Status: Complete

The Rebel's Apprentice

Chapter Eight

I took the weekend to recover from the hardest, most tiring week I had ever experienced. A week with that lot really saps you of all your energy.
I was so glad Ethan never appeared at my bedroom window. I don't think I would have had the strength to do whatever the hell he would have had planned for me.

Secretly pleased by his absence, I spent the weekend sat in my room, listening to the new CDs I bought, pulling Ethan's leather jacket tighter around myself. It held a smell of really old leather and cigarettes so thick I didn't think the smell would ever leave.
As much as I disapproved of Ethan smoking, that constant faint smell of nicotine on him was his smell. I'd gotten used to it.
All the times he puts his arm around my shoulders, I get that smell of cigarettes, and I'd grown accustomed to it. He wouldn't smell right without it now.

I rested up for those two days, not leaving the house and rarely leaving my own bedroom, so when Monday morning came around I was ready for whatever would be thrown at me.

However when I approached the bleachers, still in Ethan's jacket and boots, I noticed Ethan wasn't there. The others were though, with Cookie talking a hundred miles a minute to them. They looked like they were struggling to keep up.
She was smiling like she had the best idea ever, however I never heard it. As soon as I got in earshot, Cookie stopped talking and looked away. Zach and Scott looked a little confused and irritated by her abrupt stop, but shrugged and figured they didn't care enough to question it.
Cookie glanced at me and found her eyes lingering on the biker jacket and combat boots that she so clearly recognised as Ethan's. She gave me the dirtiest look ever conjured up by mankind and I simply looked away, annoying her more.
She didn't continue her conversation.

***


I noticed this happen a few times during the week. Cookie would be chatting away to Zach and Scott and whenever I turned up she'd stop. It was making me paranoid.
Though Cookie probably never even ever gave me a second thought, it felt like she was talking about me.

This never happened when I showed up with Ethan however, only when I appeared on my own and when Ethan wasn't around. Cookie had a secret. A secret I reckon Ethan doesn't know about either.

***


So Friday night rolled round and there was nothing really interesting to report. Except that it was Halloween and I was sat alone in my darkening room, trying to read, straining my eyes as the light from my window grew dimmer. It had been Ethan's birthday several days before and he'd done nothing to celebrate it. I wondered if he ever celebrated birthdays. He'd gotten his car however.
But tonight was Halloween and I'd give it till seven O'clock before the kids start knocking for candy.

It was dusk and the street lights had turned themselves on when I heard a tapping on my window. I glanced up from my page and dropped the book from shock. I held back the scream that scratched at the back of my throat as I stared at the strange ghoul creature at my widow. I watched as it removed it's face, revealing someone far more familiar. I sighed in relief as Ethan laughed at me behind the glass. I went over to my window and opened it, Ethan's laughter becoming louder.

"You shouldda seen your face, pumpkin." I laughed a little at his ironic nickname for me. Probably chosen purposely for this day.
Ethan hoisted himself into my room and stood in front of me. Laughter now gone, with his arms folded. He was wrapped up in white bandages. He was obviously a mummy this Halloween.
I wondered why he was here and not terrorising the neighbourhood.
I would have asked him too, had he not spoken first.

"What the hell do you think you are playing at?" he asked in an accusing tone.

"Um," I stuttered, confused as all my confidence shrank away. "What do you mean?" I asked timidly.

He glared at me. "What do you mean, what do I mean?" he snapped. "I mean the fact that I'm currently having a birthday-slash-Halloween party and you didn't bother to turn up." he continued to glare at me as my mouth hung open.

"What?" I gasped after a moments delay.

"Why the fuck ain't you at my party, toots?"

"I didn't know you were having one" I answered desperately, my eyes wide in shock. How come no one told me about this?

"No," he agreed. "Neither did I until I walked through the door and everyone shouted 'surprise!'" I gaped at him, feeling really hurt and let down. It was a surprise party. They threw him a god damn surprise part and didn't invite me.
I sighed and looked at my feet.

"So imagine my annoyance when I find my best and only student didn't come," he said.

"I wasn't invited," I mumbled.

"Huh?" Ethan frowned, not hearing me. I looked up and spoke louder.

"I wasn't invited. No one told me about the party." he frowned still, not totally understanding how I could have missed that bit of news.

"Cookie said she invited you but you didn't wanna come."

"Of course she'd say that Ethan," I said in exasperation. "She hates me." Ethan thought for a bit before remembering that Cookie does in fact hate my guts.

"That sneaky bitch," he said to himself. "She planned all this and didn't even tell you?"

