Status: Active! Comment & Subscribe! : )

Out of Grasp

VI

The boys of The Maine became frequent visitors in my life. We worked from being awkward acquaintances to them just walking in my house whenever they pleased in a matter of days. They had such laid back personalities and were comfortable with basically anyone. Whenever they were around, there was no time for boredom nor was it ever quiet. But I was thankful for that; I was tired of the quiet and of sitting around doing nothing. I wanted to do different things and enjoy being 21.

Since the night of the guy's show a little over two weeks ago, Tori's been having me listen to their music nonstop. Not that I mind though; they have really great songs. And John's lyrics are amazing. I always have one of their 3 CD's playing on my ipod or stereo system. I always had a big appreciation for music, but since being around the guys, who literally revolve around music, I've come to like music even more than before. Almost every time I see them, I'm being handed a few new CD's with varying genres.

As I moved around my kitchen, I had Every Avenue playing, swaying my hips and humming along to the lyrics. Tori had let it slip to the guys that I was a really good baker and since then, I've done nothing but bake little things for each of the boys. I was now making a Blueberry Buckle cake, via Garrett's request.

"I got my mindset on you and there's nothing you can do to change my mind about it!" I sang out loud, dancing around the kitchen with the bowl full of cake batter in my arms.

"Inside out you're beautiful!" I let out a surprised scream as a male voice floated through the kitchen. I spun around, my heart beating out of my chest. Garrett stood in the kitchen doorway, a smirk on his face, Kennedy and Jared on either side of him.

"Don't let us stop you," Jared laughed.

"Yeah, your dance moves are....good," Kennedy smiled, moving further into the kitchen.

"Shut up. I thought I was alone." I could feel my face heating up. I looked down at the batter in the bowl to keep my red face out of view.

The guys simply chuckled, Jared giving my shoulder a squeeze. I rolled my eyes and continued baking, ignoring their comments about my dance moves. Kennedy and Garrett jumped up on the counter while Jared took a seat at the island situated in the middle of the kitchen, all of them just watching me as I read over the recipe and quietly sang along to the music.

We talked idly, learning more about each other. They filled me in about The Maine's past and what they did as teenagers, telling me about embarrassing stories and situations that bordered law breaking. It was so easy to talk to them and conversation just flowed easily.
When the cake was done, I literally had to fight them off as I took it out of the oven.

"I wanna try it first!" Kennedy said.

"What? Fuck no, dude! I asked her to make it!" Garrett said, jumping down from the counter.

"Guys, it's just-..."

"Yeah, well I claimed first piece. You snooze, you lose!"

"I met her first!"

"Guys! It's cake! You can all have a piece," I laughed. "But, we have to wait for it to cool first,"

Garrett groaned, "Awh, come on! It smells so good!!"

"If I cut it now, it'll just fall to pieces,"

"It's going to be chewed up and in my stomach any way!" Garrett tried reasoning.

"Suck it up, you baby,"

"Emily," he whined, stomping his feet.

"Really Garrett?"

"I want cake!"

"They have black holes for stomachs. Try living on a bus with them for 10 months out of the year," Jared said.

I turned to him, where he was calmly watching his band mates temper tantrum from his seat. "I feel for you." Jared laughed at my response, shrugging his shoulders.

Garrett and Kennedy muttered out small "Heys!" between their faux angry faces. We sat in the kitchen talking and eating-once the cake cooled enough to cut it. After a good hour, my front door slammed open and Melanie's voice rang throughout the house.

"Anybody home?" she shouted.

"In the kitchen!"

The three of us watched the doorway until we finally saw her practically skip around the corner. She stopped in her tracks, looking at Garrett and Kennedy who were now on the floor, their shirts lifted up and their hands on their distended stomachs.

"Uh, what's wrong with you two?" She asked, an amused look on her face.

"Emily is the mother of our food babies," Kennedy groaned, rolling over onto his side.

"I-...you know what? I'm not even going to ask," she said, jumping up onto the counter. "John's looking for you," she said, after situating herself comfortably.

I sat up in my seat, my cheeks taking a pink tint at the smirk Jared and Mel were giving me. I hadn't talked to John in a few days. Somehow every time we met up, we forgot to trade phone numbers. And for whatever reason, neither of us asked our friends for the others number.

"Yeah?"

"Mhm," she hummed. She was eyeing me, gauging my reaction to what she said. "Do you want his number?"

"Uh, yeah, sure, that'd be great." I pulled my phone out from my back pocket and handed it to her. She took her phone out and after plunging in his number, handed me my phone back.

"I suggest you call him as soon as possible. He's been asking about you literally all day. I was hanging with him, Pat and Tim, Pat's brother, but his constant whining about having not seen you in a long time was pissing me off, so I left."

"We talked a few days ago," I mumbled, opening up a blank text.

Hey! : ) It's Em. I wrote.

"For John, that's a few days too many." Jared said, rolling his eyes playfully. I scrunched my nose up in confusion. "Oh please, don't act clueless," he said.

"I honestly have no idea what you're talking about."

"Emily, seriously, whenever you two are around each other the air is full of sexual tension," Garrett said, finally standing up from the floor.

