Status: Complete

The Rebel's Apprentice

Chapter Twelve

Never more before now had I wanted to just sink into the crowd and be ignored by all. I didn't want to be here. I considered cutting class by myself and just running off somewhere, but I couldn't deny the fact that I was still shook up from the previous night. I felt scared and reasoned I'd be safer in numbers.
I searched through my locker, just busying myself. I felt like I had a big neon sigh above my head that read 'I got in a fight.' the cut on my forehead was covered by my thick fringe. The fringe was held firmly in place by my oversized grey beanie hat.
Ethan appeared at my side. He looked shit.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked, playing innocent. He frowned and dug his hands deeper into the pockets of his biker jacket. He ducked his head so half of it was hidden by his scarf.

"I dunno," he groaned. "I feel like shit. I woke up fully dressed. Don't remember anything." he looked a little worried.

"Sounds like you drank too much," I replied, not looking him in the eye. I wasn't that good at lying. I shut my locker and tossed my bag onto my shoulder.

"Are you cutting?" Ethan asked.

"No," I answered. I couldn't bare the thought of being trapped with Ethan, listening to him worry about his memory loss. What he didn't know, wouldn't hurt him. To protect him I had to keep this between me and me alone. If he broke Jordy's leg for slamming a door in my face, I didn't want to think about what he'd do to Johnny for trying to drug me, attack me and then throwing me into his sink, leaving a nasty gash across my forehead. I dreaded to think even more about what Johnny would do to Ethan. All he ever wanted to do was protect me. Now it's my turn to protect him.

Ethan nodded and let me leave for my first lesson. I was dreading this as I had it with Chloe. She had really proved herself last night. She had really been there for me when I needed her. But that didn't mean I wanted to answer all the questions she no doubt had lined up for me.
I had history and I knew I wouldn't be getting any work done.
I tried to ignore Chloe's questioning looks at me at first, but when she realised I wasn't going to talk willingly, she asked me verbally.

"What? You're not even going to explain yourself?" she accused in a half-whispered. I stayed quiet, not knowing what to say. "Don't you give me the silent treatment, Alice Harper. I helped you out big time last night, the very least you owe me is an explanation. You can't just show up at my house at eleven O'clock at night, covered in blood and tears with Ethan Kowalski passed out in a car and not give me an explanation!"

"Alright, fine. I'll tell you." I looked about the class room. A few students over heard Chloe's not so quiet whisper. Questioning looks played on their faces. I could almost hear the accusations and rumours stirring in their heads. "But not now," I finished. Chloe looked about and saw the few people around us trying to pretend they weren't listening in. "When?" she asked.

"After class. I promise I'll tell you." Chloe relaxed, pleased I was going to be honest with her. Pleased she was back in the messed up little loop that was my life.

"Are you okay though?" Chloe then asked. I looked up at her and met the genuine worry in her eyes. I felt my eyes tear up again. "Oh Alice," she sighed, gripping my hand. "What are you doing? Why are you doing this to yourself? I'm so frightened for you. You know what kind of boy Ethan Kowalski is. I may not look like much, but if I find he did that to you, I'll make a scene."

I shook my head. "He didn't," I lowered my eyes. "Someone else did."

"Ethan didn't stop them then, I see," Chloe scoffed.

"He couldn't," I protested in a harsh whisper. "Please Chloe, can we talk about this after class?"

"Fine," sighed Chloe. I ignored all the looks I got for the rest of the lesson. This was rumour starters paradise. I could only hope the rumours wouldn't be too harsh and that Ethan wouldn't pay attention to them.

***


I had miraculously somehow convinced Chloe to cut the next lesson with me so we could talk. She wanted us to go to Mr Barry's office so we could talk about it but I said that Mr Barry would listen in and this wasn't something I wanted anyone to know about.
So much for keeping it to myself.
Around the back of the school, where I normally go with Zach, I told Chloe my story. Predictably, she gasped when I told her about the drugs party. Gasped when I told her Ethan got spiked. Gasped when I told her I got spiked but luckily didn't drink it. Gasped when I said Ethan passed out. And gasped when I said I went back to confront Johnny.

"What were you thinking" she gabbled. "Do you have a death wish or something?"

"I was so angry with what he did to Ethan. What he tried to do that to me." I shuddered as I pictured what could have happened in my head. The images were far too graphic, far too real.

