The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 19

After allowing Alice and Bella a few moments with Emma, the Cullens headed home. Meanwhile, the wolves went their own way with a quick goodbye to the unconscious Emma-Kate. Benjamin was the last to leave. He told Victor it would only be for a bit and he would be back in an hour or two.

~~~

Almost the minute the Cullens got home, Alice blurted out, "So what did you and Victor talk about?"

Carlisle sighed, he knew one of them would ask that. "You all better take a seat."

The three did as they were told, and were joined by Esme and Jasper, who had come to greet them, as well as Rosalie and Emmett, whom of which had returned from their trip last week.

Edward attempted to probe Carlisle's mind, but the elder was too clever. He made sure to keep this thoughts elsewhere until the family was settled.

Alice also attempted to use her powers, but her anxiety got the best of her. She couldn't put in the necessary concentration for her to "see" what Carlisle was about to tell them.

Bella was worried, to say the least. She was griping Edward's hand tightly, while mulling over pessimistic thoughts. Is Emma alright? Did something bad happen to her?

Esme was also concerned for the girl, even if they had only met once. Really, she was more concerned for her children. They were attached to Emma-Kate, and would be terribly hurt if something bad happened to her.

Jasper wasn't nearly as troubled as the others, but showed a fair bit of fret. He enjoyed Emma-Kate's company. Even though nobody has really mentioned it yet, Emma and her brother smelled differently than other humans. Like stale crackers, almost. Jasper was glad because he could relax around the two, let his gaurd down...

As for Rosalie...Well, she didn't care much at all. She did note that Emma was different, but didn't really see the big point in the matter. Rosalie never even met the girl.

Emmett was more curious than anything. He heard a fair deal about Emma-Kate from the rest of his family, and desperately wanted to meet the girl. This was a bit new and exciting. Things had fizzled down since Bella's arrival, and now his boredom could be resolved!

Carlisle was nervous about telling the rest of his family about Emma's past... Even though Victor had assured him everything was fine, he thought the matter was a bit personal to be talking about without Emma herself present. But his family had a right to know about the girl, and Victor didn't mind sharing. "Well, Victor gave me a bit of important information about Emma's past..." He looked the other vampires dead in the eyes as he continued. "I ask that you be sensitive around Emma if this topic ever comes up."

The Cullens were now quite apprehensive.

"Less than a year ago," Carlisle began, "Emma had a baby." His audience perked up, especially Rosalie, oddly enough. "The father had passed away, and with no parents, and while being an active peacekeeper, Emma had decided it was best to give up her baby."

"Wait a minute..." Bella murmured. "No parents?"

Carlisle raised his eyebrows, "Yes, her parents had died when Emma and her brother were about ten...She never told you?" Carlisle had known from her medical history. "Odd. Well, as you can tell she's been through a lot of trauma, and it would be highly appreciated if you avoid these conversation topics with her, especially while she's recovering."

~~~

Jacob rushed dinner when he got home. Billy said little, only inquiring about Emma-Kate. His son gave him short answers, but Billy didn't mind. This was the first time Jake had been so lively in weeks.

After dinner, Sam had given Jacob a bread from his pack duties for the week. He'd been slacking off, anyway. A small vacation would do him some good. Even with the Beta wolf gone, the pack was strong, and even if there was an attack, they would easily overcome it.

Once learning of his vacation, Jacob immediately went out to the hospital again (this time taking his Rabbit, instead of walking).

Right after he left, Sam made a quick call to Carlisle, requesting the doctor go to the hospital in case Victor was still there.

~~~

Carlisle hung up the phone after a short conversation with Sam. He knew that he shouldn't leave Victor and Jacob alone together, but being at the hospital for so long was being to put a bit of a strain on him. Carlisle loved being home with his family, and this was his first time to relax in quite a while.

"Edward," He called softly.

In seconds, Edward poked his head into Carlisle immense office. "Yes?"

"Would you mind going down to the hospital for a bit? Jacob's heading over now and I know that Victor's still there." Carlisle cast his eyes down a bit, "I don't want a repeat of earlier..."

"I understand," Edward nodded, already pulling out the keys to his Volvo.

"Thank you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm... still no Emma... She'll be awake again next chapter, I promise!
Anyway, I was almost done writing this chapter, but my computer got all out of wack. Legit, I was on spell checking, and lost the chapter TT.TT but for the sake of you, my readers (and my deadline) I have re-written it.

XXX
Ruby