Beginnings Aren't So Simple

He'd Totally Understand

A week later, Roxi found herself avoiding Trace Cyrus as much as possible.

During the afternoon, the blond teenager was alone in the bus making some lunch for herself. She carelessly flipped the grilled cheese sandwich over and stared at the television that the boys left on before going off to sound check.

Roxi turned back to her sandwich and turned off the stove, but was caught off guard by a pair of warm arms wrapping around her waist.

"Oh!" she giggled and then turned around to face a certain dark haired teenager.

Joe laughed and leaned closer to her. "How're you, darling?"

"I'm fine," Roxi blushed. She turned back to her sandwich and cut it in half. "Want some lunch?" she said to Joe before slipping the sandwich onto her plate down.

The couple sat down at the table and shared the sandwich together. Apparently, Joe sneaked out of sound check to come and see his girlfriend.

"You're so sweet..." Roxi commented, a smile lingering at the end of every word.

The older boy chuckled and took a small bite out of his part of the sandwich. "Are you going to come to the concert tonight? I'd really like you there."

Roxi nodded slowly. "Sure."

Lately, she made excuses to not attend the concert. In reality, she wouldn't want to run into Trace.

"Unless you're doing something, then..." Joe started.

His girlfriend giggled, and cut him off. "No! It's fine. Trust me, it's fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

Joe's lips curled into a smile as he took her hand. "Okay, then."

The bus door swung open, and the familiar red headed aunt of Roxi's walked in, looking down at a setlist in her hands.

Immediately, the couple withdrew their hands and acted casual. Caroline haven't found out that they're dating yet. When the time comes, I'll tell her! Roxi would always tell Joe whenever they came across a situation like this.

"There you are, Joe!" her aunt said, tossing aside the setlist. "Your brothers are looking for you! You need to finish up your sound check."

Joe looked at Roxi for a second, and then at her aunt. "O-Okay. Bye, Roxi." he waved a hand at her, and then walked out of the bus.

When Joe was gone, Caroline turned to her niece with a curious expression on her face. "What were you guys doing here alone?"

"N-Nothing!" Roxi felt the tip of her ears burn. "We were just eating some lunch and watching cartoons. See?" she nodded towards the television set and held out the plate.

"Mm, I see," her aunt said, then took a piece of the sandwich and shoved it into her mouth. After she chewed and swallowed, she slid into the booth next to Roxi. "I've noticed you've been hanging out with him more and more."

"Really?" her niece croaked and twirled the end of her hair awkwardly.

"Mhm," her aunt nodded. Her eyes were fixed on the television set. "You know, I heard somewhere that Joe was dating someone. You better watch out for yourself, Rox. His girlfriend might get a tad jealous."

"Really?" Roxi said yet again. Her fingers wandered off the end of her hair and were now taping on the cushion under them.

Her aunt laughed and stretched. "Yeah. Well, I better go see if the lighting's done for tonight. Bye, Rox."

She left quickly, leaving Roxi with an empty plate. The teenager sighed and washed it before slumping into the back of the bus. She locked herself in the bathroom and stripped off her clothes before hoping into the shower.

As she worked in the shampoo, she found her mind wandering back to Trace.

You have to face him sometime.

She rinsed her hair and cleaned herself up some more before turning off the shower and stepping out to wrap herself in her warm white towel.

He's your friend; he'd totally understand.

She blow dried her hair and put on some clothes after she dried up. Right...?

Moments later, she was walking outside of the bus with a waterbottle in hand. Her eyes wandered here and there in search for Trace, and finally she found the dark haired brother of Miley's leaning against the wall, sidekick in hand.