Ethan and I would have been sat on those boxes talking. Then out of nowhere we'd feel dizzy and sick. We'd lose the ability to walk and talk. I'd panic and so would Ethan. He'd be desperate to keep his promise but would be helpless to protect me. He'd watch as Johnny would drag me away from him, unable to do anything but watch. He'd hear my cries, hear my screams, my pleas, my pain. But he wouldn't have being able to do anything.
I buried my face in my hands. This was all too real for me. I longed so badly for Ethan to hold me. Tell me I was safe and everything would be okay.

"What did he do to you?" Chloe asked, worry still etched into her face. "Did he do that to you?" she pointed at my head.

I nodded. "But I broke his nose so I think we're even." Chloe gasped again.

"How does Ethan feel about this?" she asked after a pregnant pause.

"He doesn't know. Can't remember cause of the drugs and I want to keep it that way."

"But what if Johnny comes back for you?"

"He wont," I said, knowing deep down that this was my biggest fear. Despite the trouble is was in, I still felt the need to reassure Chloe. Protect her from the truth.
The truth that Johnny was a psycho and I was currently scared for my safety.

"What are you going to do now?" Chloe asked quietly. I wiped my nose that was running from the cold and stood up, straightening my leather jacket.

"Carry on," I answered honestly. "There's nothing else I can do but carry on like normal."

***


By lunch time that same day, the rumours had escalated into mass gossip. It was now common knowledge that Ethan Kowalski got drunk and beat me up, and that I fought him off and locked him in the car. It was what I was afraid of. The finger being pointed at him. My answer was the same every time I got questioned about it. 'I don't know what you're talking about.' Everyone now knew that I was apart of Ethan's crowd and everyone knew what they were capable of. Some thought I deserved it for getting involved with them. Some thought I may have antagonised Ethan. Some thought he was just the bad guy straight up and beat me to a pulp. But they only had to look at me to see I hadn't been harmed. No one could see the cut on my head. There was no proof Ethan had done anything to me at all.

I ignored the stares and whispers around me as I packed my bag at my locker. Zach appeared beside me, a worried look on his face.

"What's been going on. Ethan's swears he never hurt you but the entire school says different."

"Zach," I sighed. "Do I look hurt?" He looked me up and down, checking.

"No, but if I find out he has hurt you, I'll kick his fucking head in." This attracted the curious stares of others around us. I glanced about.

"Zach, please. Ethan hasn't done anything to me. It's just a vicious rumour."

"Funny that the rumours start on the one day Ethan loses his memory. You better not be lying to protect him." In a sick kind of way, I liked how willing Zach was to beat up Ethan. Ethan, his best friend of four years, who he'd beat up for me, who he'd only know for about three weeks.
But being beaten up was exactly what I was protecting Ethan against.

"I'm not, I swear." I rolled my eyes. "Please, just trust me Zach." Zach sighed and nodded. I wish I had somewhere to be so I wouldn't have to face all the questions and stares. "I have to go. There's a meeting for the debate team," I lied. I was getting good at lying now, believable. Zach nodded again and let me walk away. Eyes followed me as I held my head high. I turned a corner and disappeared into an open door that quickly shut behind me. I staggered and looked up at whoever had yanked me into the boys room.

"What are you doing in here, Ethan?' I asked nervously, watching him pace back and forth. His angry eyes turned on me and for a second I almost believed the rumours.

"Why is the whole school telling me I beat you up?" he questioned.

I shrugged weakly. "I don't know. It's just a rumour."

"They got it from somewhere. People are saying they heard you talking about it with Chloe Chapel."
I shook my head, not knowing what to say. I looked away from Ethan and he was on me instantly, pressing me against the tiled wall.

"Did you start this?" he accused. I glared and tried to push him off of me but he held fast to my arms.

"Why would I start this?" I spat back. Ethan let go and stormed away from me.

"Cause . . ." he began angrily. He sighed and leant against the sinks. "Cause I don't know whether it's true or not," he finished quietly. And then I realised, he wasn't mad at me. He was mad at himself for possibly hurting me. I stepped forward to Ethan and stood before him. He wouldn't look at me. I reached out and touched his face.

"Look at me," I told him, like he'd told me many times. He did as told. "You never hurt me. You wouldn't." I spoke so quietly, scared I'd shattered the atmosphere around us. He sighed and touched the hand at his face.

"Why can't I remember?" he asked, looking a little scared. I bit my lip and lowered my eyes.

"You don't need to remember." I told him. He frowned at my words. "It's taken care of. I sorted it all out."
Ethan shook his head, his messy dark hair dancing to the movement.

