Grow

The Mountain

Have you ever been lost before?

Normal kids get lost in Wal-Mart stores. They get distracted by the shiny toys and leave their mother. Now, the mother can look for hours on end but if she can't find her offspring, she can get someone on the microphone to call little Johnny over to the front of the store. Then it's okay. Johnny was just by the toy section and he comes running, his face a little hot at the thought of how angry his mother would be but no really harm was really done.

Me? I guess I'm not that normal then because I was once lost on a mountain.

I was at the top with my brother, aunt, and cousin. My brother and cousin made their way down first. I told my aunt that I would go catch up to them. "I'll be fine." I must have told her. "I can do it."

No. I really couldn't.

I saw them up ahead. I didn't want to seem weak. So I just tried to walk faster. But they were going too fast for me. They didn't know I was trying to follow them. So when they turned past a tree and I rushed up to that point, they were gone.

A mountain. A different state than my home. Right. Best place to be lost on. I did make it to the bottom only slightly scratched, though. Each trail had a different shape. I remember mine was a triangle. So I followed that on route. Lucky me, there was a group of campers, I suppose, on the same trail. I asked to walk with them, they said it was fine.

By the time I got to the bottom, my arm was red and I had lost my breath because when I fell the first time, my chest managed to land on top of a log while my arm was scratched up by surrounding branches. The people helped me up but I was mortified.

I waited in the parking lot and my family found me. I had never been more embarrassed in my entire life. But as I silently cried hot tears of shame in the back seat of the pick up truck, I smelled a faint scent of flowers in the air.