Beginnings Aren't So Simple

I Don't Want to Know

Roxi immidiately turned, reflexes sharp. Her eyes darted to places, feeling her pupils get larger and smaller repeatedly.

"Kevin?" she called out. "Nick? Joe?"

Hearing the bus entrance click open, she saw a very drenched Kevin and Nick.

"What the hell happened out there?" she asked, eyeing them both.

"Miley called us outside to help find her little dog, since Trace wasn't anywhere to be found," Kevin said, pushing his soaking hair back.

"And Kevin, being the adult he is, had to go and help," Nick said, crossing his arms at Kevin playfully.

"Hey, you liked it," Kevin teased. "We all know."

"Know what?" Roxi asked.

"I'm not sure, and I don't want to find out," Nick mumbled, and then smiled.

"I'm going to get you guys some towels," Roxi said thoughtfully, and then ventured to the bathroom. She knocked on the door.

"Hey, Joe, can I come in? I need to get your brothers some towels," Roxi said loudly with a smile.

No answer.

"Seriously. They're freakin' soaked." She giggled nervously and knocked again.

"Joe?" Her eyebrows sunk down in worry.

"What? Sorry, sorry..." an answer lightened her mood and Joe opened the door with two towels; Roxi took them from his hands, but looked up at him in worry.

"What's wrong...?" she inquired, examining his glassy eyes and straight lips.

"Nothing, I just... nothing," he closed the door in her face. She stood there out of shock for a few moments, and then handed off the towels to Kevin and Nick.

- - -

It was later in the night. Roxi and the Jonases had watched the classic; Napoleon Dynamite. Roxi was cuddled into Kevin like they were best friends (and, some days, they were), and Joe and Nick were on different seats. After the movie was over, Roxi yawned.

"I'm beat, I think I'm going to bed," she said, grabbing an extra flannel blanket from the closet.

"Me, too," Nick followed her, and Joe and Kevin were left in the room, now watching the local news. Joe shifted in his seat and stared at the ceiling.

In the bunk area, Roxi was about to close her curtain when Nick interrupted her.

"Goodnight, Roxi," he said, and saluted her. She smiled.

"'Night, Nick," she said, and closed the curtain.

She stared at the ceiling, in deep thought. Something was wrong with Joe today. Could that have connected with Trace? Was he afraid of Trace? No, he wasn't an intimidating guy...

Roxi was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard pacing near the bunks. She heard the whispers of two people, and this set her off. Her eyes gave in and she snuggled underneath the covers.