The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 37

"So when is this exorcism taking place?" Alice chimed. "I've never seen one done in person before, and would like to watch it."

I turned, as to be able to look at her when I spoke. One of the floppy straps of my overalls fell off my shoulder. I quickly corrected the clothing, while saying, "Probably tomorrow, maybe tonight, although it's nothing really that special... I suppose it just depends on how she acts. If I can put it off for one more day, then I'll put it off." I paused, thoughtfully choosing my next words, "But if she causes too much... Damage, then I might just do it this afternoon."

Of course, by damage I meant that she hurt somebody. The ghost can obviously move a vase, and toss a dinner plate. What to stop her from throwing a picture frame at someone’s head?

Alice, satisfied with my answer, but curious for more knowledge, moved up to the table. Simultaneously, her and Edward took a seat on either side of me. The table was rounded, and could fit a total of eight. Almost directly across from me (but positioned a tad bit to my left) was Esme. To her right was Alice, who was seated next to me, and sitting on Esme's left was Bella. Obviously, next to Bella was Edward. There was one empty chair between Edward and I, then two divided Esme from both of the girls beside her. A dim ray of Fork's brand sunshine beamed through the window on the back door behind me, causing each of the vampires to reflect and glitter, along with allowing the Holy Water to cast a crescent-shaped rainbow on the table top.

These small effects, along with the already calming eggshell white/baby blue color scheme gave the kitchen a very tranquil atmosphere.

"Why does she haunt the house?" Bella's question cut through the brief silence.

I raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean, Bell?"

"Well, dead people don't become ghosts for no reason, right?" She began with a logical tone to her voice, "Something must have happened to her or something, right?"

Again, I leaned back into my chair, this time placing my hands behind my neck to support my head, "Well, I've met ghosts who have no other reason to stay other than 'they felt like it.'"

I chuckled, fondly remembering one particular ghost Victor and I met in a restaurant in Philadelphia. He was an infuriating older gentleman, who just LOVED to communicate through riddles and sarcasm. I, personally, like to compare him to the Mad Hatter from "Alice in Wonderland."

"But, you're right. Most ghosts don't move on because they have unfinished business left on Earth, or are just too traumatized." I gestured my hands around, as I said the next sentence, "But our ectoplasm-composed friend here does have a reason to haunt. A rather stupid reason, but believable." I sighed.

Esme, now very interested, moved gracefully forward in her chair, whispering to me, "What happened?"

I knotted my lips, "Well, evidently, her name is Eliza Lovejoy. Her father was a wealthy trader of goods, and this was their country home. During one summer, she met up with a local boy." I rolled my eyes, having heard similar stories over a hundred times already, "They fell in love, but her parents forbade them from seeing each other because he was in a lower social class. Eliza was bitter, until one day she got a letter from him saying that they should elope or something like that. Well, they day before they planned to hook up, the boy got into an accident down by the shore, and died. Eliza hung herself in one of the bedrooms upstairs, mostly out of heartbreak, bitterness, and spite."

"That's terrible!" Alice, Esme, and Bella all chorused together, their chime-like voices clashing a bit. They were all very touched by the story.

I threw my hands up into the air in an eloquent shrug. "That's life. Shit happens, but you don't have to DIE over it."

A now all-too-familiar shatter sounded from the far corner. Again, a cabinet was open, and colorful glass was strewn across the tile floor in a messy splat-shaped pile.

My head fell back like a heavy weight of annoyance, and one of my small, frail hands ran down my face, "Biiiitch." I drew out with a loud breath.

"What just happened?" Asked Esme, who left her chair to go inspect the shards of glass on the floor.

I gave the broken plate an incredulous stare, "Isn't it obvious? Eliza threw a tantrum and broke ANOTHER one of my plates."

To my right, Edward pinched up his flawless face, "But I didn't see anything..."

