Status: Complete

The Rebel's Apprentice

Chapter Eleven

It had been a perfect weekend with Ethan. We spent Saturday together in the wheat field. Sunday he came over again while my parents were out and I started teaching him piano. Before he left he invited me to a party the following evening. I was a little wary and he knew why. He promised not to make a repeat of last time. Said he'd stay with me and then take me home afterwards. He said he'd look after for real this time. He promised.
So I agreed to go to this party.

The hardest part was convincing my parents I was going over to Chloe's for the evening to practise for the debate competition on Friday. Of course I wasn't going to tell them I was really going to a party, and I certainly wasn't going to tell them I was going with a boy.
Mom and dad seemed to buy the whole practising thing. I got a little worried however when dad said he'd drive me to Chloe's. I couldn't object, so I smiled and said "that would be great."

"So how come you've taken to wearing combat boots and leather jackets?" dad asked on the way to Chloe's. "Where did you even get them?"

"I bought them," I lied. '"And this is fashion now. All the girls at school dress like this." I was hoping that Ethan's prediction was true and by the end of the week, all the girls in school would be following my lead. Wouldn't want dad to turn up to the competition on Friday and see that girls are wearing anything but combat boots and leather jackets.

"Right," dad nodded, not really approving but not about to object. We parked outside Chloe's and I opened the door. "Have a good time, when should I pick you up?" dad asked. I thought a moment.

"We got a lot of practising to do. Maybe half eleven?" Dad nodded and I got out the car. I waved at him but he didn't drive away until he knew I was safe in Chloe's house. I cursed under my breath at him as I rang her bell. Chloe opened the door, her eyes widening before her eyebrows knitting together in a frown.

"Alice, what are you-" I trapped her in my arms and hugged her tight.

"Hi, Chloe," I said loudly, hoping dad would hear and leave finally. "Play along," I told Chloe quietly. Her frowned deepened but she did as told. Whether she was now scared of me or whether she still felt some kind of loyalty towards me, I wasn't sure. But she let me in nonetheless. I peeked out the curtains as dad's car pulled away.

"Thanks, Chloe," I sighed in relief. "I owe you."

"Yes, you do. And the first thing you owe me is an explanation"' she folded her arms at me and eyed the little black dress I wore under the biker jacket and over the lacy tights.

"I do," I agreed. "I'm going to a party with Ethan. I couldn't tell my mom and dad obviously so I said I was coming to yours to practise for the competition."

Chloe shook her head. "You're walking on thin ice Alice. And now you're dragging me into it. I don't want to get into trouble because you want to do god know what with that trouble maker."

"You wont get in trouble. I'll be back before half eleven to get picked up. Please, Chloe," I said when she looked doubtful. "Please do this one thing for me. Please."

Chloe sighed. "You're lucky I'm so nice," she grumbled. "But if you're not back by half eleven when your dad comes back, I'm telling him the truth."

"No problem. That's totally fair. I wouldn't expect you to cover for me anyway." Chloe huffed and folded her arms. I saw lights outside. It was Ethan. I'd told him to pick me up here to cover our tracks.

"You best go," mumbled Chloe. I reached out and hugged her hard.

"I really do appreciate this Chloe. Thank you." She relaxed a little at the sincerity in my voice.
I left Chloe's and climbed into Ethan's car. He eyed me up and down but said nothing about how I looked.

"Ready for the best night of your life?" he smirked. I smiled back uncertainly and nodded. Ethan ignored that uncertainty of mine and put the car in gear.

***


When the car stopped we were most certainly on the wrong side of the tracks. Just being in this area of town scared me. I felt the relentless urge to lock my car door. I looked up at the dirty run-down apartment building.

"We're here," Ethan said, getting out the car. I did the same. He locked his car and put his hands in his jacket pockets. His biker jacket was a lot like the one he'd given me but newer. It didn't smell too smoky either.

"Ethan, what kind of party is this tonight?" I ask nervously as we entered the building and walked to the elevator that smelt suspiciously of urine.

"It's my friend Johnny's party," he said as the elevator doors opened.

"Your dealer, Johnny?" I asked in horror as the elevator doors sealed off any escape I could have hoped for.

Ethan smiled. "Hey you remember."

"Ethan are you deranged? What are you doing taking me to this party?" He looked a little confused.

"Cause you said you wanted to come."

