The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 10

"We'll just wait for the rest of the pack, then." Sam stated with a stern voice.

I nodded, "So how many is the rest of the pack?"

Sam looked back at me, "You'll see when they get here."

I pouted in response, and stepped away from Billy's door to lean on my car.

"That thing's yours?" Quil inquired curiously.

I smiled proudly, "Yep. She's a 599 GTB Ferrari. Customized her myself."

Seth laughed a bit, "Man, Jake's gonna just love you."

I turned to Bella, "Is he into cars?"

Bella nodded, rolling her eyes, "You wouldn't believe it. He actually just finished building a VW Rabbit."

"You can't miss when it comes to German engineering."

Just then, a group of people came bounding up the same path Seth, Sam, and Quil had just come from.

"Jeeze, are they all wolves?" I asked Sam.

Now it was his turn to smile proudly. "They are."

I let out a low whistle and started counting everyone in my head.

"Eight, nine...ten." I finished as they all came to a stop in front of me. "I've never seen a pack this big before." The last part was muttered to myself, but I didn't doubt that they heard it.

"Emma-Kate," Sam addressed me, standing in front of the group, "I would like to introduce you to everyone." He paused to take a breath, "This is Brady and Collin," Sam gestured to the two boys on the far left, and began making his way over, in order, "Next is Leah, Embry, Paul, Jared, and finally, Jacob."

I made a point to look into each of their dark eyes when their names were called. But nothing could prepare me for what happened when I met the last set of eyes.

At that very moment, it felt as if my entire world just collapsed around me, as if he was the only ground I had left to stand on. Without him, I would be completely and utterly lost.

And that feeling scared me. A lot.

Over the years I've trained myself to hide emotions from my face. Fortunately enough, I was able to cover up this earth-shattering shock, enough so, that no body could really tell it was there.

Jacob, on the other hand, was having a much harder time. It seemed he felt the same derailing feeling I had, the shock and fear was obvious on his features.

I did my best to avoid looking at him, in case the feeling would return. If it did, I would have to do my best to ignore the boy.

"W-well, there is an awful lot of you," I forced myself to look back at the group. "Most packs I've run into only have about three or four wolves."

"Excuse me," The only girl werewolf, Leah, butted in, "But who are you and how do you know what we are?"

"Nobody told you guys?"

"All we were told, was that there's someone important we had to meet." Another wolf, Embry, I think, called out.

"Bella, didn't you clarify when you called?" I asked.

She shook her head, "Your job is really hard to explain. So I just said you would explain everything when we got here."

"Oh."

"Well," Leah interrupted again. "Are you going to explain?"

"Yeah, sure." I adjusted my position against my car, getting a bit more comfortable. "When it was discovered a large group of werewolves were living next door to a large group of vampires, it was pretty obvious that concern should be shown. So I came down here, simply to investigate what's going on, and if there is any potential harm towards humans."

"That still doesn't explain what you are." Sam stated.

"Oh, well, I'm a Peacekeeper."

"What's a Peacekeeper?" Seth asked. He didn't fall into line like the rest of the wolves did, instead he stayed with the original grouping by Quil and Sam, standing near Bella.

"The name's pretty self-explanatory." I answered, "We 'keep the peace' between species such as yourselves, and try to keep up the unwritten law that no humans must know of your existence." I paused to look pointedly at Bella, "Obviously, we're not doing the greatest of jobs."
♠ ♠ ♠
Now, my dear readers, don't you just love me right now?

Seriously. Don't ya just wanna give me a big 'ol hug??

XXX,
Ruby