The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 18

It was at that time, Alice and Bella emerged from the waiting room, appearing before the group in a curious fashion.

"What's up, guys?" Alice asked in her chiming voice, pulling Bella by the hand behind her. "Is everything alright now?"

Bella left to stand beside Edward, who said, "Yeah, it's all settled out for now."

"That's good," Bella murmured.

Victor analyzed the two newcomers. He'd seen them before too. They came with Edward, and the short girl was a vampire, but the brown-haired one was not.

"How's Emma-Kate, then?" Alice asked the other vampire. Bella also looked to Edward in anticipation.

Edward smiled at the two and said, "She woke up for a bit, then fell asleep... Just now, she woke up again, but had a few complications..." Bella gasped. "But she's fine now, so don't worry!"

Both of the girls sighed in relief.

"That's great. She's been asleep for so long though..."

The rest of the group nodded in agreement.

Just then, Carlisle poked his head out the door, "Victor, may I speak with you a moment?"

"That doesn't sound good," Embry muttered to himself, Jacob elbowed him in the ribs. "Hey! I'm just saying..."

"Shut up," The other boy hissed, watching Carlisle's and Victor's faces.

Victor followed Carlisle back into Emma's room without a word.

Carlisle, who had been holding one of Emma's charts, hung it back on the end of her bed.

"Well, Dr. Cullen?" Carlisle noted that was the first time Victor actually called him by his title. "What do you need?"

Carlisle looked up to Victor, "I'm sorry if I seem out of line, but... Emma's medical history isn't quite as clear as it should be. I realize your lifestyle puts you in a very secretive position...But..." He trailed off, "I wanted to ask you about a particular scar on Emma-Kate."

Looking down at Emma, Victor noticed she was wearing a hospital gown and pants. The gown had been pulled to the bottom of her rib cage, revealing her concave stomach. It was then he noticed what Carlisle was talking about. A large, but thin scar had been made along the curve of the bottom of Emma's stomach, a few inches below her naval.

"This is a C-Section scar..." Carlisle pointed out the obvious. "It seems recent."

Victor nodded, knowing full well it was there.

"Would you mind sharing, Victor?" Carlisle prodded.

Victor nodded, knowing Emma wouldn't mind. She didn't try to hide her past, but she never flaunted it either. If somebody asked, she usually told. Victor did the same.

"Emma got pregnant when she was sixteen. The baby..." Victor looked up at the doctor, "Let's just say it wasn't quite human. We didn't want any medical documentation, for obvious reasons. There were birth complications, and we had a friend of ours, another doctor, do the Cesarean. The father, who was more than willing to help Emma with the baby, passed away during her first trimester... And Emma didn't want to expose it to the peacekeepers life, just yet. So she gave the baby to some friend of ours, who are like us."

"I see..." Carlisle nodded, surprised to get this much information out of Victor. "Does she see the child often?"

"The foster parents live in California," Victor shrugged, "And it's still a baby, so it can't exactly talk over the phone or anything. We do get occasional calls but..." A faraway look came over the boy's face. "Emma doesn't concern herself too much. She pays the couple compensation money they don't need, but that's about it... It hurts her, you know. To not be with the baby."

Carlisle nodded, he knew all too well. "Well, on a different topic... You and Jacob don't seem to get along very well."

Victor scoffed. "You think?"

Carlisle smiled at the juvenile response. It reminded him Victor was a child still. "I think you should get to know him a bit better."

Victor gave the vampire doctor an incredulous look.

"Hear me out," Carlisle continued. "Jacob cares a great deal for your sister... And he'll be there, whether you like it or not."

Victor nodded, "I guess so..."

"Just think about it."

A knock came from the door. "Come in," Carlisle called back in his soft and smooth voice.

Alice poked her head around. "Can Bella and I come in? We haven't seen her yet...And another visitor just arrived..."

"Who?" Victor questioned the girl.

"He said his name's Benjamin..."

The boy's eyes shot up, "Oh... Let him in then."

Alice stepped in, followed by Bella, then someone who could rival the devil himself... Benjamin.

The last time Victor had seen Benjamin is when he called the boy up to drive Emma's Ferrari to her. Obviously, he hadn't changed at all. Same neatly kept brown hair, fiery red eyes, and that evil little smile.

"Victor," The younger boy greeted the older one.

"Benjamin," Victor nodded back.

"Glad to see you're in good health," Benjamin smirked. "Wish I could say the same for her."

Victor's eyes narrowed ever so much. Alas, he was use to Benjamin's snark, bitter, and childish behavior. "I'd rather you hold your tongue, Ben. This isn't the most appropriate time for your remarks."

"I deeply appologise." Benjamin said insincerely, taking a seat beside Victor.

The other three had been watching the spat quietly.

"So how do you two know eachother?" Bella dared to ask.

"Friend of the family," They replied simultaneously.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, this one's full of twists!
Blah... I didn't update at all Saturday, and it's put me waaaaaaaaay behind schedule... SO! The deadline's changed... Instead of "by monday" I'm gonna say "by then END of Monday" ^.^ haha, so by 11:59 Monday, we'll be at chapter 24! I swear it >:3

XXX
Ruby