Status: Active! Comment & Subscribe! : )

Out of Grasp

XI

“JELLYFISH!”

“Don’t touch it! It’ll sting you!”

“It’s out of the water. I assure you, he will not get stung.”

“What if he does? I am not rushing my boyfriend to the hospital because of a fatal jellyfish sting!”

“Touch it, touch it, touch it!”

Pat screamed like a girl as he gently poked the top of the slimy jellyfish with his finger and the ocean current moved it further up the beach and onto his foot. Everyone burst out laughing as he pouted, turning to hide his face in Melanie’s neck. She giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck, her beer bottle still tightly wrapped in her hands.

Garrett, Andrew, Kennedy, Nick and Jared ran around the pebbled beach, jumping over large rocks and racing each other back and forth. We were all completely drunk, having bought more alcohol than physically consumable only an hour ago and downing it like it was going to disappear tomorrow. I walked through the tall grass, watching and laughing at the guys who tripped and toppled over one another and Melanie and Pat who were now pushed up against an abandoned little shack, shamelessly making out.

“We’re not always this insane.” I smiled at John who stepped up beside me, a bottle of half empty beer in hand.

“Somehow I highly doubt that,” I smirk, bring my bottle up to my lips. John chuckles and drinks his own drink, walking comfortably beside me as we paced back and forth.

An easy silence settled around us as we watched our friends run around crazily on the little beach, drinking away happily.

“So, how do you feel about a late night swim?”

“I don’t have a swim suit…”

“Skinny dipping is fun for all.”

I roll my eyes with a giggle as John wiggled his eye brows. “Ask me again when I’m a little more drunk.”

“I will.”

“I don’t doubt that.”

“So, how about we play a game while we wait for you to start slurring your words,” John suggests.

“Does this game involve clothes?” He chuckles and nods his head. “Sure then, I’ll play. What’s the game?”

“Twenty questions. And strap up because I am the twenty questions master.”

“That’s something to be proud of,” I snort, taking a swig from my bottle. He gives me a side glance that makes me laugh, but I motion for him to go on.

“What’s your favorite color?”

“That’s your great question? Some master you are.”

“Just answer the question, smartass.”

“Blue, my favorite color is blue. Hm, can you speak any other languages?”

“French, fluently.You?”

“Impressive. A little Italian from back in high school but that's about it. Have you always known you wanted to be in the music industry?”

“Always, ever since my dad gave me my first guitar. I never had a doubt in my mind that music would take me somewhere. At least I hoped it would because I did shitty in school. But music really was it for me. I could never imagine going to college and sitting around in an office all day or something. I tried the college thing for a little while but it wasn't for me and I dropped out. The band is everything to me.” I smile at the sparkle in his eye that I noticed showed up whenever he talked about his band and music in general. “What’s one thing you’ve never told anyone?”

I stay quiet, thinking for a while as we stop walking and sit down, overlooking all our friends and the small ocean waves that flowed up onto the rocky beach.

“You can’t laugh okay?” I question, turning my gaze over to John who was already looking at me.

“Scouts honor,” he says, putting up three fingers and smiling.

I bit my lip nervously, a weird feeling bubbling in my stomach. It wasn’t much of a secret and there wasn’t really any reason behind it that justified my fear and that made it even more embarrassing. I gave John a nervous smile before looking down at my hands wrapped around the mostly empty beer bottle.

“I’m terrified of the dark.”

“Wait, you're what?” He asked, a smile growing on his lips.

“Don’t smile, this is serious!” I yell, gently smacking his side. “I’m scared of the dark.”

“Any reason behind that fear?”

“Nope, not one. I’m just scared of the dark,” I said, moving my forefinger around the top of the bottle. “I know it’s childish and completely ridiculous, but it's true. I’m a 21 year old girl that’s afraid of the dark.”

I frowned as John’s obnoxious laugh that fills the air around us. I send him a dark glare, but his eyes are closed so he doesn't catch it and his hands are around his stomach, uncontrollable laughter spilling from his lips. I hit his arm rather hard making him groan in pain holding the spot where I hit him, his laugh turning into small giggles.

