Laws of Attraction

friendship

34 weeks – 8½ months

“Why is everything…pink?”

Martin Johnson rolls his eyes and shakes his head, almost as if he’s embarrassed. He elbows the man next to him, rather roughly, if Alex is honest, and gives him a look that clearly says, how about you explain it, and then sits back, leaning into the cushions.

“Well…I uh. I’m kind of really hoping you have a girl,” Zack Merrick explains, blushing lightly and rubbing at the back of his neck. “So I bought a lot of pink things...”

“No really?” Jack says, sarcasm lacing every word as he holds up a small pink frilly dress. “Never would have guessed.”

Alex smiles, takes the baby dress out of Jack’s hands and folds it up again to put in the gift box. He looks back at his friends, thankful that they’re sitting in his living room. It’s been months since he’s last seen them – they’ve been travelling. Zack’s a photographer and Martin just follows him wherever he goes. They’ve been together longer than Jack and Alex even have. Somehow, despite the fact that they’re separated from each other more often than not, the friendship between the four of them has remained as strong as ever.

“Anyway,” Martin says loudly, running a hand through his hair as he leans forward. “What have you two been up to lately?”

“Best Buy fired me,” Jack say with a shrug, “But I got a job at the Apple store in the mall. Not as good as what I had at Best Buy but. It’s something for now, at least.”

“What about school? Are you still going?”

“Yeah. Night classes. Once I get my degree it’ll be a lot easier to find a more permanent, well-paying job to support Alex and the baby.”

“Aww,” Martin smirks, looking over at Alex. “What a man you have. When is that baby due, anyway?”

“October 18th,” Jack informs him, “Next month. Will you guys be here?”

Zack nods enthusiastically, going off about how he would never miss the birth of his future niece (or nephew, Martin interjects) for anything and that he’s so excited about it and he plans on getting one of those big standup storks that people put on their front lawn that say “IT’S A GIRL!”. Jack just lets him talk, laces his fingers with Alex’s and catches his eye. He’s as grateful about keeping up this friendship as he is.