The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 24

The next morning, I managed to wake up and get myself out of bed, using crutches. I'd been practacing and was able to take a few steps without exhausting myself completly.

I could walk from my bed to my dresser, then it took me a minute to stand still so I could get my clothes of of the drawers. After achieving a pair of large black sweatpants and a while cami, I hobbled back over to my bed.

Dressing was tough. I had to do it sitting down and occasionally one-handed. But I eventually got of the grimey hospital clothes (I was allowed yesterday to bath in the hospital, thankfully). I had to roll on pant leg up over my cast, because it looked so ridiculous underneith.

Moving again over to the small bathroom attached to the bedroom, I grabed a brush and smoothed out my negletected curls. Immediatly after, I just tossed them into a ponytail at the top of my head.

The wheel chair was right beside my bed, and using the crutches once more, I lowered myself into it, then threw the crutches up on my bed.

Wheeling into the kitchen, I discovered my brother...

Cooking.

With help.

From Jacob.

They were both failing miserably.

How could I tell? The distinct burning smell filling the small appartment style kitchin.

"What are you both doing?" I asked, my eyes wide at the sight before me.

Victor stuck his tounge out at me over his shoulder, already guessing my thoughts. "I'm hungry. The only breakfast stuff I could find was this pancake mix."

"And I came in and saw him pretty much light the whole thing on fire, so..." Jacob continued the story.

"You decided to help..." I filled in.

"Not that you're helping much, dog."

"Oh shut it, if it weren't for me, this entire building would be up in flames!"

"There was no fire!"

Just as that was said, another pancake lit up on the griddle.

Hasitly, Victor tossed a cup of water over it.

"...How bout we go out to eat instead? My treat." I suggseted, already wheeling myself towards the door.

"Wonderful idea," Jake agreed.

Crestfallen, Victor followed us outside.

All three of us piled into my brother's truck (mostly because my Ferrari wasn't quite handicap friendly). He took Jake and I too a small diner around Fork's boarder. It was clean and quiant, perfect for my first breakfast out of the hospital.

I ordered some coffee to start with, as did Victor. Jake just ordered some water.

Once the waitress put down the mug infront of me, I scooped up the sugar despenser and began pouring spoonful after spoonful in.

Victor liked his black, and just began to drink, "So, Em," He said over the rim of the mug, "I ordered our plane tickets to Philly. Our flight's on Wednesay."

Jacob stiffened considerably next to me.

I hesitated a moment before putting my seventh spoonful of sugar into my cup. "Actually, Vic..." I began to pour the sugar again, "I kinda wanted to stay a bit longer..."

My twin cocked an eyebrow at me, "So next week, then?"

I nodded, shrugging, "Next week, next month, or maybe next year..." I drug the sentance out slowly.

An eerie moment of silence.

"How long, Emma?"

"Vic... It's just that..." I searched my mind for the right words. "Well, you've seen everybody here! I knew them for two days before my accident, yet they still were concerned as ever. I FIT IN here, Victor." Staring down at the coffee in my mug, I added, "I feel wanted-- No, NEEDED here."

Jacob grabbed my hand under the table, and gave it a quick squeeze before letting go. I tried not to let Victor notice, but was affraid the heat in my cheeks gave something away.

"You saw them in the room together, MK..." Victor argued, "They don't need you. Everything's fine."

"For how long?" I began to furiously rip open creamers, dumping them into the coffee as well. "It's not like Philly, where the supernaturals leave or just stop after we repremand them. These people aren't like low class demons or spirits or whatever. Vampires and werewolves, together in one place. This is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity!"

Jake gave me an odd look. I suppose he never realized how special his situation is.

"You realize you'll be leaving me alone." Victor's eyes were stoney and cold. I knew he didn't need my help when it came to peacekeeping. Victor was strong. He could take care of the entire city himself for the most part. What my brother was getting at, was that I would be deserting him as a sister...

Tears began to well up in my eyes, I quickly blinked them away, "Victor, I know where my place is... Besides, I could send Naomi to stay with you... Or Becca, or Ed."

Victor narrowed his eyes, "You know I don't care much for Naomi, and the other two are always traveling."

"They would make an exception..."

Victor leaned back, and sighed. "Fine. If YOU can convince them to come to Philly with me, then you can stay."

I grinned. Just a happy smile, not a confident one. The task ahead was gonna be tough, knowing those two...
♠ ♠ ♠
Le gasp! Who are Ed and Becca? We'll find out NEXT TIME!!! MUHAHAHA!
And moving along...
I HAVE COMPLETELY MY MAGNIFICENT CHALLENGE OF POSTING 10 CHAPTERS BY 11:59PM ON MONDAY!!
(Remember, people, I'm pretty sure I live in a different time zone than mibba.)
But right now it is exactly 11:11pm (make a wish!) on monday, where I am.
I am beastly!
So yeah, I'm gonna try and keep up the updates...

XXX
Ruby

P.S. comments? They're lovely, you know...

P.P.S. sorry again for spelling mistakes... I don't get spell check on this computer, and it will be fixed ASAP.