Laws of Attraction

family

“I think you’re wearing out the soles of your shoe, Jack.”

Jack manages a weak smile, but he continues his pacing. Alex was taken away from him nearly a full hour ago. He wasn’t allowed in the room due to ‘possible complications’ and he really just wants to know what’s going on. Is Alex okay? And the baby? What if they aren’t? What will Jack do with himself then?

“Dude,” Zack says, interrupting Jack’s train of thought once again, “Calm down. They’re both fine – they’re probably just making sure everything’s good to go before coming to get you. You’ll see them soon.”

He bites his lip, figures that Zack is probably right, and then goes and sits down in the chair beside him in the waiting room. He’s nervous – he’s going to be a dad. He’s going to have a baby to look out for and take care of and raise and support and he’s not sure if he’s ready. Sure, he’s acted like he is – but now that it’s come down to it, he isn’t so sure anymore. What if he’s a bad dad? What if-

“Stop thinking so hard, man,” Martin says, resting a hand on his back. He’s sitting on the other side of Jack, smiling encouragingly. “Everything’s going to be fine. You’ll be the best dad ever. Okay?”

It’s always amazed Jack how easily his two best friends have been able to just sort of know what he’s thinking. It’s so easy for them to read him and he appreciates that, because without them, he’s sure he’d go crazy.

“Did you and Alex come up with any names?” Zack asks.

Jack shakes his head, “I told him he could pick the name…I didn’t care.”

“Oh.”

Jack laughs at how obviously disappointed Zack is about not knowing what the name might be. He’s about to say something about how Alex wouldn’t dare name the baby something that he knows Zack won’t approve of, but he doesn’t have time, because there’s a doctor coming towards him. He hops up from his seat just as the doctor gets right in front of him and he has to remind himself that he needs to remain as calm as possible.

“Jack Barakat?” the doctor asks, reaching out and shaking Jack’s hand. “Nice meeting you. If you’ll follow me right down the hall, I can show you where your boyfriend is and you can meet your daughter.”

“Daughter?” Jack finds himself asking, a huge smile taking over his face. He can’t help himself. He has a daughter. A baby girl. He’s already wrapped around her finger and he hasn’t even met her yet. How it possible to fall in love with someone you haven’t even seen?

“She’s seven pounds and eight ounces, twenty inches long,” the doctor informs him as they walk and Jack is finding it more difficult to walk and he has to concentrate on not tripping over his own two feet. “Alex is doing well – he’s a little bit out of it due to the drugs but he should be awake when you get in there.”

“Thank you,” Jack finds himself saying when the doctor points towards the last door on the left. He’s not sure what the man says in response, because he’s already walking, anxious to see Alex and talk to him and meet their baby.

Inside the room, Alex is sitting up in the bed, looking tired and worn out as he talks to a nurse standing across the room. “Is she supposed to be wriggling around so much?” he asks, his grip tightening around the pink bundle in his arms, not noticing that Jack is even there yet. “She’s making me nervous…”

“Don’t worry, that’s perfectly normal,” the nurse laughs, snapping her folder shut and standing up straight. “Looks like you have a visitor.”

When Alex spots him, he smiles, “Hi Jack,” and Jack is by his side in two seconds, pulling the chair closer to the bed so he can sit as close as possible.

“So?” he asks, reaching out and pushing away the fabric of the pink blanket so he can see his daughter properly. She’s beautiful and perfect and every other word he can’t seem to think of right now. “How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” Alex admits, “But I’m good. You wanna know what I named her?” He grins, reaching out and taking Jack’s hand in his own free one. “Livia.”

“She’s gorgeous,” Jack breathes, leaning forward and planting his lips on Alex’s for a brief moment. “Like you.” And then he looks back at his daughter, who’s staring at Alex with wide eyes, and he realizes – he couldn’t ask for a more perfect family
♠ ♠ ♠
:)
check out my new chaptered fic - Happy The Hard Way. I'd love some more feedback on it c:
<33