"It's a god damn drugs party Ethan," I hissed through my teeth. "Why would you take me to a drugs party? Are you totally irresponsible?"
Ethan looked a little hurt but quickly covered it with a frown and a shrug.

"Well you clearly don't trust me to look after you."

"Of course I don't," I agreed. "It's a drugs party! You take drugs! I don't and I'm going to be left to fend for myself and fight off a load of drug induced drunks. I don't know if you care to notice, but I'm wearing my shortest dress here." Ethan turned on me in a second and pressed me against the wall of the elevator. The doors pinged open.

"I have no intention of taking drugs. And no intention of leaving you to fight off anybody," he sounded dangerous as he spoke quietly and slowly so I'd understand. "And yes, I did notice and you look fabulous." he let go of me and we stared each other out a moment. My heart was beating fast and my breathing accelerated. Ethan was so terrifying at times. The doors began to close but Ethan threw a hand out to stop them, not tearing his eyes from mine.

The doors opened fully again and he walked out. I followed him out the elevator wondering how one day we can lay peacefully in a field together, just enjoying the sound of each others breathing, and then another day he can have me scared and pressed against an elevator wall on the wrong side town, about to go to a drugs party.
I questioned whether Ethan was on drugs already. What could he have been thinking when he invited me to this?

We reached a door and Ethan didn't knock, he just opened it and went straight in. Straight away we were hit with the pumping drum and bass music and the strong smell of cannabis.
I reluctantly followed Ethan in and took in the rest of the grotty apartment. It was horrible and I wanted to leave right now. There were about a dozen people there, all high, so I knew I wouldn't lose Ethan in the crowd. Nonetheless I kept to his side as I followed him into the kitchen. There we found Johnny and Ethan smiled at him and started talking. Johnny was totally out of it. I noticed his Mohawk was now a vibrant red. I wrapped my arms around myself and looked around the strangely cold kitchen. I was anything but comfortable being there.
I looked back at Ethan to find him holding a drink my way. I looked down at it blankly.

"It'll help you unwind," Ethan told me. I sighed, not caring what it was, and took the drink.

"I remember her," croaked Johnny, squinting at me. "Cat woman." I tried an awkward smile. "She your girl?" Johnny asked, directing the question at Ethan as if I weren't there. Ethan seemed to fight for the right words. It was almost like he wanted to say yes but knew it wasn't true.

"No," he eventually said. "Not my girl. But she's important to me. So say away from her." He laughed, making it seem like a joke, but the look in his eyes said that it was anything but.

"Have some of this," offered Johnny, a joint held our way. I sucked in my breath, expecting Ethan to break his promise and accept the joint. He surprised me and Johnny both when he shook his head.

"No thanks, dude, can't stop too long anyway." Johnny frowned but didn't question it. He merely shrugged and put the joint to his lips, walking away. I looked up at Ethan as he looked down at me. He had a look in his eyes. A very sober look that said, 'see?' I smiled up at him and curled my arm through his and held onto him.

***


By quarter past ten, I still had a full glass in my hand. I just didn't feel comfortable getting drunk in a place like this. Ethan had noticed I wasn't drinking and so stopped as well. I could only assume he wanted to stay true to his promise. He'd only had half of his own drink before putting it down and forgetting about it.
Ethan and I were sat on a couple of boxes against the grimy chipped plaster wall, watching everyone destroy their braincells and dance around like they had none to begin with. The music was loud, so we had to talk even louder to hear each other over it.

"Why did you bring me here then?" I asked, turning to look at him. He looked down at me and shrugged. We were sat so close. I hadn't really noticed.

"My head was telling me earlier it was a good idea to introduce you to this side of life." I watched him a moment. That was what his head told him. I'm no rocket scientist, but when people say things like that, it was because their head and heart were in conflict.

"And what did your heart tell you?" I asked, eyes not leaving him for a moment. I barely seemed to register the music anymore. Ethan frowned, looking a little confused at his unspoken answer.

"I don't know. For some reason I feel like I should be protecting you from this sort of thing. Like you shouldn't witness it or even know that this sort of thing happens . . . but it's what you wanted, to be like this."

"I never wanted to be like this, Ethan," I corrected, looking at the junkies around us. "I was never going to take drugs. I'll get drunk with you any day," I smiled. "But I wont take drugs."

"So why wont you drink now?" he asked, smirking a little.

"Because I don't feel safe here," I answered honestly.

"Even with me here?"

I nodded. "Yes. Even though you're staying true to your word, I don't feel safe here, for either of us." Ethan watched me a moment. Something changed so slightly in his eyes I wasn't even sure I'd noticed it.

