Status: Complete

The Rebel's Apprentice

Chapter Thirteen

As Ethan's faux girlfriend, it was my duty to go back to his house. Apparently his mom had been asking about me and why I hadn't been over in a while. Ethan seemed to always have his arm around me now. Whether it was it's usual spot across my shoulders or the new and strange hold around my waist, we still played up to this 'boyfriend-girlfriend' lie Ethan had created several weeks back.

"We're officially known now as the cutest couple at school," Ethan told his mom with a teasing glance my way. After he forced a kiss on me in the corridor at school the previous day, we had been nothing but the hottest topic along the grape vine. I later protested to Ethan, receiving a laugh and nothing else.

When upstairs and away from the grinning eyes of Ethan's mom, I finally let my smile slip. I sat on the edge of Ethan's bed, on my hands just from a lack of having anywhere better to put them. Ethan was lying on his bed behind me. I could feel his eyes burning into my back.
Just then I felt his hands on my shoulders, pulling me down, my head resting in his lap. He slipped the beanie from my head and his fingers brushed my fringe from my forehead. He just gazed at my head as he gently ran his thumb along the cut.

"Who?" he finally asked.

I sighed. "Ethan . ." I sat up and he did the same.

"I don't get why you wont tell me. Why do you think I can't take this dick. You know I can. I broke Jordy's leg," he smirked at the last part. I frowned and slapped his arm.

"Ow, what was that for?" he frowned back.

"Breaking Jordy's leg isn't funny, Ethan. I never asked you to-"

"But I did," he cut in. "And I think the fact that I did it, for you, regardless of whether you wanted me to or not just proves that-" Ethan stopped himself, clearly finding something in his words he wasn't willing to admit.

"Proves that?" I pushed quietly, desperate to hear the rest of that sentence. Ethan frowned and shook his head.

"Nothing." I felt my shoulders sag and didn't try to hide it. "Look," Ethan began. "If you don't tell me who did that to you I'll-"

"You'll what?" I tested, narrowing my eyes.

"I'll get the information by force," he told me, eyes narrowed also.

I laughed. "Force, right. From the guy who doesn't hurt girls?"

"Who said anything about hurting you, babe?" he smirked wickedly and grabbed me, holding me to his chest and pinning my arms to my side. "I merely intend to tickle it out of you," said his voice in my ear, that devilish grin floating in his voice.

I gasped. "Ethan, don't!"

"Then tell me," he offered casually. I squirmed in his tight grip but there's no breaking Ethan's grip. I knew that by now. "Tell me," he said again.

"No!" Ethan sighed at my rejection and began tickling. It was hell, but I kept telling myself it wouldn't go on forever, though it sure felt like it. He'd tire out and stop at some point, but that didn't stop me from trying to push him away from me.

"Ethan!" I gasped between laughs. "Ge'roff!" Ethan gave a little laugh of his own and asked if I was willing talk. I shook my head and he tickled me harder. I squirmed and we fell back into a laying position. I twisted in his arms and, arms now free, tickled him back. He stopped tickling me to stop my busy hands and the relief was immense, I almost sighed.
He grabbed my hands and we fell still.

"Got you," he teased. "Nothing you can do now."
"Neither can you," I informed him with a smirk I'd adopted from him. "You can't tickle me now unless get tickled yourself." Ethan looked down at me, my head just off his pillow where his rested. He pouted lightly as he thought and, on cue, I melted inside.

"Truce?" I asked before he got any more bright ideas. Ethan sighed and nodded. We both slowly withdrew our hands and realised we were lying together on his bed, staring at each other.
Awkward.
I sat up and Ethan rolled onto his back, hands under his head.

"I will find out though," he warned me, his tone serious.

I nodded. "I don't doubt it." I looked away from him, carefully brushing my fringe back over my forehead. I didn't want it on view, agitating Ethan. I glanced at where Ethan leant his guitar against the wall. It wasn't there. I looked around the room, searching for it. It was propped against his desk.

"You're playing guitar again?" I asked, looking over my shoulder at Ethan. He was looking at the guitar also, a thoughtful expression on his face. He gave a light shrug.

"That's great," I enthused. "Play anything good?" Ethan sat up.

"Not yet. Still learning to play something. I'll show you when it's done." I nodded.

"Y'know, precious?" -that was a new one- "I was just thinking . . . when can I meet your parents?" my jaw dropped a couple centimetres. He couldn't. He just couldn't meet them.

"Um, why do you want to?" I asked.

"Cause, as your fake boyfriend, I think it's time they discovered that their little girl ain't little anymore."

"Y'mean . ?" I uttered in horror.

Ethan nodded. "Yep. Daddy needs to meet the boyfriend."

