‹ Prequel: You're my Treasure
Status: New sequal!

Life After Treasure

018

It has been a week since Riley and I have moved into our new place. Rambo seems to enjoy it well; he should considering he has a dog bed in the living room and a plethora of new toys. Riley on the other hand, has been so focused on his book that he has been ignoring not only me, but everybody. I’ve tried to talk to him numerous times, but nothing, he just grunts in response. Even Ben has tried to call him, Riley just ignores the calls or quickly picks up and then ends the call.

The clock above the fireplace reads 12:39. Yawning, I shut off the television and head towards the study. I lean against the door frame and watch Riley. He has his back turned towards me and is typing away on his laptop.

“Riley; why don’t you come to bed? It’s already midnight, you’ve been in here all day.” I say rubbing my eyes.

He doesn’t reply.

“Hello? Riley? I’m talking to you! You’ve been in here all day. You’ve only come out to eat and use the bathroom.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he says brushing me off.

“Seriously Riley.”

He raises his voice, “This is why we got a bigger place, so I could work.”

“I didn’t think you’d be working for almost ten hours a day.” I say honestly.

“Well, shit happens, get over it.”

My eyes get wide and I’m completely shocked. “When you’re done acting like an asshole then we can talk, until then, leave me alone.”

I leave the room while letting out a disappointed sigh. I walk over to Rambo and pick him up.

“Come on, you can sleep with me tonight.” I say petting his head.

I go into the bedroom, shutting and locking the door behind me. I place Rambo on the foot of the bed and he instantly curls up, going back to sleep. Going into the bathroom, I get changed into a t-shirt and pajama shorts, and then brush my teeth. Walking back into the bedroom I pull back the covers and get into bed, falling asleep shortly.

I feel myself being shaken, but I groan and bury my head into the pillow, not wanting to wake up.

“Maddie,” I hear Riley as he touches my shoulder.

I pick my head up out of the pillow and see that he is lying next to me.

“Riley? How did you get in here? I locked the door.” I say not fully awake.

“I can break into government security systems; do you seriously think that I can’t break into a simple lock?” He says with a chuckle.

“Whatever, I’m still mad at you.”

“Look, I'm sorry. I'm just really tired from writing all day, and I'm just trying to get my book done. I have all these great topics to write about that my mind just gets carried away and I keep typing and typing. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that.” He says brushing a piece of hair from my face.

“Will you promise me that you’ll limit yourself to maybe, just five hours a day at the most in there?” I ask looking up at him.

“I promise. Do you still love me?” He asks while lifting one corner of his mouth into a smile.

“Of course I do. I love you, even though you irritate me sometimes.”

“Good, because I still love you too.” H says kissing my forehead.

“Can we go to sleep now?” I ask while burying my face into the crook of his neck.

“I suppose so.” He laughs and pulls me closer to him.