"Sorted out what?" he asked quietly also. I didn't answer. His eyes lifted to my head, suspiciously covered by more hair than usual, plus a hat. I never wore hats.
Ethan pulled the beanie from my head and I let him. He scooped away my hair and gazed at the gash across the side of my forehead. He licked his lips.

"Did I-"

"You did nothing," I cut in.

"Clearly," he stated, his thumb gently brushing the cut. I tried not to wince. It was still sore. "Where was I when you were getting your ass kicked?"

"I didn't get my ass kicked thank you very much," I turned away from Ethan and looked in the mirror, fixing my hair back into place and putting my hat back on. "For your information, I broke his nose."

"Who's?" Ethan enquired, eyes turning scarily dark. "Who hurt you? And why can't I remember them hurting you? Why didn't I stop them?"

"I'm not having this conversation with you Ethan."

"Why?" he growled with utter frustration.

"Remember Jordy Dawson?"

"You can't expect me to let this fucker get away with cutting your head open? Tell me who it was," he barked.

"No," I protested, holding my ground strongly, the way I did to Johnny. This scenario was so similar. I felt like I was there again.

"Why?" Ethan asked. "Why are you protecting them?"

"Ethan, you moron! I'm not protecting them, I'm protecting you!" he frowned at me and I elaborated. "Did you ever think that I don't want you to run off and get into fights because of me? Did you never think that maybe it scares me? And that the guy who did this to me is a nut case? I don't want him to hurt you. I wont let him hurt you, so I'm not going to tell you anything, okay?" While Ethan was in a daze, I took the opportunity to leave, shutting the door behind me.

***


I knew I was in for a lecture when Mr Barry summoned me to his office. I sighed and took advantage of the newer, padded seats in his office. A damn sight better than those plastic things.
Mr Barry's eyes surveyed me with worry. He leant forward over his desk, hands clasped together.

"Alice, as the school counsellor," he began. I reframed from rolling my eyes. "I feel the need to ask you, is everything okay?"

"Of course, Mr Barry," I answered calmly. "Why wouldn't they be?" The line across his forehead deepened.

"It has come to the staffs attention that rumours have been circulating the school." He raised his eyebrows at me, expecting an honest answer from me. "Rumours involving Ethan Kowalski."

"And I assure you, Mr Barry, that the rumours are nothing but that . . . rumours." Mr Barry sighed and leant back in to his leather chair.

"I can't make you talk to me or open up, Alice. But I'd like to think that if you had a problem, you'd come to me for help."

"But I didn't come here for help," I told him, just as calmly as before. "You called me here. I have no problem. If I did, I'd come to you." I was officially an expert liar.
Mr Barry relaxed, knowing I was a good and honest girl. Ha!
He didn't press the matter further, taking the rumours as what they truly were.

As I walked through the corridors, I could still feel the eyes of others in the back of my head. I spotted Ethan down the hall and decided to clear his name. I smiled and walked up behind him, knowing everyone was watching. I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around. He looked a little surprised to see me and even more surprised when I hooked my arms around him and hugged him,

"What are you doing?" he asked as he held me back.

"Clearing your name," I answered, standing on my tip-toes so my arms would loop around his neck. "No one would possibly think you hurt me while I'm so willing to hug you." A smile slid onto Ethan handsome face as he realised this. His arms slid around my petite waist and he held me tight, head lowered onto my shoulder.

"You're so clever," he whispered into my ear.

"You're welcome," I answered, pulling away only to find Ethan's arms still enclosing me. I looked up at him, wondering why he wasn't letting go of me. He smirked at me and I began to worry. I knew that smirk.

"Lets give them something more interesting to talk about," he suggested, not giving me a say in the matter. Before I could even question him, Ethan's lips collided into mine and I found myself helpless to stop it.
To say the whole corridor went silent would be an understatement.
♠ ♠ ♠
Today is a historical day for Britain. Prince William and Kate, our future King and Queen, got married, as I'm sure you all know. I have never been one to be patriotic, but watching history in the making made me proud to say I'd witnessed it and proud to be English.

Funny how you reach a certain age and all of a sudden this stuff matters. Before I turned 18 I wasn't interested in politics either, but now I'm a psycho voter, hell-bent on getting my say.

Haha. I hope the royal family have a right good piss up tonight. Go on Queeny, get that gin down ya. ;)

Anyway, thank you to all my readers, commenters and subscribers. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Okie Smokie