“Ow.”

“Don’t laugh at me then!”

“I’m not laughing at you,” he murmured with a chuckle. “Okay, well maybe I am a little.”

“John”, I said with a pout.

“It’s cute though, I promise.”

I roll my eyes before leaning back onto the ground, staring up at the stars with my hands resting on my stomach and my empty alcohol bottle on the ground next to me. John followed suit, folding his arms behind his head and looking over at me.

“Don’t tell anyone.”

“I promise I will never tell a soul.” He pulled an arm out from under his head and held out his pinky. I giggled at his preschool promise, but linked my pinky with his nonetheless.

We continued staring at each other, our hazy eyes burning into one another. A piece of my hair fell into my eyes and like a cliché movie, John raised his hand, tucking it behind my ears with a smile and I suddenly felt hot.

My heart pounded in my chest and I swallowed nervously. Our pinkies were still locked and John’s earth colored eyes were boring into mine, a slight glaze over them from all the alcohol. But it was impossible to completely diminish the color of his eyes. They were the first thing I noticed about him and still remained to be one of the top things that stood out.

“I won’t let those monsters get you.” He unlocked our pinky’s and slipped his fingers into mine, giving my hand a squeeze. He lifted my hand to his lips and gave it a gentle kiss, his eyes never dropping their gaze with mine.

I smiled and nodded my head at his promise, my hand tingling where his lips had just touched and my cheeks burning. Shifting slightly, he crawls a few inches closer to me, his legs brushing against mine. Chewing the corner of my lip, I roll onto my side and face him, my thoughts blurring and melting into nothing.

His hand slides over my forearm to hold my elbow, drawing me closer to his body. Our noses brush against one another and I can feel the rise and fall of his chest with every breath he takes. My breathing is labored and the racing of my heart picks up even more, as his face inches closer to mine, if possible.

Our eyes close and his lips graze over mine and I let out a shaky breath. His lips finally connect with mine, and I smile though I try not to, as to not ruin the moment. My heart thumps uncontrollably and my blood races. Every part of me feels completely alive, and all my worries and nerves draw away. He sits up on his elbow and I wrap my arms around his neck, dragging him down further.

John’s arms slowly slide over my waist, his thumbs gliding against the bare skin slipping out from my rising shirt. His touch is cool against my burning skin but it ignites an entirely new feeling. My heartbeat hammers as he pulls me closer, all space between our bodies completely disappearing. I slid one of my hands down his shoulder and over his chest and I could feel his heartbeat matching the pace of mine.

He slowly and reluctantly pulls away, our eyes fluttering open and our breathing labored. He raises his head only slightly away from mine, his nose brushing against my cheek. His nimble fingers draw small, invisible circles on my hip and he smiles as my I feel my cheeks redden.

Our moment only lasts a second longer before catcalls and sexual comments are being thrown our way by our friends.

“Don’t you two get it on out here! I do not want to see my best friends having sex,” I hear Eric yell.

“Me neither!” Tori agrees.

“Watch your hands O’Callaghan. That’s my woman your feeling up,” Nick says, his tone mixed with both seriousness and laughter.

John waves his hand in the air, brushing everyone off. He turns back to me and quickly captures my lips in another kiss before pulling away and giving me a crooked grin.

“So, how about that swim?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd say this chapter makes up for the long wait, yeah?

I apologize if you got a lot of emails about this story. I went back and changed a few things, if you haven't already noticed. "Nicky" is no longer Nicky. Her name is now Melanie. I just realized Nick and Nicky were used a lot and it was getting a bit weird so I decided to change her name just to avoid any confusion. And the layout and description was also changed!

Also, I have another John story going on right now. It'd be awesome if you could check it out!

Hopeless Desires

Thanks for the comments:
vivalajade
Caleb Turman

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this chapter. ; )

Comment & Subscribe