I shrugged. "It's okay. I've never been invited to a big party anyway, so it's not like I'm not used to the disappointment." Ethan glared at me again.

"Where the fuck's your self esteem? No student of mine will talk shit about herself. Find a costume. You're coming to my party." I sighed. There was no use in objecting any more. It got me nowhere.
Ethan put his mask back on and stood by the window.
I frowned at the mask of Frankenstein's monster and he noticed.

"I couldn't decide what to be so I dressed as both." he answered, his voice muffled by the green plastic mask. I smiled and felt around under my bed for the Halloween box.

***


So I never told my mom or dad I was going to a party round Ethan's. I told them I was going to Chloe's. no boys at all. They seemed pretty okay with it, so long as I was back by eleven.
It was 9 O'clock now. That didn't give me long to have a good time at all. I felt cheated out of a good night. Now all I'm going to get is about an hour of trying to make awkward conversation to drunk teens.
I wont be able to drink myself, of course. Not when I'd need to be home so soon.
I was actually a little worried I wouldn't be able to get home in time.

Ethan noticed my slight panic as we walked together. He hadn't driven, thankfully. I wasn't sure how much he'd drunk, but he'd no doubt had a couple, at least.

"Look, I know what you're worried about, but don't worry about it. I'll get you home in time, I promise. Now relax yeah? Try to have a good time." I nodded and looked up after hearing loud music and drunken shouts in the distance, and noticed we weren't on Ethan's street.

"Hey. Where are we?" I frowned as I observed the pumping house on the street.

"Zach's," Ethan shrugged.

"Why are we here?"

"Cause this is where my party is," he sighed. He hated my questions. But I couldn't help being curious.
Besides, isn't that what students do?

"Why isn't it at your house?" I asked, looking at Ethan before looking at the brightly lit house as we got nearer.

Ethan laughed. "Do you seriously think my mom would let Cookie throw a party for me in my house?"

"And Zach's parents don't mind?" I continued.

"Zach's parents don't know," he stated. My eyes widened a little. A drunken party without parent supervision? This could only mean trouble.

"Where are his parents?" Ethan rolled his eyes at my constant questions.

"Apparently it's their anniversary weekend," he smirked, raising his eyebrows at me.
Oh . . .

"What happens if-"

"Muffin, please," Ethan sighed. "Will you just relax? Unwind a little, fuck."
I sighed in defeat and kept my trap shut.
We walked up the lawn where a few kids were sprawled out, unconscious.
Ethan smirked as we entered the house, totally in his element.
Loud music filled my ears. It was so loud. Too loud. It was slightly disorientating.
I kept close to Ethan's side like bees on honey. I could easily have gotten lost in the crowd of people.
As we passed by, a few drunks would slap Ethan on the back or beam at him and say "here he is."
It made me feel a little better to know that Ethan had left his own party to drag me down here.

"Ethan!" cheered Scott as he staggered over. He was dressed like Dracula. "Buddy." he gave him a hug and Ethan laughed. Scott pushed a beer into Ethan's hands and looked at me.
"Who's your friend Ethan?" Scott smirked. Ethan swallowed back some beer before frowning.

"It's fucking Alice, you tard." Scott squinted at me before beaming from ear to ear.

"Alice!" he cheered. Ethan shook his head at his friend before sinking into the ocean of people. "You're a cat," Scott observed, looking at my outfit.

"A black cat." I added, picking up my tail and fiddling with it.

"Cookie said you couldn't come to the party."

"Yeah, well, I can now," I said moodily. I looked around the room, thinking I was looking for Cookie so I could glare at her, when really I was probably looking for Ethan, just so I knew where he was.
I turned back to Scott only to face the back of a strangers head. My mouth hung open a little.
I was alone.
Alone in a room full of people.
Oh man. How emo does that sound?
I just needed to lighten up.
I needed to get my head out my ass and have a good time.
I took a lungful of warm stuffy air and weaved in and out of people.
I must have spent a good ten minutes just admiring people's costumes. Some had gone to some real effort.
I noticed many traditional Halloween favourites. Several superheroes. Horror film characters and even some sci-fi fantasy characters. Some brave soul even attempted Dr Frank N Furter from Rocky Horror.
This made me laugh.

After I wandered around the strange house, every room looking the same as the next due to it's amount of people, I leant against a wall and sighed.

"Hey, didn't think you were coming." I looked up at the person stood against the wall next to me. It took me a while to recognise him through all the green zombie make-up.

"Hey, Zach," I said. He nodded at me as he took a sip from his beer. "No, I'm here now."