"We are not...sexually tense,"

Everyone, including Kenny who I thought had passed out, laughed at how I worded that. Or maybe they were laughing because they knew, as well as I did, that that wasn't the full truth.

My phone beeped, signaling a new text message.

Hey! What's up? : )

Hanging out with Jared, Melanie, Garrett, and Kennedy! What about you?

"Honestly, it's like being in a room with a 13 year old horny boy and his first crush," Kennedy said, waving a hand in the air. Jared grabbed it and helped Kennedy stand.

"It's disgusting sometimes," Garrett grimaced, looking at the half eaten cake with distaste. Melanie slapped his arm, giving him a pointed look.

"Your face is disgusting,"

"Oh, good come back. I'm gonna go cry in a corner now,"

"Good. Then I won't have to look at your ugly face any longer,"

"Suck my dick," Garrett muttered.

"Present it!"

"Children, children. Do I need to put both of you in a corner?" I mocked.

"No, mom," they both muttered, looking down with mock pouts on their faces.

"Good," I said, as my phone beeped again.

You are having a party with my friends and you didn't invite me? I see how it is. :P

It's only a party for cool people ; ). I typed back.

"What time is it?" Jared suddenly asked.

"Time for you to get a watch," I said, giving him a playful look. He mimicked me, followed by ruffling my hair. I smacked his hand away, scrunching my nose and smoothing my hair back down.

"It's almost 5 o'clock," Kennedy answered, slipping his phone into the front pocket of his jeans. I honestly don't understand how any of these boys are able to put anything in their jean pockets. They wear skinny jeans tighter than mine.

I looked down at my phone, confirming the time, just as it beeped again.

"Don't we have a band meeting at Pat and Tim's tonight?" I heard Jared ask as I read John's text.

So, why are you there then? ; ) I let out a small laugh.

Obviously, because I'm so cool : D Everyone's actually just mocking me.

"Yeah, Tim wants to talk about new shirt designs," Garrett nodded.

"Sounds fun,"Melanie said, making a face.

"As long as you're not there, it will be."

"Garrett, I'm about to put you in a corner,"I reprimanded, my phone beeping again.

Right, right..... ; ) Want me to beat them up for you?

I put them both in their place so it's all good now., I typed, blocking out the sound of Melanie and Garrett still arguing. I think the guys are leaving now though for your band meeting.

The guys all stood up from where they were seated just as I finished typing my message and Mel and I followed behind them as they walked to my front door. They slipped on their shoes, before turning towards me.

"Thanks for the cake Em, even if it did leave me impregnated," Kennedy said, bring me in a for hug. I laughed out loud, playfully smacking his arm when he pulled away. Garrett and Jared both gave me a hug too, before following Kennedy out the door.

My phone beeped from in my hand.

Okay, if you ever need me to beat them up, don't be afraid to ask. I may look scrawny but I'm packing more muscle than you think! I giggled quietly to myself. We have a real quick meeting on some new merch. Do you have any plans for the rest of the night?

Oh, I bet. You look like a real body builder. : P Melanie's still here, so it depends. Why do you ask?

"Still texting John?" Melanie asked. I looked up from my phone, seeing her standing in front of me, her arms crossed and a smirk on her face.

"Maybe,"

"You so are! You haven't stopped smiling for the last like 15 minutes. It was getting kinda creepy,"

"You're creepy!"

Melanie laughed and rolled her eyes at my lame comeback. "What are you two talking about that has you so happy?"

"Nosey much?"

"Just curious. Come on, I gave you his number, the least you could do is keep me filled on your guys' rendez-vous,"

"We aren't 'rendez-vou'-ing,"I said, "We're just casually talking." My phone beeped just as I finished speaking.

It's why you like me. Chicks dig big guns ; ). Well, I should be done with the guys by 7:30 or so. Wanna catch a movie?

I looked up at Melanie, who hadn't stopped watching me as I read my new message. "Are you planning on staying?" I asked her, trying to act as casual as possible.

Her smirk grew. It seems like this entire group of friends only smirks. "Why? Better plans?" she asked.

"No, no. Just asking..." I trailed off.

Oh yeah, your "huge guns" turn me on so much! ; D I finally typed back, leaving out my answer to the movies.

"What aren't you telling me?" Melanie asked, taking a step towards me.

"What?" I asked, trying to act as innocent as possible. "Nothing,"

"Emily, I may not have known you very long, but you are a horrible liar," she laughed.

I rolled my eyes. That I knew. I was never good at lying. I always did something to give myself away, whether it be avoiding eye contact, stuttering, not making any sense or scrunching my nose, which I do a lot anyway.

"John wants to know if we can go see a movie tonight," I said, trying to keep my voice level. Melanie had no intentions of doing that.

"What?! He asked you out!? Oh my god! I need to text Tori. Now." She pulled her phone out from her pocket, speedily typing away on her blackberry.

"Why? It's just the movies."

"Emily, he asked you out! This is a big deal!" She said, finishing her message, bring her eyes up to meet mine. They were filled with the same excitement that I was trying to contain. "John O'Callaghan just asked you out on a date."
♠ ♠ ♠
We're finally getting to the good stuff!

Thanks for the comments:
punkgurl56
Alyssaistheway

Comment & Subscribe