The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 13

It was a stormy Sunday afternoon in Forks, Washington. Victor Dawson sat in a hospital waiting room, surrounded by empty chairs. He didn't really expect anything more from this small town.

Victor sighed, running a hand down his face in aggravation and exhasperation. He recalled the past Friday.

Emma had only been gone from home for three days. She hadn't called yet, which didn't surprise Victor, as he was well aware that his twin could be forgetful when preoccupied. He himself had been sitting at home, resting on the couch after a day of Peacekeeping work.

The comforting silence throughout the apartment was broken with the sound of a telephone ringing. Victor's thoughts immediately jumped to Emma-Kate, thinking she had finally remembered her promise to call.

But, when he picked up the phone, a terror spoke on the other line.

As soon as the news of Emma's accident was comprehended, Victor bought himself a seat on the first plane to Washington. It had taken him a full day to get there. Four hours to rent a car and actually get to Forks. Another two hours to reserve a hotel room and make it to the hospital. Once at the hospital, he was given a pending time to recive current news of his sister.

And thus, here he was. A few people had come and left the hospital, mostly visitors or appointment patients. They never stayed long.

"Victor?" A smooth and quiet voice called from a doorway nearby.

Victor raised his head from where it had been hidden in his hands. His honey colored eyes analyzed the caller. Clearly vampire, blond, tall, odd golden irises. The vampire was dressed in a nice shirt and slacks, accompanied by a long white coat and stethoscope.

In response, Victor rose, and met with the vampire doctor. His stance and gazed was cold and un-trusting.

Regardless, the vampire smiled kindly, "My name is Carlisle Cullen. I'm currently taking care of your sister."

Victor nodded, "I have a few questions for you." A quick glance around at the nurses and doctors bustling around. "Perhaps we could talk in private?"

"Of course," Carlisle replied, "My office is just this way."

The pair walked down a corridor of doorways and gaudy paintings. Towards the end, Carlisle stopped in front of a door. Only a small engraved plate donned the face of it, reading "Dr. Carlisle Cullen."

Inside, Carlisle took a graceful seat behind his desk, while Victor decided to reside in one of the plush leather chairs parallel to the desk.

"I'm sure you want to know what happened..." Carlisle began.

"You're damn strait I do." Victor retorted as calmly as he could. "If you or your family is responsible, vampire--"

Carlisle interjected, "I assure you, Victor, my family was not involved. This entire situation was completely and accident."

Victor gave Carlisle a long hard look. "My sister fell off a cliff." He shook his head in disbelief, "I know she may not look too graceful, but she knows how to keep her balance. Emma could walk across a sheet of ice in her socks and not even slip." His eyes returned to the golden ones of the vampire, "She did not fall."

Carlisle sighed, suddenly looking a bit more human than before. "I'll tell you what happened," He spoke softly, "But you must control yourself. There is no one to blame here."

Victor's mouth pressed into a tight line, but he nodded nonetheless.

"She was with the werewolves when she fell. During her time there, a rough vampire crossed into their territory. Obviously a chase pursued." Carlisle paused, carefully inspecting Victor's reaction. Alas, he remained stony as ever. "The vampire escaped into the water, off of one of the cliff sides. Emma had been standing a few feet from the edge that the rough jumped from."

"So this vampire pushed her off?" Victor asked.

Carlisle shook his head, "I'm afraid not. You see, a werewolf pursuing the rough followed it to the edge... The werewolf passed too close to your sister, and she was knocked off."

A disturbing silence filled the small office. Even the sound of rain pelting the window seemed to be muted.

"So this werewolf," Victor spoke after a few moments, "His carelessness is to blame? A stupid mistake almost killed Emma?"

"I told you before," Carlisle consoled, "There is no one to blame, it was all an accident."

"Where is she?" Victor asked suddenly.

"Your sister is currently in out Intensive Care Unit. I'm afraid not visitors are allowed."

"Intensive Care?" His eyes widened in worry, "Exactly how bad is she?"

Carlisle paused before answering, "There were a few rocks, at the bottom. Emma had hit her head, pretty hard...The ocean was cold, so by the time she was pulled out, she contracted hypothermia." Another pause, to let the news sink in. "Right now, she's in a vegetative state. When the sedation wore off, we noticed she had brain activity, because of that, we're afraid to take her off her morphine drip. We'll need to keep her sedated just a bit longer to allow her to heal."

"What does she need to heal from? Just a concussion, right?"

"Unfortunately, not." Carlisle adjusted his position slightly, more business like. "Emma-Kate's left leg was almost completely shattered, we had to surgically insert a steel rod to act as the bone for a while. That will take a few months to heal at least. Also, she has a fraction in her right ankle and right radius bone. Among that, she has some pretty bad scratches that we need to watch carefully. They might have gotten infected in the water."

Victor sighed, running his hands along the length of his face for the up-teeth time. "Dear God..." He whispered.

~~~

Outside that very hospital, sat a self brooding boy. His large form was seated on the steps of a fire exit on the side of the building. The boy couldn't bring himself to go inside, or leave. He had been seated in that spot for nearly a day now, in the pouring rain.

Another large from walked up to him through the rain. The boy already knew who it was.

"Jake," The figure addressed the boy, "Go home. She won't get better any faster whether you're here or not."

"I can't leave her alone," Jacob argued meekly. "It's my fault she's here in the first place, Sam."

Sam sighed, taking a seat on the soaked concrete next to Jacob. "Tell me what happened. Exactly what happened."

"I planned it perfectly," Jake began, his voice a whisper. "We met up around one...And just walked around and hung out. I didn't even realized time was passing when I was with her. It didn't even rain." His eyes were far off, as was his voice. Sam leaned a bit closer to hear. "When we reached the cliff top, I told her."

"About you imprinting." Sam nodded. After Emma-Kate had left the first day, Jacob had immediately confided in Sam about the sensation he got upon seeing her.

Jacob nodded, "She said she couldn't. She couldn't return my feelings...Because she's a peacekeeper, and needs to remain neutral." Jake's hands folded themselves in front of him. "I wasn't mad, like I thought I would be. It was devastating to be put in that position, but I wasn't mad...I don't think I'm even capable of being angry with her."

Jake paused, so Sam urged him on.

"Then Quil came, so I assumed something was wrong...but I didn't think it was anything too serious. Before I transformed, I told her to stay where she was. She doesn't know the way back, and I had thought it would only take a few minutes..."

"But then you saw the leech," Sam filled in.

Jacob nodded. "You know what it's like. The thrill of the chase. You loose yourself in it," Sam made a small noise in agreement. "I couldn't even tell the leech was heading in her direction... I was the fastest, but I should've let it go. I didn't see her! All I saw was the leech diving off the cliff..."

Sam put a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder, "It's not your fault." He repeated.

"I pushed her off a cliff, Sam... I could've killed her."

"I know how you must feel--"

"You and Emily are fine now, though." Jake interrupted. "She survived, and you're both happy now, together." He stressed the last word. "Emma might die, Sam. I've known her for two days, and I might've killed her."

"She's strong, Jake." Sam stated.

Jake buried his head in his hands, grabbing a few chunks of his shaggy hair while doing so. "You saw her when we pulled her out of the water. There was so much blood...and all the bruises...She barely looked human."
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW! That was depressing as hell...

I got a bunch of questions after chapter 12. I wasn't planning on updating this soon, but I felt generous ^.^

Hope you liked it!

XXX
Ruby

P.S. Victor's not usually this much of a hardass. He's actually very nice! He's just worried about his sister...