The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 36

I stared ghost girl, strait into her cold dead eyes.

Jake stood next to me, confused beyond comprehension, becoming more and more frustrated by the minute. "Emma... What the hell are you talking about?"

"It's.... No big deal." I forced the words out, never breaking my stare.

"It's a big deal! You're obviously not telling me SOMETHING. Now... Just tell me what's going on and why breakable objects are being propelled through the air?!"

The ghost began to grin, sensing his discomfort.

"Jake," I commanded, her smirk causing me great annoyance, "Shut up. And chill, seriously."

Jacob seemed quite taken aback by my blunt statement, but listened nonetheless, recognizing the utmost seriousness in my voice.

The ghost and I stood (well, I was standing, I'm not sure what exactly the ghost was doing... Hovering? Floating, maybe?) completely still, never breaking eye contact for at least another five minutes. Jake stayed just as still and silent behind me. Somehow, the ghost had realized I wasn't giving up this contest and she herself was the first to leave.

Which to me was surprising. Normally ghosts don't have many other better things to do than challenge a newcomer.

My posture relaxed, and so Jake, following, relaxed also.

"Now can I know--"

"Yes, you can fucking know!" My words were sent with a slight (understated) annoyance at the ghost girl, but also with joking exasperation, "That fucking ghost in my fucking BRAND NEW house, and it's is fucking pissed that I'm here, and I'M fucking pissed that SHE'S fucking here, and I know this is a fucking run-on sentence, but I don't fucking care cause this dead BITCH is fucking BREAKING all of my fucking valuables, and your fucking shouting isn't fucking HELPING!!"

Jake was silent, "So this is all because of a--?"

"Yes, Jake, a fucking ghost!"

"You should really stop cursing--"

"No, I really shouldn't." Pain began to shoot up my leg as I stalked my way over to the kitchen table, but I honestly didn't care, "If I don't say it with my mouth, then I say it with my fists. And trust me, whatever my mouth does isn't nearly as bad as what I can do with my hands."

A moment of silence passed as I processed my own words...

Jake could only let out a barely audible snort of laughter.

"You know what I mean!" I scowled from across the room at him.

Jake grinned, striding towards me once more, "So, this ghost thing... What are you gonna do about it?"

"Her." I corrected.

Jake looked confused, "Her?" He sat down next to me.

I nodded, pulling one of his arms across the table surface, holding his hand and resting my head on his large forearm. "It's a girl ghost." My words were muffled as I snuggled into my incredibly warm make-shift pillow.

"Girl ghost," He echoed. "Now, what are you planning to do?"

"Well," I rotated my head to the side so my voice could be heard better, "She's obviously not happy that I'm here. And I'm not planning to leave. So, I guess she has to go."

Disbelievingly, Jake huffed, "How are you gonna convince a ghost to leave it's house."

"My house." I immediately corrected. "And I'm not going to 'convince' her to do anything. I'm gonna kick her ass out."

"How?"

My head shot up, and I stared strait into his black eyes, "Exorcism." I stated blandly and slowly, as if speaking to a young child.

He stared back, smiled for just a second, then returned to his previous perplexed expression, "But," Jake began unsure. "Aren't exorcisms kind of... Well, mean to ghosts?"

I snorted, puring my lips once again as I laid my head back down on Jake's arm, "Isn't throwing glass objects mean to me?"

~~~

It had taken an entire hour for me to assure Jacob to leave. He continuously thought up horrific scenarios of the "evil ghost girl" coming and attacking me at night. But, I reassured that it's practically impossible for a ghost to "possess me then have me jump off the roof" or "kill me in my nightmares."

That's Freddy's territory.

But, I finally got him to go back to his house and sleep some. Then the rest of my night tirelessly filled with phone calls and preternatural text books.

~~~

They had given Emma enough time to settle in, now it was time to redo the downstairs bathroom and convert the north-faced bedroom into an office study. Esme and her daughter Alice sat giddily in the back of Edward's Volvo, Bella situated between them, forced to listen to their never-ending decor related chatter. The human girl caught her lover's eye from the rear-view mirror, and he winked a golden eye at her from the front seat. Jasper, beside him, smiled at the supposedly unseen action.

The two vampire females couldn't get to the front door (which they decided needed a new paint job) quick enough. While the two were discussing color choices, the other three of their group standing behind them, faces filled with boredom, a surprisingly foreign person opened aforementioned door, and stepped onto the porch.

