The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 31

"So?" Benjamin prodded, glancing up from the news paper, "Are you going to read the note?"

I returned his look with a raised eyebrow, but nodded nonetheless.

Aloud, I read:

Dear MK,
Ed and Bec showed up, and demanded that I'd accompany them to Seattle. They would like to let you know, that they'd much prefer it if you came, but (due to your lack of ability to walk) I suggested against the idea.
Just as we were about to leave, our little Benjamin showed up. I expect him to still be at the apartment when you arrive home. If he is not; go find him. Quickly. He's not up to any good.
But I digress. I got some take out for lunch, and left some in the fridge for your dinner, that is, if the Cullen's haven't fed you.
So, I'll probably be back either late tonight or early tomorrow morning.
Hope you've had a fun time house hunting. I expect you to be out of that cramped apartment by the time I leave Washington!
Xoxo,
Vic

Benjamin peered over my shoulder to scan the note quickly. "So... He was kidnapped?"

"Pretty much."

"Are you gonna help him?" The younger boy continued, now looking back to the paper.

"Nope."

"Nice."

~~~

And the night strode on... Benjamin stayed with me, muching off of my hospitality (or lack thereof).

Around eight o' clock or so, I grew very tired of the wheel chair and switched to crutches. Happy with my new found mobility, Benjamin offered to take me to what Fork's called "Main Street" for a quick dinner.

He drove me in the Ferrari. I found it much easier to stow away crutches than an entire wheel chair, and was quite pleased to find this beneficial.

Benjamin, only seemingly twelve, was actually much older. Probably older than most of the Cullens, in fact. Around two hundred, maybe a century and a half or so. Fire demons didn't age like humans. Well, at first they do. But they are able to sort of put their aging on pause. Benjamin stopped in early adolescence, while Aidyn let himself reach the age of sixteen or seventeen before stopping. The most remarkable part is that they are also able to continue from wherever they paused. If Benjamin felt like it, he could age to twenty or thirty. Most of the fire demons, though, are very cautious about the way they look. Once you continue you'll never stop.

So, Benjamin being the age he is (over 150 years, at least), he has obviously been allotted enough time to learn how to drive.

He ended up taking me to the same diner that Victor, Jacob, and I went to yesterday morning.

The second Benjamin pulled us into the parking lot, I immediately commanded, "Park in the handy cap spot! Park in the handy cap spot!"

"Fine!" He grumbled, gliding my car into the blue-painted parking spot.

He helped me out, and we trekked the short walk into the diner. Honestly, it didn't suprise me at all to see three werewolves joyfully jousting about in a corner booth.

"Holy crap, it's Emma-Kate!" Quil grinned at me, quickly gaining the attention of Jacob and Embry, whom of which were sitting across from him.

Jacob looked completely ecstatic to see me, and sent a grin and a wink in my direction. I managed to hide most of my blush, and smiled back. Then his eyes flickered to Benjamin, and his smiled faltered a bit. Not too much, though.

Embry beckoned us over, inviting us to take a seat at the booth. I gladly accepted, walking at a beat towards them. Benjamin hesitantly followed.

"Hey," I greeted once reaching the table. Embry stealthily moved to the other side, and took the empty spot next to Quil. This allowed me to sit next to Jacob, while Benjamin pulled up a chair. "Long time, no see." I said this to Quil and Embry.

Quil gave me an odd look, "It's only been a few days."

I shrugged, "Really? Feels like at least three weeks..."

"It does feel like a long time, doesn't it?" Jake commented, his husky voice sending a small tremor down my spin.

"You look different," Embry joined in. "I almost didn't recognize you when you walked in."

I nodded, "It was because I was standing up. Not many people around here are used to that."

Benjamin scuffed a laugh to my right. This drawled the three wolves's attention to him.

"So who are you?" Jacob leaned over a bit, getting a better look at the boy. "I don't believe we've been properly introduced."

"This is Benjamin," I jumped in. "Ben, this is Quil, Embry, and Jacob. You probably recognize them from the hospital..."

Benjamin nodded, "Yes, I know who they are."

The three passed eachother a look.

"So are you babysitting this kid, Em?" Jacob whispered to me, his radiating heat warming my left side.

I giggled a bit, "Not at all. If anything, it's the other way around." My voice was hush, and most probably couldn't hear us over the bustle of the restaurant.

"And I'm not a kid," Benjamin added.

Jacob, obviously astounded he could hear so well, looked over to Benjamin, and narrowed his eyes a bit.

"So you been hanging with the vampires today, Emma?" Embry addressed me.

"Yeah," I sighed, nodding. "They came over and then kidnapped me."

"Why?"

"Real estate."

"Real estate?" Jacob questioned.

"Yep." I turned to smile at my lover. "They bought me a house this afternoon. I'm officially here to stay."
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, that seems like a nice place to stop.
And yes, I'm baaaaaaaack! Celebrate now, everybody!
I'm going to (once again) attempt to keep updates consistent. Lets pray I can do it!
So here's two in a row, so that's a good start....

XXX
Ruby