"Then we'll leave," he said, something a lot like realisation hitting his eyes and, though his face was composed, worried saturated his eyes. "I'll just use the bathroom." I nodded and watched him stand carefully and walk slowly to a door to our right. I frowned a little. Was he staggering?

I stood, ready to go when Ethan was and waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. I frowned in worry as I looked up at the bathroom door. I stepped over to it and tapped on the door.

"Ethan?" I asked. "Are you alright?" I heard guttural vomiting sounds and felt my jaw drop open. I tried the door and found it locked. I knocked again on the door, louder. "Ethan, let me in," I said. More vomiting noises. "Ethan." My voice was stern. "Open this door now." There was a pause and then I heard the door unlock. I opened the door and stepped in. I found Ethan sat on the floor by the toilet, looking very ill indeed. I shut the door behind me and locked it again. He looked worried about something. I crouched down before him and looked worriedly back at him.

"My god, Ethan. What's wrong?" I asked softly. 5 minutes ago he was fine. His eyes lifted to meet mine before they lowered again.

"I should have known better than to bring you here," he sighed. "Fuck it!" he slammed his fist into the cupboard door next to him, not caring about the dent it left. "What was I thinking?" His anger scared me a little and I swallowed the lump in my throat. "You didn't drink any of your drink right?" he strangely asked me suddenly. I shook my head quickly and Ethan relaxed a little. "Thank fuck," he sighed.

"Ethan, what's going on?" I panicked. He heard the rise in my voice and looked up at me.

He shrugged. "I got spiked," he almost laughed. I gasped. "Must have been Johnny. Probably spiked you too." Ethan looked dangerously angry then. "Fuck knows what he spiked you with. But no doubt what he slipped in my drink was enough to keep me out the way."

"Keep you out the way?" I stuttered, shaking my head nervously.

"I can't protect you like this," Ethan said quietly. "I noticed the effects when talking to you. I knew something wasn't right. I knew he'd given me something. I tried to vomit it all up but I think it's too late. Fuck knows what I'd be like if I drank it all."

"I can't believe he drugged you," I whispered, falling back against the cupboard in shock.

"Ha," Ethan scoffed. "I can. I told him to stay away from you. You look amazing tonight. That was all the invitation he needed to get me out the way." It terrified me. This idea of Ethan being drugged somewhere, helpless to protect me while who knows what happened to me. I wrapped my arms instinctively around myself. Suddenly I noticed how cold it was everywhere.
Ethan pulled himself up and leant over the toilet.

"What are you doing?" I trembled.

"Gotta try and get it all out of me," he answered gruffly before sticking two fingers down his throat. I cringed away from the sight. I had to hand it to him. I would never have the guts to make myself vomit. No pun intended.

"I want to leave," I whispered after Ethan slumped back against the wall. He looked up at me, eyes losing more and more focus by the second.
Panic surged through me. I was losing him. I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't be left to fend for myself and Ethan.
Heart beat accelerating to unnatural speeds, I gripped Ethan's hands tightly in my own. His eyes lifted to mine. They barely registered the desperate panic there.

"What do I do?" I questioned wildly. "Ethan, tell me what to do." he blinked slowly before struggling to stand. I helped him up.

"I'm getting you outta here," he mumbled, barely able to walk. He held his head and squeezed his eyes shut. 'fuck, Johnny. What have you done?'
I bit my lip worriedly and pushed the panic down inside me. It was time I stopped acting like the vulnerable little girl and took some responsibility. It was down to me. I had to get Ethan out. I had to keep him safe. It was my duty to protect him. And that's exactly what I intended to do.
I secured an arm around his back and gripped hold of his arm, steadying him at the door. I unlocked it and carefully and slowly lead Ethan out. I could see the front door just in front of me. If I could just get him out of here, it would be okay. I felt Ethan going. He threw a hand out and supported himself against the wall.

"Fuck, my head," he groaned.

"Ethan please. Keep going. We're all most out," I reasoned, desperation fighting for dominance in my voice.

"I can't." He shook his head violently.

"You can," I argued back. "And you will." I gripped his arms again and pushed him on. I could feel his feet dragging.
We were so close to the door. So close. In one heart beat we were in front of it. In the next I had it open. In the next we were down the hall. In the next the elevator doors opened. I bundled Ethan in and he slid to the floor.
I was in such shock of what Johnny had done to Ethan that it fanned the fire burning deep within me. If I had had any sense what so ever, then I would have jumped in the elevator and left that second. I pushed the button for the ground floor and then stepped out the elevator. Ethan frowned up at me before realising I wasn't coming with him.

