in agony the child who held herself in pain. "You killed her." Her voice was small, feeble and cracked as if she was older than she seemed.

Her opal eyes looked up at the man and there dread and death lied like endless pools of oblivion. The man grunted and stormed out of the cage. But before he left he threw a candle into the cage. The candle burned with a black flame and it danced forming a snake. Slowly the snake slithered to the girl.

Her eyes widened in fear and she began to move away from the flamed snake. "Please d-don't h-h-hurt me!" Pleaded the girl. "I-I-I didn't kill her! I didn't kill my mother!" She finally stopped moving as she was cornered by the metal bars behind her.

The snake hissed at her and suddenly wrapped it self around her. It's black flames licked at her sin burning her with intense heat and malice. Her body could not take the pain no longer as she screamed into the moonless night.

Feathers suddenly appeared around her. They were rotted and black, soiled and charred to the bone. The snake disappeared and she wept for the death of the only one who had protected her from the man she was forced call her father.

"Mother, how could you leave me?"

In a silent glace a woman who stood above the ridges of the mountain range listened to the child's whisper and sighed a heavy sigh. "Looks like another one has been lost to the new moon."

"At least it was not the Purger," crooned an owl who perched on her shoulder. "For if it was what would we be but stains on the grand hall of Heaven?"

"I know," replied the woman with a heavy heart. "I know."