Grow

Keep It Going

I saw a picture of myself the other day. I was around seven years old, I suppose. I had my easily distinguishable white-blond hair, a small smile, and those big blue eyes. I had squinted just a little. The picture itself wasn't all that amazing but I think it was my expression that made me think it was a great photo.

I was happy.

Times were simpler then. Loony Tunes were still allowed to show on the afternoons. I was still under the impression that all four of the Beatles were still around. I could have eaten ten bowls of Froot Loops and not think twice about it. Our yellow lab was just getting out of her puppy stage. I had my first friends. Traveling was as easy as pie. I never looked forward to sleeping.

But, as we all know, Life has to balance things. With every good thing comes a not-so-good thing. I started watching the news. September 11th reared its ugly head and that was the end of all thoughts of complete safety. The dog got old. Loony Tunes were exiled into the very early weekday mornings.

When I look at the photo, I see a girl so much younger than me. The photo itself must be ten years old but it feels like a century ago. At times, I almost felt sorry for the girl who looked square in the face of the camera. I thought, "Get ready for a bumpy ride."

I also sort of envied my past self. She laughed more often. She had a better outlook. She didn't have any scars on her body other than the chicken pox scar by her shoulder. She had a picture-perfect life. All of it would change so soon and she didn't even know it.

Yet with change, there are new doors. New people walk in. Some of the old stay or go, depending on their own situation. I had been dealing with the notion that anyone I would ever become close to would eventually abandon me. It started with a very old friend and just kept going on and on. It was a cursed merry-go-round and I was the only passenger on the ride.

Yet, there are people, beautiful people, out there. People who will make you want to cry, laugh, and sing all at the same time. There are genuinely good people out there in the big blue world that only want to please people; to help people. Sure, there are people who want the exact opposite. It's easy to see especially on the TV. But if you look hard enough, you'll see that there are people everywhere, in every country, that are Good. You may or may not see it making the front page of the top newspaper but you can keep it alive in your own heart if you want it to. All you have to do is keep it going.