"You don't have a drink," he observed. He sounded very much sober himself. Probably cause it took a lot more to get him drunk.

"Yeah," I said absent-mindedly as I looked at my empty hands, still clutching my fluffy black tail. "I probably shouldn't have any. I need to be home in about an hour."

"Ah," Zach smiled. "Well, we all know how much of a lightweight you are." I blushed a little. "But I'm sure one wont hurt." I looked up at him and he winked. "No worries, kid. You can handle it. I'm sure Ethan'll look after you." he had a look in his eye that suggested he knew something I didn't. "I'll go get you that drink." Zach moved away from the wall and was swallowed up by the crowd.

I was alone for a bit, wondering where Ethan disappeared to. Next thing I know, I'm standing next to Frankenstein's bride. Literally.

"What do you think you are doing here?" the bride asked harshly. I knew that voice. "You weren't invited."

"Hello Cookie," I said casually. She'd painted any visible skin a dark green colour and had wrapped bandages around her middle like a mini dress. Her vibrant red hair was sprayed and set high above her head and had a white line going down the side. It was quite impressive the effort she must have gone to.

"Shut up. What are you doing here?"

"Ethan brought me," I said, glaring a little at Cookie.

"What?"

"Ethan wants me here."

"Stay the hell away from Ethan you dork. He's only being nice to you cause he pity's you. He doesn't really like you. You don't stand a chance."

"And you think you do?" I shot back. "After what you did to him?" she grabbed my chin and looked me dead in the eye. Her face was scarily close to mine.

"You listen to me," she said in a low threatening voice. "Ethan is mine okay? He belongs to me and he always has. He still wants me. Didn't you know that cupcake? Ethan loves me. He always has and always will. So why don't you get the fuck over yourself and get the fuck out of his life." she let go of my chin and I felt a little piece of me die inside.
So Ethan loves her?
Great.
Fantastic.
Why would I care?
She's got the wrong idea.
Gosh does she look silly right now.

I glanced sadly at my feet as I tried to deny myself the truth and noticed Zach had appeared at my side again.

"So I noticed Cookie will probably never like you," Zach said thoughtfully. I sighed. "It's cause she feels threatened by you." I glanced up at Zach. Why would Cookie feel threatened by someone like me?
Zach laughed, reading my mind.

"Not from any physical perspective, though you still give her a run for her money. But emotional. My guess is she still loves Ethan and is sore that he wont take her back."

"He wont?" I asked, perking up a little.

"Nope. Ignore Cookie. Ethan doesn't love her. Trust me. He tells me everything."

"Oh?" I said, looking to my feet before looking up at Zach again. "What else does he tell you?"

"I'm not in any position to discuss that and I'm not open to bribes. Sorry birdie." I felt the corners of my mouth droop lower than they already were.
I sighed and spotted Cookie across the room. She'd found Ethan. She was all over him.

Ethan?
Well Ethan is a hard lock to pick.
One moment he'd look like he wanted her. Next moment he looked like he wasn't the least bit interested.
I suppose they looked like a good couple, though their matching Halloween costumes probably had something to do with that.
He was some kind of mummy/Frankenstein's monster thing. While she was Frankenstein's bride.
Not hinting anything at all, right?

"She's got it wrong y'know?" I told Zach, not looking away from the pair.

"Huh?" he said.

"She's dressed as Frankenstein's bride thinking Ethan was Frankenstein. When actually Frankenstein is the guy who made the monster, not the monster himself who Ethan has come as."

"Ah. Victor Frankenstein. I see you've read more books than you let on." I smiled at Zach, that brotherly connection coming back.

"Can't escape classics," I shrugged.

"No, you can't," he agreed with a light smile. He took a swig of beer and looked at Ethan and Cookie also.

"So if she's not married to Ethan I guess that means he's back on the market, huh?" Zach smirked at me as I frowned in confusion.
Why would this be good news to me?
It's not as if I like him or anything.

"You best drink that before you run out of time," Zach advised, pointing at my bottle of beer. "See you at school kiddo." he pushed himself away from the wall and walked over to a kid I recognised as his brother. I don't remember the guys name.
I looked back at Ethan, who smirked as Cookie whispered in his ear, and took a long desperate swig from my bottle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to my fabulous readers. Makes me smile.
Thank you to my fabulous commenters. Makes me happy.
Thank you to my fabulous subscribers. Makes my day.

Again, spot any mistakes and give me a shout. I'll fix it. Also, let me know what you think of the story, good or bad thoughts. I really love hearing from you.

Okie Smokie