I could do nothing but go along with anything he said. If I had said no, chances were, he'd turn up at mine anyway uninvited. Not a good start. So that evening at dinner I asked if I could have a friend round for dinner the following evening. They said yes of course, but I asked at the end of the meal so they had little time to question me who I'd be inviting to dinner.
I was terrified, and that was putting it lightly. What exactly would mum and dad make of Ethan? He was a bad kid. End of.
I just prayed to god that dad hadn't met Ethan before. Dad being a cop and Ethan being a menace to society, wasn't a winning combination.
Could you really blame me for being terrified?

I'd bitten all my nails till my fingers were sore. I'd fiddled with the hem of my skirt until it was creased. I stared at the front door, dreading the moment Ethan knocked on it. I took a deep breath. It was pointless. I just had to accept what was about to come. And the fact that whatever followed, whatever outcome, there was no way I couldn't side with Ethan. I cared about him. I truly did. Even though I was a fake girlfriend-slash-sister figure to him, I still felt this unexplainable fondness towards him. I knew however much my parents hated him, I would stand by him always.
I jumped out my skin when the knock on the door sounded. I hadn't even heard his car.
I scuttled to the door and opened it timidly. Ethan was dressed in simple dark, straight leg jeans that tucked into his boots, and his usual white v-neck and biker jacket. He had made an effort, however, with his hair, like he said he would. It was combed and tidier. I kind of missed it being messy. He smiled a sweet smile at me and somehow all my anxiety drained away, cause I knew now he was here, I was safe. I was always going to be safe. I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around him without even thinking. He didn't smell of smoke for once. He chuckled and hugged me back. I felt his chuckle rumble in his chest. It was comforting. I'd fallen in love with Ethan's voice. Deep yet not gruff. Soft yet not sappy. It was the perfect balance of everything a man's voice needed to be.

"Pleased to see you too, sugar." I could hear the smile through his voice. When I didn't let go, he then sounded concerned. "Is everything alright?" I let go of him and stepped back.

"Fine," I answered, a little flustered. Ethan raised his eyebrows at me in a tell-the-truth kind of way. "My dad's a cop," I whispered.

Ethan bit his lip, stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets. "What's your surname?" he asked.

"Harper," I said looking over my shoulder to make sure no one was about. Ethan's eyes were staring into space, narrowed a little from thought. He shook his head and looked back at me.

"Don't ever remember having a run in with an officer Harper. Should be good to go." He went to step in but I put my hand on his chest, preventing him. He looked down at my worried expression and rolled his eyes. "I'll be good, pumpkin, I swear. Best behaviour. Look," he pointed at his hair. "I even combed it for you."

I shrugged. "I like it better messy."
Ethan smiled that smile that always made my stomach do back flips and stepped into my house. I shut the door behind him and mom and dad appeared from the kitchen. My dad's shoulders tensed at the sight of a boy, especially one as rough cut as Ethan. Mom pushed on her best hostess smile and held out her hand.

"Hello there," she said. Ethan took her hand and shook it. "I don't believe we've ever met you before." mom eyed me in a why-didn't-you-warn-me look she often gave.

"No, we haven't. I'm Ethan," he smiled politely. Good start. He held out his hand to dad who stiffly took it and shook it. "Nice to meet you Mr and Mrs Harper." manners? I was impressed now.
Beth bounded into the room and smiled at Ethan. She was only 8. I don't know why mom and dad waited 8 years before they had her, but she was a lot younger than me, so I had to be the positive role model to her. I'm quite sure bringing boys home wasn't what dad had in mind.

Beth stopped in front of Ethan and looked up at him. "I'm Beth, who are you?" Ethan grinned and crouched to her level.

"Nice to meet you Beth. I'm Ethan." they had a quick shake of hands. I saw the way Ethan looked at Beth and smiled. He'd told me he always wanted a younger sibling. I knew he'd just love Beth.

"Are you Alice's boyfriend?" she asked, tilting her head like a curious puppy. Ethan stood and dad laughed at the ludicrous assumption. Ethan and I both looked at dad. Mom elbowed dad in the rips and he stopped and looked at us and the arm Ethan now had around me.

"Really?" dad asked me. "This guy?"

"Dad!" I hissed. "Who are you to be prejudice? You're a cop. You're not allowed to be."

Dad rolled his eyes. "Just remember you have an example to set for your sister." dad warned me in a hushed tone, but seeing Ethan was stood right next to me, he heard anyway. Dad walked away and mom smiled apologetically before hurrying after him, hopefully to scold him for his rude behaviour. I groaned and put my face in my hands.

"I'm so sorry about dad," I said through my hands. I felt Ethan separate my face from my hands and I looked up at his warm smile.

"It's nothing I can't handle, cupcake," he told me softly. I nodded and flashed a weak smile.
I didn't dare take Ethan up to my room. Instead we sat in the living room and talked. Eventually mom joined us, followed shortly by a scorned looking dad. I smiled quickly at mom who smiled back. I was grateful that she was giving me the benefit of the doubt, I just hoped Ethan didn't screw this one up.

