Beginnings Aren't So Simple

I Feel Surrounded

“I want to try… just one more thing, before we go back,” Joe said somewhat quietly, not quite looking Roxi in the eyes. The meadow surrounding them was stunning, the colors of the sunset blending.

“Wh—what’s that?” she asked, her hands fidgeting.

And, then and there, Joe tenderly kissed her dead on the lips.


Roxi sat straight up, her bangs clinging to her forehead, and moaned. This was the second time. She considered holding off on re-reading Twilight. She kicked the curtain open with her feet and greeted Nick.

“You’re finally up,” he commented, fully dressed.

“Mmph, damn you… waking up early,” she groggily stretched, as he threw something white at her.

“What the hell… are you throwing marshmallows at meee,” she groaned, throwing it back.

“For yesterday.” He said, getting up. “Kev woke up in the middle of the night and put you back in your bunk. After kicking us out,” he grumbled kiddingly, as Roxi laughed.

“So, what’re we doing today, Nicholas?” Roxi smirked.

Nick gasped overdramatically, and then recovered. “Today, we’re hitting DC.”

“Al-fucking-ready? Wow,” Roxi mused.

“No more profanities, Roxi,” Joe said, suddenly appearing.

“I’ll say whatever the fuck I want, Jonas,” she spat back.

“Which one of us are you talking to?” Kevin said out of the corner of her eye.

“God damn it, I feel surrounded,” she muttered. The boys laughed at her, and she noticed they weren’t moving. “Where’s everyone? Are we stopped?”

“Yeah, we are. Your Aunt is on Miley’s bus before she comes on ours,” Kevin replied.

Roxi moaned in agony. “Why must she come here? DIEEE,” she punched a pillow.

“You don’t like her?” Nick asked.

“No. I think she’s a bitch,” Roxi replied quite proudly.

“Oh,” Nick said, taken aback. “I think she’s okay.”

“Nick’s got a cruuush,” Joe sang tauntingly.

“Shut up,” he muttered back.

A few seconds later, they all heard the bus door’s lock quiver.

“Dear god, no!” Roxi shouted overdramatically, but Kevin put his hand over her mouth.

“Let’s hold off on that, honey. We’re doing business, alright?” Kevin said, trying to sound parental. Roxi shrugged like a little kid. When she looked back up, there was bright-eyed Miley herself, talking around Nick and Roxi’s Aunt. She sighed, and figured that she should try to make it at least appear that she didn’t hate this chick.

In a pausing point in her and Nick’s conversation, Nick looked at Roxi and began, “Oh, this is Roxi; she’s on tour with us. She’s Caroline’s niece.”

Miley looked her up and down, nodded, threw in an obviously fake smile, and carried on with Nick. Roxi rolled her eyes and went back to Joe.

“I hate her.”

“It’s to be expected. She’s jealous.” Joe patted her on the head and walked away.

She turned in his direction. “I’m not a fucking dog, but thanks anyway.”