The Peace Keeper

The Peace Keeper (Twilight) 8

Alice and Edward dragged me to an addition-building they called their garage.

I could fit the entire first floor of my apparent building inside.

Seriously, it reminded me of Bruce Wayne’s garage, you know the one from Tim Burton’s version of “Batman?” Various motor vehicles were orderly parked, like a fortress of troops awaiting commands from their superior.

‘I swear if I could get behind the wheel of one of these babies…’ Was my only thought.

“Like what you see?” A smooth voice spoke from my right.

“Hell yeah,” I responded to Edward, not hiding my impression.

Alas, before I could bask in the greatness of the numerous brands of automobiles, something highly suspicious caught my eye.

A smoky fog ghosted it’s way along the far wall, gently rolling over the hoods and roofs of the cars it passed. What is this fog, you may ask? Why, it’s none other than a ghostly being, trapped in the Cullen’s home for reasons I am bound to discover later!

What. A. Buzzkill.

As I studied the spirit, Edward pulled me over to a hot red Mustang convertible with black racing stripes. He thus proceeded to tell me the car’s life story. I nodded, not really paying too much attention, I already knew the model and make from sight. Rather, I studied the fog that attentively crept closer.

Quickly, I analyzed everyone else’s expressions. Jasper and Alice stood a few yards away, talking to each other too fast and hushed for me to hear. Edward was too into the Mustang to realize I wasn’t really pay attention, while Bella stood next to him, uninterested but listening anyway. All this was despite the fact that a vaporous, eerie, ghost-like blob of gas was hovering closer and closer every second.

Now, fortunately, this particular ghost was no real harm. Spirits left in this world thrive on their clairvoyant power. This is often pending on the level of negative emotions they felt at time of death. The Cullen’s ghost probably died unexpected way, not in angst or depression. The leftover spirit probably came from the shock of bereavement.

“Are you alright?”

I quickly snapped my head to Edward, seeing as it was him who asked the question. “Yeah, why do you ask?”

Bella peered at me from around Edward. “You seem a little tense, that’s all.”

Laughing in reassurance, I said, “Oh, it’s fine. Jet lagged, that’s all. If I was in Philly, I’d be sleeping right now.” Of coarse, that wasn’t the truth at all. Jet lag doesn’t effect me much; I fell asleep just fine last night, and got through an entire school day. The ghost was making me uncomfortable. They always did, no matter how many times I see one.

“If we’re making you uncomfortable--” Alice started, approaching me warily.

I recoiled mentally at the statement. “Oh, no! It’s not you guys at all!” I assured, meeting each of the Vampires’ and Bella’s eyes. “Like I said, it’s the jet lag.”

Skeptical, Alice nodded nonetheless.

“Well,” Edward broke the silence. “Esme has finished dinner, why don’t we go up now?” He flashed a glittering smile.

The rest of us agreed and began our trek to the dining room.

Regrettably, the ghost followed us.

An extraordinarily lavish décor was spread across the dining room table. Candles lit and all. This isn’t gonna be awkward at all!

Alice gestured or me to take a seat next to her. I did as I was told, feeling slightly out of place in such a big chair at such a extravagant placement. The vampires-- despite their casual school/work clothes-- looked like they jumped out of a perfect picture. Bella was seated across from me, next to Edward. Our eyes met, and it was obvious we’d both been thinking the same thing. After breaking our stare, the corner of my eye caught sight of the ghost, looming directly over Carlisle, who sat at the end of the table with Esme to his left and Jasper to his right. I quickly took in my surroundings, becoming almost animal-like in the way I observed what was around me. It was then I noticed there was plenty of food set out on the table, but only Bella and I had plates.

Like I had said earlier: This isn’t gonna be awkward at all!

“Feel free to eat, dears,” Esme spoke to me and Bella. “Don’t worry about us.”