"Alice!" he called as the doors slid shut. But the burning sensation inside me was too strong to ignore. I had to do this while I felt the courage to. I had to do this for me, for Ethan.
I walked back to the apartment and pushed the door open. Everyone was still dancing about, unaware of what I was about to do. I went into the kitchen and found Johnny. He looked up at me and smirked a dirty smirk. I glared harder at him. I marched up to him.

"Hey cat woman, how do you feel?"

"Perfectly sober thank you," I replied curtly. His smug expression faltered. "What did you give Ethan?" I asked calmly. Johnny smirked again, realising he had gotten to us. Admitting that Ethan was out of it was probably not the best move, but I was so riled up that protection didn't matter. Vengeance did.

"Where is he?" Johnny asked, looking over my shoulder.

"It doesn't matter where he is," I answered. "What have you done to him?" Johnny smirked again and suddenly I was painfully aware of what Johnny wanted to do to me and that I was wearing a little black dress that didn't amount to much at all. I felt disgusted. I hadn't dressed nice for that creep. It was for Ethan. "What have you done to him?" I shouted, fed up with his eyes trailing my body. He stepped closer and I held my ground.

"I just slipped you both a Roophie. One to get him out the way. One to make you fun," he shrugged.

"Fun?" I accused. "Well it doesn't seem like Ethan's having much fun at all."

"I don't give a fuck about Ethan." I threw a punch. It hit. Johnny staggered back and held his face.

"You're such a dick Johnny," I spat, holding my hand that now hurt like hell across the knuckles.

"There's still time to have fun," he slurred a little and I realised he was drunk as well as drugged.
Time. I had forgotten to keep check of the time.

"Fuck you."

"Ethan doesn't deserve a chick like you. He wouldn't know what to do with a chick like you." Johnny stepped closer still but I still stood my ground. "I on the other hand know exactly how girls like you should be treated." I raised an eyebrow expectantly and Johnny reached out and grabbed my arm. I snatched it back and pushed him. He tried to grab me again but I threw another punch. It missed. Johnny pushed me backward and I went head fist into the kitchen sink, leaving blood behind. I got back up instantly, fighting the slight dizziness, praying I didn't have a concussion. I charged at Johnny and he caught me. We fell to the floor and I punched him in the jaw, and then again.

This is for Ethan, I thought as I hit him again.
I staggered off of Johnny. He was holding his nose as blood spurted out. I think I may have broken his nose. While he was down, I seemed to snap back to reality. I'd made my point, surely I should have been running. Any moment Johnny would get up and attack me, drugged or not. I just wanted to get out of there.
I turned quickly and ran, unbelieving I'd just beat someone up. And a guy too, a guy on drugs. I must have been mental. I looked hurriedly over my shoulder as I waited for the elevator doors to open. I ran in and punched for ground floor. As the doors slid shut I saw Johnny stood in the doorway of his apartment, not perusing me, just giving me a dark look as blood dripped from his chin.
The only sound on the ride down was my own heavy breathing and heart hammering in my ears.

What was I doing here? Me, Alice Harper, at a drugs party with Ethan Kowalski, braking people's noses. This was insane.
The doors opened and I stepped out, looking down at Ethan on the entrance way floor, too out of it to even notice me. I wondered whether he'd remember all this in the morning.
I sighed and struggled to pull him to his feet. Supporting all his weight, I shuffled him out to his car. I dug through his pockets in search of his keys and found them in his jacket. I unlocked the car and slid him into the back seat. He was surely passed out now, and I was officially alone.

I climbed into the front seat and locked all the doors, feeling the closest thing to safe all night. I put the key in the ignition and started the engine. I didn't have a licence to drive, but there was no way I was sitting here till morning. Dad had once showed me the basics of driving. I knew what to do. Hands placed delicately on the steering wheel, I felt my eyes tear up. I buried my face into arms across the wheel as an overwhelming overflow of emotion drowned me.
This was the worst night of my life and Ethan wouldn't even know about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gosh. Drama, drama, drama.
Go Alice though. She is one tough cookie.
Hope you enjoy.

I'm quite excited for next week. The fun fair is coming to town and I love the fair. :D

Okie Smokie