"Spirits can do that." I told him, "Since they're not really people, it's almost impossible to sense their movements or plans. They can toss something across the room too fast for even you."

~~~

The vampires left me to my thoughts not long after the conversation had ended. When they left, my house was once again empty, with the exception of me and Eliza. Once I heard the front door slam, signaling their exit, I whipped out my cell, and speed-dialed #2.

"Hey, MK." Victor greeted after three rings. "What's up?"

"My house is haunted." I said bluntly, pulling a stick of gum from the pack in my pocket and popping it in my mouth. A watermelon-based sensation flowed over my tongue. "You got any Portuguese rolls I can borrow?"

I heard a bit of shuffling on the other line, "Oh, you're doing THAT kind of exorcism. You must really not like this ghost, huh?" A small pause as he breathed a laugh, "Well, I personally don't have any rolls on me, but I'll pick up some and drop them off tonight, kay?"

"Sweet," I agreed, snapping the gum loudly, "By the way, Vic," I sat up a bit more in my chair, leaning my elbows on the table, "Have you seen Benjamin around lately? He hasn't stopped by to see me in a while."

"Why?"

I pursed my lips, "Well, we kinda got into a bit of a disagreement... Sorta."

My brother scoffed, "What else is new? But you guys usually get over it. What happened this time?"

"Well, we met up with Jake, Quil, and Embry at a diner. Ben already knew Jake had imprinted with me, you know?" I snapped the gum again, "And, not to mention, Benjamin hates pretty much any guy who looks twice at me, let alone a werewolf that had imprinted. Obviously, he was pissed to begin with, but after seeing us together, or maybe it was just seeing how Jake was as a person, Benjamin had decided he REALLY didn't like him." A sigh, "We kinda got into this indirect debate of how I should still be faithful Aidyn..."

I could almost sense Victor nodded on the other line, "But Aidyn's dead." He finished. Drawling in a long breath, Vic continued, "Well, Em, little brothers do tend to get attached to their older brother's girlfriend. He treats you like family, and now I guess he figures this is a family betrayal. But he'll get over it. This is just something little brothers do sometimes."

I smirked, "And YOU would know."

An exasperated, "You’re only older by nine minutes, Em!" Was his reply.

Giggling, I wrapped up the conversation, "Anyway, thanks for picking up the rolls for me."

"Sure thing."

"See jah." I mumbled, and clicked the red "End Call" button.

But, I didn't put my phone away. Instead, I held down the #3 button, speed dialing another number.

"Emma-Kaaaate!" An enthusiastic voice called. "What's up?"

"Hey, Ed," I returned the greeting to the girl, "Is Bec with you?"

The multicolor haired girl made a "pfft" sound before saying, "When is she NOT with me?"

I chuckled in agreement. "Well, tell her I want you guys over here in Forks, ASAP."

"Beeeec," Ed drawled the name out, "Ema-Em wanna talk with you." I imagined her thrusting the phone at her friend.

"Emma?" Bec answered with a sigh, "What's up, dude?"

Blowing a bubble, I mumbled, "There's a ghost in my house and I need you guys to help me get rid of it."

"Coolio," She grinned, "We'll be up by... Tonight? Hey, Ed, how long would it take me to get to Forks from here?"

I barely heard the other girl's returning question of, "Are we abiding by traffic laws?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Then by... Ugh, it would be faster if we--"

"Not again, Ed. Last time, you drove our car into a tree."

"But I didn't want to hit that raccoon!"

"There wouldn't have been any raccoons if you drove on the road, instead of taking a 'shortcut' through the forest!"

Ed huffed, but said nothing else.

"Yeah, we'll be there by tonight, Em."

I grinned at their banter, "Thanks guys."

~~~

Keeping their promise, the two rolled up my driveway in a large black van around 11 o' clock that night.

"So, where's ghosty and when do you want us to send the bitch off?" Ed asked, walking into the house.

The two were dressed in a more casual version of their normal style. Bec wore a black tee shirt and faded jeans, while Ed wore a black v-neck with ripped gray jeans. I suppose they were taking a break from their normal party schedules.

"Truth be told, guys," I explained as I lead the two through the house. "I'm not planning on doing the exorcism until tomorrow."

"Which type of exorcism are you planning on performing?" Bec asked curiously. We were in the living room now, and I invited two of my close friend to sit on the couches, as I left for the kitchen to get some drinks for them both.

Now in the kitchen, I called back to answer, "I was planning on the one you guys taught me, the Portuguese one."

Ed laughed a bit, "Nice."

"So why do you need us?" Bec continued when I returned to the living room. The two left their seats to get the two drinks I brought in, upon noticing I was having trouble walking without a crutch of some sort.

"Awe, you brought a Monster," Ed cooed, "You know me so well."

I rolled my eyes, handing Bec her Pepsi Max. Ignoring, the shorter girl, I answered her question, "Just for spiritual support, really. This ghost is overly violent, and I'm just covering my ass in case anything goes wrong."

"What do you mean, 'in case anything goes wrong?'" A voice sounded behind me.

I whipped around, seeing Jake standing in the doorway between the foyer and the living room. "Hey, I didn't hear you come in." I purposefully avoided his question. "You remember Ed and Bec, right?"

He stepped farther into the room, nodding to the two girls in greeting.

They nodded back, simultaneously saying, "Sup?"

Jake smiled at their casualness, but his expression soon turned serious again. “Now, what did you mean earlier.”

You know… I’m really getting kind of tired having to explain myself to Jake. Don’t get me wrong, I get imprinting better than most people would, and I know he cares to the point of obscenity… But still. It seems to be every little thing. He’s getting to be worse than my brother.

“Jake,” I sighed, “Just lay off, okay?”

“No.” He balked. “I wanna know. What could go wrong with the exorcism? I thought you said noting was going to happen.”

I rolled my eyes. He just does not’t listen, does he?

Luckily, my two friends stepped in at this point.

“No exorcism is completely safe.” Ed started.

“There’s always a possibility of something going wrong.” Bec explained.

“Grant it,” Ed sauntered over to the love seat, sitting down and taking a short swig of her drink. “From what Emma’s told us, this doesn’t seem like a case that would have a dangerous outcome.”

“She’s just taking precautions, that’s all.” Was what the blue-eyed girl finished with, joining her companion on the couch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another long one... In which nothing really happened... -_-' lo siento, mis fanaticas.
But yeah, it was going to be much longer, but I really had to stop or I would have never updated at all.
Anyway, it seems Emma's finally starting to feel the strain of imprinting... I do wonder what will happen next...

XXX
Ruby