The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 32

Throughout dinner, the five of us joked around, for the most part, I switched between conversing with the wolves, and then Benjamin. On occasion, Jacob would lean over and whisper something in my ear. Usually, it was along the lines of, "Oh, Quil's totally lying. Seth beat him by a landslide, he just won't admit it." Then, once in a while, I would get, "You look stunning today." He attempted to say these things so no one else would hear (and though Quil and Embry didn't), Benjamin ended up rolling his eyes with every word.

"Hey, you hear," Embry questioned to Jacob, "Sam and Emily talking bout kids already?"

He nodded, "Emily wants them real bad, but Sam's scared to death."

I noticed, the minute the topic came up, Benjamin began to glare harshly at the trio. Quil and Embry caught his stare and rose an eyebrow at it. Almost immediatly afterwords, their heads snapped in my direction, obviously checking to see if I was upset by the conversation or not.

But, as they soon realized, the topic barely phased me. In fact, I was far too busy trying to drown the lemon in my coke to care or pay attention.

Jacob shared my passive expression, instead, gazing blankly at me, already aware how little I cared.

Quil and Embry gave each other another look, but shrugged.

Benjamin, still somewhat peevish-looking, asked through gritted teeth, "So, Emma. Where is the house you're moving to?"

Pausing from my lemon-assault, I pursed my lips, trying to remember the address that had been printed on the form I was forced to fill out earlier. "I forget the exact address... But it's to the north side of town, hidden up in the forests."

I noticed the three teenage werewolves pass a quick glance, "Isn't that near us?" Embry muttered, looking to the others for confirmation.

I nodded, "Yeah, the house isn't too far from La Push... No where near the residency side of the reservation, though."

"Wait, wait..." Quil interjected. "Is the house you're moving into, really big, old, and blue?"

"Yeah, that's the place."

"We pass that house on patrol all the time..." Embry murmured, "Never thought anyone would buy it, though. That place gives me the creeps."

Absentmindedly, I returned to my lemon, pushing it down below the ice cubes with my straw. Nonchalantly, I told them, "Cause it's haunted."

Incredulously, Benjamin turned to me. "Of course. You of all people would choose to live in a haunted house."

I just shrugged, "It's a big place, I'm sure we can share. I just hope it's not a screamer. Those are horrible to live with."

Quil snickered a bit, but was silenced by a swift kick from Jake.

I rolled my eyes.

~~~

Our meals came, and quickly went.

Benjamin insisted on paying for me, so I put up little argument and allowed him to do so. Who am I to pass on free food?

And so, it came time to leave. Benjamin headed strait to the Ferrari, but I paused outside the restaurant to say goodbye to my friends.

Quil and Embry offered a quick goodbye, each giving me a brief hug. Jake was sure to sneak a small peck on the corner of my mouth. I had to cover the large grin that almost persisted in spreading over my face, with a faux scowl. He just laughed and walked to where his friends were beckoning.

I hobbled in my own direction.

"Your friends," The young fire demon sneered as soon I as sat down, "Are quite crude."

I couldn't help but laugh a bit, "They're teenage boys, Ben. Don't expect them to act like sophisticated aristocrats or anything."

He simply huffed. "You're too good to be stuck with a wolf of all things."

"Hey, he's a nice wolf!" I vouched.

"Still a wolf." He countered.

Sighing, I asked, "Who would you rather see me with? A mermaid?"

He frowned, turning to me when we stopped at a red light. "You know exactly who I want to see you with."

My face and heart grew stony. I did know exactly who he was talking about.
♠ ♠ ♠
:/ sorry this one's so short, guys. But I did have fun writing a dinner scene with the golden trio of Twilight and my two OCs.

Anyway, comment, rate, read. Doesn't matter to me, I'll still be posting ;P

XXX
Ruby