“S’all good.” I muttered picking up my fork and scooping some delicious-looking mashed potatoes. When I said they were good-looking, that was true…but, my god, they don’t taste that way! Vampires don’t smell or taste food the way humans do…Meaning they really can’t tell when their cooking sucks! Unless someone has the heart to tell them so…which I lack, regrettably. Stealing another glance at Bella after I swallowed, I noted she mimicked my look.

Quickly, I masked my distaste (no pun intended) to show a look of approval for the disgusting food. Looking over to Esme, she seemed ecstatic of it. Bella had done the same.

I heard someone politely clear their throat, and turned to look at Carlisle. “So, Emma-Kate,” He smiled, gorgeous by the way. “I’m fascinated to hear about you. When Edward called earlier, I thought he finally went off the deep end.”

Eager for and excuse not to eat, I replied, “Yeah, it does seem a bit crazy.”

“What are you exactly?” He quizzed.

I seized a moment of thought before answering. “Where I come from, we call ourselves Peace Keepers.” A nod from myself to my own words. “’Cause that’s what we do. Keep the peace between the species of the worlds.”

“Worlds?”

“Yeah,” The ghost moved slightly, now wandering across the room, my vision followed it. “I’m not quite sure what they are, per se. But I do know there’s…other places you can go, with otherworldly things.”

“What type of things?” A thoughtful look passed all of their faces, no matter how stony.

My eyes still on the ghost, “Probably exactly what you’re all thinking. Demons, angels…ghost and such.”

Edward attempted to follow my line of sight. He seemed bewildered upon finding I was starring at nothing but air. “Is something the matter, Emma?”

For a moment, I stopped looking at the ghost and instead looked at Edward. “No, why would their be?”

“You’re looking into…space.” He gave the impression that he chose his words carefully.

“Uh…well…about that…” I stammered, tilting my head down in embarrassment.

‘How do I tell vampires that there’s a ghost in their house?’ I was used to dealing with humans. They’re a lot more gullible; claim you’re a psychic and they’ll believe anything you say.

“You know how I said that I see dead people?”

“Yes, you said it very casually. It was actually quite disturbing.” Edward answered.

With an incredulous look to his blunt statement, I decided to reply, “Well there’s one right above your head. It’s going to eat you.” The last part was said with extreme sarcasm, hopefully they recognized that. Hopefully.

All eyes turned to the spot of air directly above Edward’s head. Of coarse they saw nothing. I saw that stupid, familiar blob of spirit-fog.

“Are you serious?” Alice whispered to me. The rest of them were very quiet too, like making the slightest sound might scare away a spirit.

“Why would I lie about that?” I questioned. “No joke, it’s right there. The dumb thing keeps following you guys like a puppy or something. Pissin’ the hell out of me.” I added, “Excuse my language.”

“Oh, it’s fine, dear.” Esme’s eyes didn’t leave the four inches above Edward’s head.

After another minute or two of everyone looking for a ghost, “No matter how hard you stare, you aren’t going to see it. Sorry, but it’s too weak.”

“But there’s plenty of recorded ghost sightings,” Jasper spoke for the first time since we sat. “How come we can’t see this one?”

“Like I said, it’s too weak. If the ghost were stronger, then you might catch a glimpse of it…but this one’s just…there. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a dog or a child. Doesn’t really know what death is. Probably also why it’s so reliant on you guys.”

“Makes sense…” Bella pondered.

“I could exorcize it if you want, that is.” I glanced at the ghost again. “But it won’t hurt anyone…heck you most likely won’t even know it’s there.”

“I think it’s fine where it is.” Esme told me. “If it’s not hurting anyone, what’s the point?”

The rest if them agreed.

A moment later, “Would it be alright if I could ask you a few questions?”

Carlisle nodded. “Of coarse, go right ahead.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha, Esme is maternal to ghost!

Anyway, next chapter has werewolves...I promise! I have it half typed already! I wanted to get Emma's character completely laid out before bringing in the love interest...>.>

And sorry for the long wait...I don't really know why, but it took me a while to type this one up...I sat in front of my com-putter for an hour to write the first sentence!

XXX
Ruby