"Why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself Ethan?" mom suggested. "I can't believe Alice got a boyfriend and didn't tell us," she laughed, making light of something I would get hell for later.

Ethan shrugged. "Um, what would you like to know?" he seemed genuinely confused that she actually wanted to get to know him.

"Anything," she encouraged, with a winning smile.

"Well, I recently turned 17. I have a car," he scratched his face as he awkwardly shared his life, trying to think of something interesting to say. "I go to school with Alice, obviously, and that's where we met."

"How did you meet?" mom asked. She did all the talking. Dad just observed.
I looked up at Ethan. How did we meet that didn't involve me turning to him in an identity crisis? Meeting him because I wanted to be rebellious like him? Because I hated who I was?
Ethan sensed my apprehension to answer so he did it for him.

"We just bumped into each other, I guess. Alice was this real shy kid at school and some guy was giving her jip so I took care of it for her. Since then I've always looked out for her and we just got close."

"Took care of it how?" dad asked then, leaning forward. Ethan looked up at him.

"I told them to stop," he answered simply. There was something almost brave how Ethan could so easily lie to my dad's face and look so calm about it. Nobody lied to my dad.

"And they just . . stopped?" dad asked, unconvinced. Ethan nodded. "So why are they so scared of you?" he then asked.

Ethan laughed. "If you pretend to be scary, people think you are. Fear is the only way to get through to these guys. I couldn't let them just treat her that way, now could I?" he asked back cleverly, testing my dad to speak otherwise. Dad said nothing and leant back. I wondered if what Ethan had said was true. If it was his 'be sure of yourself and then others will be sure of you too' rule. He was only threatening to others because he had convinced himself that he was a threat.
After that little interrogation, dad didn't question Ethan again. Mom eventually found out that Ethan came from a broken home with a dick head step dad and immediately got the sympathy vote from my mom. I had to hand it to him. He really knew how to play the old heartstrings.
To my utter surprise, the evening went great. Dad hadn't totally warmed to Ethan, but he had certainly won the heart of my mom with his charm and wit.
Later that evening Mom commented on what a good catch he was. Dad commented on how long his hair was. Anything past the ears was too long for dad. I just shrugged and said I liked it.
It made me proud to be his girlfriend, even if it only was pretend.

The next time I saw Ethan was at school. Things felt different with us. Easier. He never pressured me to do anything. He didn't really refer to me as his apprentice anymore, though I suppose I still was. and he always had his arm around me, rather than Cookie. Don't think I failed to notice all the bitter looks she shot me. I even started to notice the subtle little changes in Ethan. He didn't smoke as much or swear after every word. He smiled more. He was playing his guitar daily. I think he even stopped doing drugs. These were the effects I never thought I'd have on Ethan Kowalski.
I knew things were going too well for me. I knew something would crop up and mess up everything that was right.
My fears were only confirmed when Cookie got this crazy idea in her head that lunch time. We were sat under the bleachers, Ethan and I relaxing in the sun on the football field just out from the bleachers. He was just telling me what a great time he had at mine and how cute Beth was. He said he wanted one and I laughed.
We were lying back, propped up by our elbows as we watched the basketball team train in the distance.

"I wonder how they'll do this term without Jordy?" I mused.

"Pfft," Ethan rolled his eyes. "Who cares?"

"Don't break anymore legs yeah?" I looked up at him, the sun in my eyes.

Ethan smirked. "I'll break as many legs as I want," he teased.

"Whatever, just don't come back to me and say you did it for me. I feel guilty enough for Jordy," I laughed.

"He deserved it," Ethan shrugged.

"Y'know, they know it was you, so why don't they just gang up on you and beat you up?"

"Nah," Ethan dismissed. "They must know that I'll set you on 'em and you'll start breaking noses." That shut me up. "Speaking of which," Ethan turned to face me. "I think it's time for another round of 'tell me'." I gasped and tried to crawl away but of course Ethan grabbed me and began again with the tickling. "Tell me," he smiled. I could hardly tell him through all the laughing.

"Get a room already!" shouted Scott with a smirk. Ethan stopped and brushed the hair from his eyes and looked up at Scott, still leant over me. I looked up at Scott also, though, on my back, he was upside down.

"What'd you fucking call me?" Ethan smiled back.

"I called you a dip shit, now stop harassing Alice. She used to be cool before you infected her with all your germs"' he was talking about our kiss. I think that piece of gossip spread faster than the attack one.

"You're just jealous cause you want my germs," Ethan jeered back. Scott flipped Ethan off and he crawled off of me. "To be continued," he told me. "I still want a name."
That's when Cookie showed up and suggested something that would ruin everything for me.
"I have the sickest idea ever." we all looked at her expectantly. She smirked and then told us her plan. I felt my stomach drop and looked up to find a smile tear at Ethan's lips.
"We're going to break into the school."
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, thank you to everyone who reads, comments and subscribes. Makes all this worth it. Cheers all.

Okie Smokie