Beginnings Aren't So Simple

What's Wrong?

After attempting conversation, Joe gave up and stalked off to his bunk. He climbed in and closed the curtain, sighing. It's only three, he muttered to himself. He couldn't go back to sleep, so he pulled out a manga that he'd started reading a few days ago, Death Note. He realized it was on Cartoon Network, but he loved the artwork.

After L was introduced, he gave up and stared at the ceiling, concentrating on the patterns in the wooden ceiling. He began thinking.

He remembered when Roxi first came and met them, and how he thought she was such a self-centered bitch... now, she'd actually convinced him that she was quite the opposite, she was --

No. He couldn't bring himself to say it. Frustrated, he leapt out of his bunk, but a black book caught his eye. He went over to Roxi's bed, seeing it was a novel. Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer.

He figured she wouldn't mind if he read the first chapter.

Time lapsed, and before he knew it, he was ending the fifth chapter. Before he could read the last paragraph, Roxi walked in.

"Hey," she said, walking to her bunk, and stopping. "You reading my book?"

He shoved it back in her bed, embarrassed. "Yeah... uh, looked interesting...? Sorry."

"Nah, it's alright," she said, fishing her sweater out of her bag. "Just don't lose my bookmark." She paused. "You can borrow it. I've been needing to hold out on reading it again."

Joe stared at her thoughtfully. "You've read this huge thing before?"

"Yeah, five times, going for the sixth," she said, flashed a smile, and left.

Joe sighed and, making sure no one was looking, stole back into his bunk and opened the book again.

What Joe didn't know was what Roxi was doing. She was curled on the couch, relaxing, and dialing a number on her cell phone.

"Hello?" a male voice picked up, slightly depressed.

"Heya, Trace-ness," she answered.

"Whoa, you're fast, it's only been, like, five minutes," he replied, and she could almost see something was wrong.

"You okay?" she asked.

"Not... really, I guess," he sighed, loudly.

"What's wrong?"

"Break-up."

"Oh, no, Trace... how?"

"Three-year girlfriend... uhm, I don't really know why... I think she was pressured with how we're more well known and things like that..."

"Oh, Trace. I'm sorry."

"It's alright, Rox."

She didn't object to him calling her that. "Well, I best be off, before Nick starts to wonder where I am. I'm supposed to be playing, like, Scrabble with him, or... something."

Trace laughed. "Alright, bye."

"Adios."

She hung up, and, smiling, went to go find Nick.