It was a feeble-looking nun, much to their surprise. She was frail-boned, fairly short, wearing a button-up light blue shirt with a modest, calf-length black pencil skirt and stockings, along with the standard veil. She looked young, most likely in her mid-twenties, with big green doe eyes. She caught sight of the vampires ahead, mumbled a fearfully quiet, "Sorry, excuse me," and tottered off down the drive to a large garnet colored minivan parked near the top.

The Cullens (and Bella) threw a questioning look to one another before filing into the house.

"Emma?" Esme called in her rich and soothing voice, "It's us! We're back to help with the house! Where are you?"

A tired voice called from the large house, "Sorry, I'm in the kitchen!"

The party of five trudged through the large, open, and unfurnished rooms to the back of the house, where the kitchen was. There they found their now good friend, sitting cross legged at the lone table by herself. Emma wore a pair of very faded, and frayed, and torn, gray overalls, with what looked to be a black sports bra underneath. The overalls were very large on her petite frame, completely covering her feet. Her unruly, curly hair fell loose to her mid back, the dark hairs looking soft but tasseled. One arm rested an elbow on the arm of her chair, holding her chin on it's fist, while the other lay draped across her concave stomach. The peacekeeper didn't even bother to look up from the window she was staring at when they entered.

Unsure of her silence, the four vampires and one human entered the kitchen and dispersed themselves comfortably. Bella took a seat next to Emma, Edward standing behind her chair with his hands folded on it's back. Jasper and Alice stayed standing nearby, but Esme followed Bella's example and sat.

Noticing her guests' questioning gazes, Emma finally turned to them with the smile greeting, "Yo."

~~~

"So, Emma," Edward was the first to speak up, "May I ask who the Catholic nun that just walked out your door was?"

"Sister Mary Paul of St. Dorothy's Catholic Church. Why?"

"Well, we're all just a bit curious to know what she was doing here."

I shifted, now slouching in my chair with my forearms resting on the table. "Oh, she was just dropping something off. We had a little chat and some lemonade." I gestured to the two half empty glasses on the table.

"What was she dropping off?"

I smiled slightly at the two items in front of me. They were both vials of liquid. One vial was spherical, made of clear glass, filled with what seemed to be just regular water. The cap was golden with a small cross standing erect off the top.

I took the vial into my hand. It was large, about the size of my fists.

Edward scrutinized the vial and it's contents, "Holy water?" He asked with a creased brow.

I nodded. "She told me everybody should keep some around the house."

"Then what's the other thing?" It was Alice who asked this as she pointed a pale, slim finger at the other vial.

Setting down the Holy Water, I picked the other one up. This vial was much smaller, only the size of a golf ball. It wasn't as pretty as the other vial, being made of black plastic, with a simple screw-on flat top. With a quick twist of the lid, I opened the vial, covering the top quickly with the tip of my index finger.

"Come here," I beckoned to Edward.

He leaned in.

"Say 'aaahh.'" I commanded, exampling by opening my mouth widely.

Edward, though confused and cautious, complied.

My movements were quick as I flicked the opening of the bottle towards his open mouth, allowing a few drops of the mysterious liquid to fly out. Most landed in his mouth, but an unlucky two drops had landed on his right cheek.

Edward closed his mouth, sloshing the taste around for a second. He then lifted his fingers to wipe away the excess drops on his face. Looking down, he saw on his hand crimson smears. It was obvious to anyone that the liquid was blood.

"Chicken...?" Edward concluded.

"Yup," I confirmed, replacing the cap on the black vial. "Chicken's blood."

"What on earth do you need chicken blood for?" Esme questioned, completely taken aback from across the table.

I smiled lazily at her, "You know that ghost you said was haunting the house?" The older woman nodded, "Well, I was sorry to find out that she's none too friendly..." I paused, my eyes scanning around the kitchen. My next few words were quite unnecessarily loud, "She reared her FUGLY LITTLE HEAD and broke some of MY BEST CHINA." The other Cullens began glancing around, too, knowing I was shouting so the ghost could hear. "Anyway," I turned back to Esme, "I like the house way too much for me to leave. And ghosty's made it quite clear she doesn't want me around. So, one of us has to go, might as well be her."

Esme nodded, not quite understanding, but knowing that this was probably quite common for a peacekeeper. Which it was. "But that still doesn't answer why you need chicken blood, of all things..."

"Exorcism." I answered with a shrug.

"Pagan?" Edward asked.

I shook my head, "Portuguese."
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoooy! Sorry for the delay -_-' You know how I am.
Well, this was quite a fun chapter to write, I enjoyed it immensely. Hope you enjoyed reading it!
Anyway next chapter may come anywhere between Wednesday and.... Three months from now.
But, you know reviews always get me writing faster.

XXX
Ruby